Truth Speaks inwardly without the Sound of Words (2)

Rich

Jul 29, 2023, 4:23:38 AM7/29/23
Truth Speaks inwardly without the Sound of Words (2)

The children of Israel once said to Moses: “Speak thou to us and we
will hear thee: let not the Lord speak to us, lest we die.” Exod.
20:19. Not so, Lord, not so do I pray. Rather with Samuel the prophet
I entreat humbly and earnestly:
“Speak, Lord, for Thy servant heareth.” Do not let Moses or any of the
prophets speak to me; but You speak, O Lord God, Who inspired and
enlightened all the prophets; for You alone, without them, can
instruct me perfectly, whereas they, without You, can do nothing.
They, indeed, utter fine words, but they cannot impart the spirit.
They do indeed speak beautifully, but if You remain silent they cannot
inflame the heart. They deliver the message; You lay bare the sense.
They place before us mysteries, but You unlock their meaning. They
proclaim commandments; You help us to keep them. They point out the
way; You give strength for the journey. They work only outwardly; You
instruct and enlighten our hearts. They water on the outside; You give
the increase.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Book 3, Chapter 2

<<>><<>><<>>
29 July – Blessed Pope Urban II

Bishop, Pope, Abbot, Confessor – born Odo of Châtillon or Otho de
Lagery, was Pope from 12 March 1088 to his death in 1099. Born at
Lagery, France and died on 29 July 1099 in Rome, Italy of natural
causes.

Urban II was a native of France. He was a descendant of a noble family
in Châtillon-sur-Marne. Reims was the nearby cathedral school that
Urban, at that time Eudes, began his studies at 1050, under St Bruno
O.Cart. (c 1030 -1101), afterwards founder of the Carthusians. Otho
later became canon and archdeacon at Reims.

About 1070 he retired to Cluny and was professed there under the abbot
St Hugh. After holding the office of prior, he was sent by St Hugh to
Rome as one of the monks asked for by Gregory VII. Otho was of great
assistance to Gregory in the difficult task of reforming the Church.

On 12 March, 1088, he was unanimously elected Bishop of Rome, taking
the title of Urban II. His first act was to proclaim his election to
the world and to exhort the princes and bishops who had been loyal to
Gregory to continue in their allegiance. Urban declared his intention
of following the policy and example of his great predecessor – “all
that he rejected, I reject, what he condemned I condemn, what he loved
I embrace, what he considered as Catholic, I confirm and approve”.

Due to issues with the Normans, Urban was unable to stay in Rome. He
went to Sicily instead and Southern Italy. There was also an antipope
in Rome. Eventually, the troops of pope and antipope met in a
desperate encounter which lasted three days, with Urban’s troops
winning and Urban returning to Rome. Urban was again expelled from
Rome by Emperor Henry IV. For three years he was compelled to wander
in exile about southern Italy. He spent the time holding councils and
improving the character of ecclesiastical discipline.

Urban also started dealing with a Crusade request during a council
held at Piacenza. The Eastern Emperor, Alexius I, had sent an embassy
to the pope asking for help against the Seljuk Turks who were a
serious menace to the Empire of Constantinople. Urban succeeded in
inducing many of those present to promise to help Alexius but no
definite step was taken till a few months later, when he summoned the
most famous of his councils, that at Clermont in Auvergne. The council
met in November, 1095 – thirteen archbishops, two hundred and
twenty-five bishops and over ninety abbots answered the pope’s
summons. The synod met in the Church of Notre-Dame du Port and began
by reiterating the Gregorian Decrees against simony, investiture and
clerical marriage.

Thousands of nobles and knights had met together for the council. It
was decided that an army of horse and foot should march to rescue
Jerusalem and the Churches of Asia from the Saracens. A plenary
indulgence was granted to all who should undertake the journey pro
sola devotione and further to help the movement, the Truce of God was
extended and the property of those who had taken the cross was to be
looked upon as sacred.

Coming forth from the church the pope addressed the immense multitude.
He used his wonderful gifts of eloquence to the utmost, depicting the
captivity of the Sacred City where Christ had suffered and died

– “Let them turn their weapons dripping with the blood of their
brothers against the enemy of the Christian Faith. Let them,
oppressors of orphans and widows, murderers and violators of churches,
robbers of the property of others, vultures drawn by the scent of
battle, let them hasten, if they love their souls, under their captain
Christ to the rescue of Sion.”

In October, 1098, the pope held a council at Bari with the intention
of reconciling the Greeks and Latins on the question of the filioque
“and from the Son”. One hundred and eighty bishops attended, amongst
whom was St Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109) Doctor of the Church. The
close of November saw the pope again in Rome; it was his final return
to the city. Here he held his last council in April, 1099. Once more
he raised his eloquent voice on behalf of the Crusades and many
responded to his call. On 15 July, 1099, Jerusalem fell before the
attack of the crusaders but Urban did not live to hear the news.

He died in the house of Pierleone which had so often given him
shelter. His remains could not be buried in the Lateran because of the
antipope’s followers who were still in the city but were conveyed to
the crypt of St Peter’s where they were interred close to the tomb of
Adrian I. Guibert of Nogent asserts that miracles were wrought at the
tomb of Urban, who appears as a saint in many of the Martyrologies.
Thus there seems to have been a cult of Urban II from the time of his
death, though the feast (29 July) has never been extended to the
Universal Church.

Amongst the figures painted in the apse of the oratory built by
Calixtus II in the Lateran Palace is that of Urban II with the words
sanctus Urbanus secundus beneath it. The head is crowned by a square
nimbus and the pope is represented at the feet of Our Lady. The
formal act of Beatification did not take place till the pontificate of
Leo XIII. The cause was introduced by Mgr Langenieux, Archbishop of
Reims, in 1878 and after it had gone through the various stages the
decision was given by Leo XIII on 14 July 1881.

https://anastpaul.com/2019/07/29/

Saint Quote:
The powers of hell will assail the dying Christian; but his angel
guardian will come to console him. His patrons, and Saint Michael, who
has been appointed by God to defend his faithful servants in their
last combat with the devils, will come to his aid.
--Saint Alphonsus Liguori

Bible Quote
Let no evil speech proceed from your mouth; but that which is good, to
the edification of faith, that it may administer grace to the hearers.
[Ephesians 4:29] DRV

<><><><>
Prayer Against Envy

O my God, Thou so lovest the world that Thou gaveth Thy only begotten
Son so that all who believe in Thee might not perish, but may have
eternal life. Thou maketh the sun rise upon the good and the bad, and
Thou raineth upon the just and the unjust. Yet I am filled with
jealousy while others prosper. I want everything to come to me, and I
am saddened by my neighbor's least good fortune! O what inhuman
malice! O infernal poison! Forgive, o most loving Father what up to
this point has been my sin. Gentle is Thy mercy. From the depths of
that mercy, grant that henceforth I may be robed in kindness as a
chosen one of God. May I also, above all, strive to have charity,
which is the bond of perfection. (Col. 3:14)

Ant. Remember not, Lord, my offenses, nor the offenses of my fathers,
nor takest Thou vengeance upon them.