Few miracles done because of their unbelief

Weedy

Aug 7, 2022, 2:59:12 AM8/7/22
Few miracles done because of their unbelief

"It seems to me that the production of miracles is similar in some
ways to the case of physical things. Cultivation is not sufficient to
produce a harvest of fruits unless the soil, or rather the atmosphere,
cooperates to this end. And the atmosphere of itself is not sufficient
to produce a harvest without cultivation. The one who providentially
orders creation did not design things to spring up from the earth
without cultivation. Only in the first instance did he do so when he
said, 'Let the earth bring forth vegetation, with the seed sowing
according to its kind and according to its likeness' (Genesis 1:11).
It is just this way in regard to the production of miracles. The
complete work resulting in a healing is not displayed without those
being healed exercising faith. Faith, of whatever quality it might be,
does not produce a healing without divine power.'
by Origen of Alexandria (excerpt from the COMMENTARY ON MATTHEW 10.19)

<<>><<>><<>>
August 7th - St. Victricius of Rouen, Bishop (RM)

8th archbishop of Rouen, friend of St. Martin of Tours (Sulpic. Sev.
Dial. iii. 2; Boll. Acta SS. Aug. ii. 194) and St. Paulinus of Nola,
to whose letters we owe some details of his life. He became bishop of
Rouen before 390, and occupied himself with the conversion of the
heathen Morini and Nervii in Flanders and Brabant. He was summoned in
394 or 395 to Britain to assist the bishops there in re-establishing
peace, probably in their contest with Pelagianism (Victricius, Lib. de
Laude SS., Migne, Patr. Lat. xx. 443). An accusation of heresy, as it
seems (cf. Ceillier, viii. 76), brought him to Rome at the close of
403 to defend himself before the pope (Paulinus, Ep. xxxvii. [36],
Migne, Patr. Lat. lxi. 353). While there he received, in answer to a
request for information, the famous letter of Innocent I. called the
Libor Regularum, treating of various heads of ecclesiastical practice
and discipline (Patr. Lat. lvi. 519). [INNOCENTIUS.] The church at
Rouen flourished under his care. The relics he obtained, the musical
services he instituted, and the devotion—under his guidance—of the
virgins and widows, caused the city, hitherto unknown, to be spoken of
with reverence in distant lands, and counted among cities famed for
their sacred spots (Paulinus, Ep. xviii. § 5, Patr. Lat. col. 239). In
409 he was apparently dead (Ep. xlviii. col. 398). (Migne, Patr. Lat.
xx. 437, 438; Hist. Litt. ii. 752-754; Le Brun in Boll. Acta SS. u.s.;
Gall. Christ. xi. 7.)

An extant treatise or sermon called the Libor de Laude Sanctorum,
composed on the occasion of the receipt of some relics from St.
Ambrose of Milan, was formerly ascribed to St. Germanus of Auxerre
(Hist. Litt. ii. 261, 750), but the discovery of a MS. at St. Gall, in
the 18th cent., made it clear that it belonged to Victricius (see
Praefatio of the abbé Lebeuf in Migne, Patr. Lat. xx. 437-442) It
gives a few details of the condition of the church at Rouen. Paulinus
had perhaps read this document (Ep. xviii.).

http://www.ccel.org/w/wace/biodict/htm/iii.xxii.xxi.htm

Saint Quote
However great the work that God may achieve by an individual, he must
not indulge in self-satisfaction. He ought rather to be all the more
humbled, seeing himself merely as a tool which God has made use of.
--St. Vincent de Paul

Bible Quote:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves,
and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will
I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sins, and will heal their
land." (2 Chronicles 7:14) "

<><><><>
THIRTY-ONE DAYS OF PRAYER FOR THE HOLY SOULS
FROM THE PURGATORIAN MANUAL (Imprimatur 1946)

Eleventh Day

OUR DUTY TO RELIEVE THE SOULS IN PURGATORY

In bestowing charity upon any person, we are usually guided by
the degree of his poverty; but, who is in such great need as he who
possesses absolutely nothing, owes a heavy debt, is unable to labor or
gain any merit, or even to beg, and must nevertheless suffer the most
excruciating torments until the last farthing has been paid? There is
a universal law to assist the needy, which extends even to strangers ;
but here the obligation is greatest, because among these souls in
Purgatory, are such as were intimately connected with us, who suffer,
perhaps, for having loved us excessively. Among the sufferers are our
fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, relatives, and friends. How
exceedingly painful for them to be forgotten and deserted even by
those whose happiness they promoted during their sojourn upon earth;
to see the possessions left to their children foolishly squandered,
they themselves not receiving the benefit of the least farthing
thereof ! What proofs of extreme coldness and ingratitude ! Were any
of these persons afflicted with the least pain upon earth, we would do
all in our power to relieve them, but, as it is, we are devoid of all
sympathy, and leave them in their terrible suffering and anguish.

Prayer: Have mercy, O Lord, upon the suffering souls in Purgatory, and
mitigate the severity of Thy judgment, that they, who, during their
earthly lives believed in Thee hoped in Thee, and loved Thee, may
receive the crown of justice in Heaven. Through Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

Special Intercession: Pray for the souls of those who are suffering
for their negligence in-praying for the souls in Purgatory.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine
upon them; may they rest in peace. Amen. (Three times)

Practice: Suffer patiently the disagreeable occurrences in your
intercourse with others.

Invocation: My Jesus, mercy!