18 July – Saint Arnulf of Metz

Weedy

Jul 18, 2022, 2:47:09 AMJul 18
18 July – Saint Arnulf of Metz
Also known as Arnold, Arnoul

Memorial
18 July (Roman Martyrology; translation of relics)
16 August (Gallican calendar)
14 June on some calendars

(c 580-640)
Bishop of Metz, France, Monk, miracle-worker, widower and father.
Born in c. 580 at Lay-Saint-Christophe, France and died in c 640 near
Remiremont, France. Patronage – of Brewers.

The Roman Martyrology states of him today: “At Metz in France, St
Arnulf, a Bishop illustrious for holiness and the gift of miracles. He
chose an eremitical life and ended his blessed career in peace.”

Arnulf’s parents belonged to a distinguished Frankish family and lived
in the eastern section of the kingdom founded by Clovis.

In the school where Arnulf was placed as a boy, he excelled through
his talent and his good behaviour. According to the custom of the age,
he was sent in due time to the Court of Theodebert II, King of
Austrasia (595-612), to be initiated in the various branches of the
government. Under the guidance of Gundulf, the Mayor of the Palace, he
soon became so proficient that he was placed on the regular list of
Royal Officers and among the first of the King’s ministers. He
distinguished himself both as a military commander as well as in the
civil administration and at one time, he had six distinct Provinces
under his care.

In due course, Arnulf was married to a Frankish woman of noble
lineage, by whom he had two sons – Anseghisel and Clodulf. While
Arnulf was enjoying worldly emoluments and honours, he did not forget
higher and spiritual things. His thoughts often dwelt on monasteries
and with his friend Romaricus, also an Officer of the Court, he
planned to make a pilgrimage to the Abbey of Lérins, evidently for the
purpose of devoting his life to God.

However, in the meantime, the Episcopal See of Metz became vacant.
Arnulf was universally designated as a worthy candidate for the office
and he was Consecrated Bishop of that See around 611, before this he
had become a widower. In his new position he set the example of a
virtuous life to his community and attended to matters of
ecclesiastical government. In 625 he took part in a Council held by
the Frankish Bishops at Rheims. With all these different activities,
Arnulf still retained his station at the Court of the King, and played
a prominent role in the national life of his people.

In 613, after the death of Theodebert, he, with Pepin of Landen and
other nobles, called on Clothaire II, King of Neustria with a view to
friendship. When, in 625, the realm of Austrasia was entrusted to the
late King’s son Dagobert, Arnulf became, not only the tutor but also
the chief minister, of the young King. At the time of the estrangement
between the two Kings, (Clothaire II and Dagobert) in 625 Arnulf, with
other Bishops and nobles, tried to bring about a reconciliation.
Arnulf now dreaded the responsibilities of the episcopal office, and
grew weary of Court life.

About the year 626 he obtained the appointment of a successor to the
Episcopal See of Metz and he and his friend, Romaricus withdrew to a
solitary place in the mountains of the Vosges. There he lived in
communion with God until his death.

His remains, interred by Romaricus, were transferred about a year
afterwards, by Bishop Goeric, to the Basilica of the Holy Apostles in
Metz.

Miracles of St Arnulf:
Arnulf was tormented by the violence that surrounded him and feared
that he had played a role in the wars and murders that plagued the
ruling families. Obsessed by these sins, Arnulf went to a bridge over
the Moselle river. There he took off his Bishop’s ring and threw it
into the river, praying to God to give him a sign of absolution by
returning the ring to him. Many penitent years later, a fisherman
brought to the Bishop’s kitchen a fish in the stomach of which was
found the Bishop’s ring. Arnulf repaid the sign of God by immediately
retiring as Bishop and becoming a hermit for the remainder of his
life.

At the moment Arnulf resigned as Bishop, a fire broke out in the
cellars of the Royal Palace and threatened to spread throughout the
City of Metz. Arnulf, full of courage and feeling unity with the
townspeople, stood before the fire and said, “If God wants me to be
consumed, I am in His hands.” He then made the Sign of the Cross, at
which point, the fire immediately abated.

It was July 642 and very hot, when the Parishioners of Metz, went to
Remiremont to recover the remains of their former Bishop. They had
little to drink and the terrain was inhospitable. At the point when
the exhausted procession was about to leave Champigneulles, one of the
Parishioners, Duc Notto, prayed “By his powerful intercession the
Blessed Arnold will bring us what we lack.” Immediately, the small
remnant of beer at the bottom of a pot multiplied, in such amounts,
that the pilgrims’ thirst was quenched and they had enough to enjoy
the next evening when they arrived in Metz. For this reason he is
known as the Patron Saint of Brewers.

https://anastpaul.com/2021/07/18/

Intimacy with Jesus

...Our love must not be abstract or partial but must be all-absorbing.
...Jesus calls us friends and friendship unites two hearts as one.
We must give ourselves completely to Jesus without reserving anything
for ourselves.
True holiness is found when God and man are united like two faithful
constant friends.
St Francis de Sales writes that Jesus should always be in our minds,
in our hearts, in our eyes and on our tongue.
...We should be living images of Jesus and we must, therefore, live
and act for Him, with Him and in Him.”
Antonio Cardinal Bacci

Bible Quote:
The remembrance of the most holy Passion of Jesus Christ is the door
through which the soul enters into intimate union with God, interior
recollection and most sublime contemplation...
--St. Paul of the Cross

Bible Quote:
Let nothing be done through contention: neither by vain glory. But in
humility, let each esteem others better than themselves: (Philippians
2:3) DRB

<><><><>
Eternal Father

Eternal Father, I desire to rest in Thy Heart this night. I make the
intention of offering to Thee every beat of my heart, joining to them
as many acts of love and desire. I pray that even while I sleep, I will
bring back to Thee souls that offend Thee. I ask forgiveness for the
whole world, especially for those who know Thee and yet sin. I offer
to Thee my every breath and heartbeat as a prayer of reparation.