The Way Sometimes Seems Long and Weary.

Weedy

Nov 2, 2022, 4:51:58 AM11/2/22
The Way Sometimes Seems Long and Weary.

The way sometimes seems long and weary. So many people today are
weary. The weariness of others must often be shared by me. The weary
and the heavy laden, when they come to me, should be helped to find
the rest that I have found. There is only one sure cure for
world-weariness and that is turning to spiritual things. In order to
help bring about the turning of the weary world to God, I must dare to
suffer, dare to conquer selfishness in myself, and dare to be filled
with spiritual peace in the face of all the weariness of the world. I
pray that I may be a help to discouraged people. I pray that I may
have the courage to help bring about what the weary world needs but
does not know how to get.
--From Twenty-Four Hours a Day

<<>><<>><<>>
• November 2nd - St. Victorinus of Pettau

An ecclesiastical writer who flourished about 270, and who suffered
martyrdom probably in 303, under Diocletian.

He was bishop of the City of Pettau (Petabium, Poetovio), on the
Drave, in Styria (Austria); hence his surname of Petravionensis or
sometimes Pictaviensis, e.g. in the Roman Martyrology, where he is
registered under 2 November, which long caused it to be thought that
he belonged to the Diocese of Poitiers (France). Until the seventeenth
century he was likewise confounded with the Latin rhetorician,
Victorinus After. According to St. Jerome, who gives him an honourable
place in his catalogue of ecclesiastical writers, Victorinus composed
commentaries on various books of Holy Scripture, such as Genesis,
Exodus, Leviticus, Isaias, Ezechiel, Habacuc, Ecclesiastes, the
Canticle of Canticles, St. Matthew, and the Apocalypse, besides
treatises against the heresies of his time.

All his works have disappeared save extracts from his commentaries on
Genesis and the Apocalypse, if indeed these texts are really a remnant
of his works, concerning which opinions differ. These latter with a
critical annotation are published in Migne's P.L., V (1844) 301-44. It
is certainly incorrect to regard him as the author of two poems, "De
Jesu Christo" and "De Pascha", which are included in the collection of
Fabricius. Born on the confines of the Eastern and Western Empires,
Victorinus spoke Greek better than Latin, which explains why, in St.
Jerome's opinion, his works written in the latter tongue were more
remarkable for their matter than for their style. Like many of his
contemporaries he shared the errors of the Millenarians, and for this
reason his works were ranked with the apocrypha by Pope Gelasius.

Source:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15414a.htm

Saint Quote:
Trials are sent to some so as to take away past sins, to others so as
to eradicate sins now being committed, and to yet others so as to
forestall sins which may be committed in the future. These are
distinct from the trials that arise in order to test men in the way
that Job was tested.
--St. Maximos the Confessor

<><><><>
Daily Thoughts and Prayers for Our Beloved Dead

The souls of the Just do not leave us; if we desire it they still
remain with us, affording us an indescribable but very effective
solace. Let us recall them frequently by our prayers, by our
aspirations and by our good works which will help them and will help
us to gain Heaven.

THIRD DAY

Pray: One Our Father, Three Hail Mary's, one Gloria and De Profundis (Psalm 129)

De Profundis

Out of the depths, I have cried to Thee,
O Lord, Lord, hear my voice.
Let Thine ears be attentive to the
voice of my supplication.
If Thou, O Lord, shalt mark my iniquities,
O Lord, who shall stand it?
For with Thee there is merciful
forgiveness: and by reason of Thy
law I have waited for Thee, O Lord.
My soul hath relied on His word; my soul
hath hoped in the Lord.
From the morning watch even until
night; let Israel hope in the Lord.
Because with the Lord there is mercy;
And with Him plenteous redemption.
And He shall redeem Israel from
all its iniquities.
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon them:
May they rest in peace. Amen.

Most compassionate Jesus! Thou art our salvation, our life and our
resurrection. We implore Thee, therefore, do not forsake us in our
needs and afflictions, but by the agony of Thy most Sacred Heart, and
by the sorrows of Thy Immaculate Mother, succour Thy servants, whom
Thou hast redeemed by Thy most Precious Blood.