January 9th - St. Fillan, Abbot

Weedy

Jan 9, 2022, 2:42:42 AM1/9/22
January 9th - St. Fillan, Abbot

St. Fillan is famous among the Scottish saints, from his piety and
good works. He spent a considerable part of his holy life at a
monastery which he built in Pittenweem, of which some remains of the
later buildings yet exist in a habitable condition. It is stated that,
while engaged here in transcribing the Scriptures, his left hand sent
forth sufficient light to enable him, at night, to continue his work
without a lamp. For the sake of seclusion, he finally retired to a
wild and lonely vale, called from him Strathfillan, in Perthshire,
where he died, and where his name is still attached to the ruins of a
chapel, to a pool, and a bed of rock.

'At Strathfillan, there is a deep pool, called the Holy Pool, where,
in olden times, they were wont to dip insane people. The ceremony was
performed after sunset on the first day of the quarter, and before
sunrise next morning. The dipped persons were instructed to take 3
stones from the bottom of the pool, and, walking 3 times round each of
3 cairns on the bank, throw a stone into each. They were next conveyed
to the ruins of St. Fillan's chapel; and in a corner called St.
Fillan's bed, they were laid on their back, and left tied all night.
If next morning they were found loose, the cure was deemed perfect,
and thanks returned to the saint. The pool is still (1843) visited,
not by parishioners, for they have no faith in its virtue, but by
people from other and distant places.'—New Statistical Account of
Scotland, parish of Killin, 1843.

Strange as it may appear, the ancient bell of the chapel, believed to
have been St. Fillan's bell, of a very antique form, continued till
the beginning of the 19th century to lie loose on a grave-stone in the
churchyard, ready to be used, as it occasionally was, in the
ceremonial for the cure of lunatics. The popular belief was, that it
was needless to attempt to appropriate and carry it away, as it was
sure, by some mysterious means, to return. A curious and covetous
English traveler at length put the belief to the test, and the bell
has been no more heard of. The head of St. Fillan's crosier, called
the Quigrich, of silver gilt, elegantly carved, and with a jewel in
front, remained at Killin, in the possession of a peasant's family, by
the representative of which it was conveyed some years ago to Canada,
where it still exists. The story is that this family obtained
possession of the Quigrich from King Robert Bruce, after the battle of
Bannockburn, on his becoming offended with the abbot of Inchaffray,
its previous keeper; and there is certainly a document proving its
having been in their possession in the year 1487.

A relic of St. Hector figures in Hector Bocce's account of the battle
just alluded to. 'King Robert,' says he, 'took little rest the night
before the battle, having great care in his mind for the surety of his
army, one while revolving in his consideration this chance, and
another while that: yea, and sometimes he fell to devout
contemplation, making his prayer to God and St. Fillan, whose arm, as
it was set and enclosed in a silver case, he supposed had been the
same time within his tent, trusting the better fortune to follow by
the presence thereof. As he was thus making his prayers, the case
suddenly opened and clapped again. The king's chaplain being
present, astonished therewith, went to the altar where the case stood,
and finding the arm within it, he cried to the king and others that
were present, how there was a great miracle wrought, confessing that
he brought the empty case to the field, and left the arm at home, lest
that relic should have been lost in the field, if anything chanced to
the army otherwise than well. The king, very joyful of this miracle,
passed the remnant of the night in prayer and thanksgiving.'

Saint Quote:
If something uncharitable is said in your presence, either speak in
favor of the absent, or withdraw, or if possible stop the conversation
-- St. John Vianney

Bible Quote:
Blessed are you when men reproach you, and persecute you, and,
speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you, for My sake...
because your reward is great in heaven. (Matt. 5:11-12)

<><><><>
Jesus, in Thy cruel scourging
in which Thou shed Thy Blood
most painfully and abundantly,
offering it to Thine Eternal Father
in payment for our impatience and our wantonness,
how is it, then, that we do not curb
our wrath and self-love?
Oh! let us henceforth try to be more patient in our trials,
to cultivate self-control, and to bear in peace
the injuries that men do us.

O Jesus, Thou art the Love and Life of my soul.
I find true peace and real happiness only in Thy love,
in Thy service, and in the imitation of Thy virtues.
I offer myself to Thee; do what Thou willest with me;
henceforth my motto shall be, "All for Jesus!"