How the Body of Christ and Holy Scriptures are most Necessary[IV]

Weedy

Oct 27, 2022, 3:04:56 AM10/27/22
How the Body of Christ and Holy Scriptures are most Necessary[IV]

THE DISCIPLE. I now realize that there are two things especially
necessary to me, without which this life of sorrow would be
unbearable. While in the prison-house of this body, I acknowledge my
need of two things--food and light. You have therefore given me in my
weakness Your sacred Body to be the refreshment of my soul and body,
and have set Your Word as a lamp to my feet. (Ps. 119:105) Without
these two, I cannot rightly live; for the Word of God is the light of
my soul, and Your Sacrament is the bread of my life. (John 6:35) One
might describe them as two tables, set on either side in the treasury
of holy Church. The one is the table of the holy altar, having on it
the holy bread, (I Sam.21:4) the precious Body of Christ; the other is
that of the divine law, that enshrines the holy doctrine, teaches the
true faith, and unerringly guides our steps even within the veil (Heb
6:19: 9:3) that guards the Holy of Holies.
--Thomas à Kempis--Imitation of Christ Book 4 Ch. 11

<<>><<>><<>>
• October 27th – St. Otteran, of Waterford
(Also known as Odhran, Oran)

Born in Britain; died c. 563.

St. Otteran of Iona, Abbot, was one of the 12 who accompanied Saint
Columba to Iona. Other historians say that Otteran was at Iona before
Columba, based on the fact that the ancient cemetery there is called
Reilig Oran. He died soon after their arrival, the first of the monks
from Ireland to die at Iona. Soon thereafter, Columba saw Otteran's
soul ascending to heaven following a battle between angels and devils.
Otteran may have founded the monastery at Leitrioch Odrain (Latteragh,
Tipperary). He has given his name to Oronsay. His feast is kept
throughout Ireland.

Note
This rich and famous city (Waterford) was subject to the bishop of
Lismore, (which see was founded by Saint Carthag, in 631) till the
Ostmen being settled here, they procured a bishop for Waterford.
Malchus, a monk of Winchester, was consecrated first bishop of
Waterford by Saint Anselm, at Canterbury, in 1096. For the sees of
Dublin, Limerick, and Waterford were subjected to the metropolitan of
Canterbury during the 11th and 12th centuries, whilst the Ostmen were
masters in those cities. The sees of Waterford and Lismore have been
united since the year 1363.

Saint Oran's Iona http://www.scotshistoryonline.co.uk/oran.html
(with photograph)

St. Orans Abbey built in the 11th century has been rebuilt over time
and was completely restored in the 20th century. The oldest part is
that of the restored is St. Oran's Chapel, to the south of the abbey
on the right, which is plain and unadorned save for its splendid
11th-century Norman doorway. It is said that Columba was prevented
from completing the building of the original chapel until a living
person had been buried in the foundations. His friend Oran volunteered
and was duly buried. Columba later asked for the face to be uncovered
so that he could bid a final farewell to his friend, but Oran was
found to be alive and claimed he had seen Heaven and Hell, describing
them in such blasphemous terms that Columba ordered he be covered up
immediately!

Surrounding the chapel is the Reilig Odhrain, the sacred burial
ground, which is said to contain the graves of 48 Scottish kings,
including Macbeth's victim, Duncan, as well as four Irish and eight
Norwegian kings. The stones you see today are not the graves of kings
but of various important people from around the West Highlands and
Islands. The most recent is that of John Smith, leader of the British
Labour Party from 1992 until his untimely death in 1994.

Beside the Road of the Dead, which leads from the abbey church to St.
Oran's Chapel, stands the eighth-century St. Martin's Cross. This is
the finest of Iona's Celtic high crosses and is remarkably complete,
with the Pictish serpent-and-boss decoration on one side and holy
figures on the other. Standing in front of the abbey entrance is a
replica of St. John's Cross, the other great eighth-century monument.
The restored original is in the Infirmary Museum, at the rear of the
abbey, along with a fine collection of medieval gravestones.

No part of St. Columba's original buildings survives, but to the left
of the main entrance is St. Columba's Shrine, the small, steep-roofed
chamber which almost certainly marks the site of the saint's tomb. You
get a good view of the whole complex from the top of the small grassy
knoll opposite the abbey entrance. This is Torr an Aba, where
Columba's cell is said to have been. The Abbey itself has been
carefully restored to its original beautiful simplicity and inside, in
a side chapel, are marble effigies of the eighth Duke of Argyll and
his third wife, Duchess Ina.

Saint Quote:
The measure of charity may be taken from the want of desires. As
desires diminish in a soul, charity increases in it; and when it no
longer feels any desire, then it possesses perfect charity.
--St. Augustine

Bible Quote:
I had many things to write unto thee: but I would not by ink and pen
write to thee. 14 But I hope speedily to see thee, and we will speak
mouth to mouth. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Salute the
friends by name. (3 John 1:13-14) DRB

<><><><>
My Triple Prayer

MOST EXTRAORDINARY GRACES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED THROUGH
THE USE OF THIS PRAYER, WHICH IN ONE CRY OF CONFIDENCE,
DIRECTLY AND IMMEDIATELY CALLS UPON FATHER, SON [JESUS],
HOLY SPIRIT! AND MARY, JOSEPH!

O Eternal FATHER! for the love of the Eternal Son,
and for the love of the Eternal Holy Spirit, grant my request.
O Eternal SON! for the love of the Eternal Father,
and for the love of the Eternal Holy Spirit, grant my request.
O Eternal HOLY SPIRIT! for the love of the Eternal Father,
and for the love of the Eternal Son, grant my request.
O my Crucified JESUS, for the love of the ever adorable Trinity,
and for the love of Mary and Joseph, grant my request.
O MARY, my Mother, for the love of the ever adorable Trinity,
and for the love of Jesus and Joseph, grant my request.
O Holy ST. JOSEPH, for the love of the ever adorable Trinity,
and for the love of Jesus and Mary, grant my request.