September 25: - Blessed Herman the Cripple

Weedy

Sep 25, 2022, 2:52:36 AM9/25/22
September 25: - Blessed Herman the Cripple
(also known as Hermannus Contractus, or Herman of Reichenau,)

(1013-1054)
Today, we celebrate the feast day of Blessed Herman the Cripple, monk,
11th century scholar, composer, musical theorist, mathematician, and
astronomer. Blessed Herman composed the Marian prayers Alma
Redemptoris Mater, and the Salve Regina (also known as the “Hail Holy
Queen”) which we pray each time we pray the Holy Rosary. Despite
significant physical limitations and suffering, the bright and
contemplative mind of Blessed Herman advanced not only our
understanding of the physical world, but furthered our devotion to Our
Blessed Mother. His contributions to both science and faith remind us
that regardless of appearance or apparent physical abilities, we each
possess immense God-given gifts and talents! He was called "The Wonder
of His Age."

Herman was born into royalty, the son of a duke of Altshausen. From
birth, it was apparent that he would be horribly crippled and
disfigured, earning him the less-than-pleasant name of “Hermannus
Contractus” (or “Herman the Twisted”). Sources suggest he was born
with a cleft palate, cerebral palsy and spina bifida. Without
assistance, he could not move, and could barely speak, but within his
body was a keen mind and iron will.

At the age of seven, Herman’s parents left him at the Benedictine
monastery of Reichenau, where they arranged for him to be raised and
educated. Situated on the shores of Lake Constance, it was expected
that this location would be ideal for Herman’s health, but also for
his developing intellect. Abbot Berno, the monk who led the community,
took Herman under his wing, educating him with kindness and
compassion.

Despite his obvious intellect, Herman struggled to read and write at
first, his physical limitations difficult to overcome. Once he
mastered the basics, the academic world opened to him, and he
impressed all with the breadth and depth of his subsequent studies.
Not only did he immerse himself in the sciences, but also in
languages, music and theology. Herman became fluent in Latin, Greek,
and Arabic. He wrote extensively on mathematical and astronomical
topics, as well as volumes on the history of the world. He was
professed a monk at the age of 30, and continued to write, producing
works of great spiritual depth. Of note, his treatise “On the Eight
Principal Vices,” which he wrote in a poetic style.

More than his writings, however, Herman was known for his gentleness,
joy, and sweet disposition. Never was he heard to complain, despite
the fact that most activities were painful and difficult. Rather, he
was recognized to have a smile for all, and became a beacon of hope
and joy throughout the monastery. Students traveled great distances to
study with him, learning not only their academic subjects but also
strength of character, perseverance, and humility through his model.

Blessed Herman’s contributions to academics were great, as were his
contributions to sacred tradition. He wrote many hymns which continue
to be sung today, as well as portions of the Mass. His greatest
contributions may be his hymns of devotion and love for Our Blessed
Mother: Alma Redemptoris Mater and Salve Regina. The confidence and
hope we place in Mary is eloquently and simply captured in his
writings.

Relics of Blessed Herman
Blessed Herman died at the young age of 40, having succumbed to the
symptoms of his many afflictions. He was beatified in 1863. He was a
man who took joy in his struggles, and looked at each difficult day as
an opportunity to grow closer to the Lord. Every time we pray the Holy
Rosary, we end in prayer with Blessed Herman. The Salve Regina (Hail
Holy Queen) reminds us of our deep connection not only to Our Blessed
Mother, but to all those who suffer alongside us in the world.
by Jacob

Saint Quote:
The sign of those who will be saved consists in this: that they have a
great devotion to Mary in their hearts.
--Bl. John of Avila

<><><><>
Salve Regina

Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope!
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve!
To thee do we send up our sighs; mourning and weeping in this vale of tears!
Turn, then, most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy towards us,
and after this, our exile, show to us the blessed fruit of thy womb,
Jesus!
O Clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!
Pray for us O Holy Mother of God…That we may be made worthy of the
promises of Christ. Amen.

<><><><>
Alma Redemptoris Mater

Sweet Mother of the Redeemer,
that passage to heaven,
gate of the morning,
and star of the sea:
Assist the fallen,
lift up, you who cure, the people:
you who bore to the wonderment of nature,
your holy Creator.
Virgin before and after,
who received from Gabriel
that joyful greeting,