Faith is the messenger

Weedy

Nov 8, 2022, 3:18:25 AM11/8/22
Faith is the messenger

Faith is the messenger that bears your prayers to God. Prayer can
be like incense, rising ever higher and higher. The prayer of faith is
the prayer of trust that feels the presence of God, which it rises to
meet. It can be sure of some response from God. We can say a prayer of
thanks to God every day for His grace, which has kept us on the right
way and allowed us to start living the good life. So we should pray to
God with faith and trust and gratitude.

<<>><<>><<>>
• 8 November – Saint Willehad of Bremen

(Died 789)
First Bishop of Bremen, Germany, Confessor, Benedictine Monk and
Priest, a friend of Blessed Alcuin of York, disciple of St Boniface,
Missionary. Born in the 8th Century in Northumbria, England and died
in 789 in Bremen, Germany of natural causes. Patronage – Saxony. Also
known as – Willihad
.
The Roman Martyrology states: “At Bremen, St Willehad, first Bishop of
that City, who, in conjunction with St Boniface, whose disciple he
was, spread the Gospel in Friesland and Saxony.“

Willehad was born in Northumbria and probably received his education
at York under Bishop Ecgbert. He was Ordained after his education, and
about the year 766, he went to Frisia, to continue the missionary work
of St Boniface who had been Martyred by the Frisians in 754. At an
assembly in Paderborn in 777, Saxony was divided into missionary
zones. The zone between the Weser and the Elbe, called Wigmodia, was
given to Willehad.

From 780 Willehad preached in the region of the lower Weser River on
commission from Charlemagne. He barely escaped with his life when the
Frisians wanted to kill him and he returned to the area around
Utrecht. Once again, he and his fellow missionaries barely escaped
with their lives, when the local pagans wanted to kill them for
destroying some temples. Finally, in 780, Charlemagne sent him to
evangelise the Saxons. He preached to them for two years but, in 782,
the Saxons under Widukind, rebelled against Charlemagne and Willehad
was forced to flee to Frisia. He took the opportunity to travel to
Rome, where he reported to Pope Adrian I on his work. Upon his return
from Rome, Willehad retired for a time to the Monastery of Echternach,
in present-day Luxembourg. He spent two years there reassembling his
missionary team.

After Charlemagne’s conquest of the Saxons, Willehad preached in the
region around the lower Elbe and the lower Weser. In 787 Willehad was
Consecrated Bishop and that part of Saxony and Friesland, near the
mouth of the Weser, was assigned to him for his Diocese. He chose as
his seat, the City of Bremen, which is mentioned for the first time in
documents of 782 and built a Cathedral there. Praised for its beauty
by Ansgar, it was dedicated in 789.

Willehad died in Blexen-upon-Weser, today a part of Nordenham. He is
buried in the City’s Cathedral, which he Consecrated shortly before
his death on 8 November 789. Bishop St Ansgar compiled a life of
Willehad and the preface which he wrote was considered a masterpiece
for that age. In 860, a sick girl from Wege travelled to his grave.
There, she was cured by a miracle. This was the first time the small
village was mentioned in any historical documents.

https://anastpaul.com/2021/11/08/

Saint Quote:
Humiliation is the road to humility, as meekness in suffering
tribulations and injuries produces patience. If you do not exercise
humiliations, you cannot attain to humility.
-- St. Bernard

The Advantages of Devotion
to the Souls in Purgatory

If we can help them by our prayers to enter Heaven, even a little
earlier than they had expected, they will certainly intercede for us
with God at all times and, especially at the moment of death.
In their gratitude, they will implore for us,. all the graces of which
we stand in need.
“Whatever we do for the departd souls,” says St Ambrose, “redounds to
our own benefit; after death it will be restored to us with interest!”
While we are assisting our dear ones to ascend ,as soon as possible,
into the everlasting happiness of Heaven, it is comforting to know,
that one day, their patronage will enable us to join them there.”
by Antonio Cardinal Bacci

Saint Quote:
''Be assured that we shall obtain more grace and merit in
one day by suffering patiently the afflictions that come to us
from God or from our neighbor than we would acquire in ten
years by mortifications and other exercises that are of our
own choice."
--St. Francis de Sales, Doctor of the Church, 1567-1622

Bible Quote:
And I will shew wonders in the heaven above, and signs on the earth
beneath: blood and fire, and vapour of smoke. 20 The sun shall be
turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and
manifest day of the Lord come. 21 And it shall come to pass, that
whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord, shall be saved.
(Acts 2:19-21

<><><><>
A Prayer Of Confidence In God

Jesus of the loving Heart, I believe that thou doth care for me more
than Thou careth for the birds of the air or the lilies of the field.

I believe that Thou doth care for me more than a mother careth for the
child in her arms.
I believe that even though a mother may forget the child of her womb,
yet wilt Thou not forget me.

And, therefore, I trust in Thee in all and through all and in spite of
all. Amen.