Thoughts on the Frailty of Man (2)

Weedy

Oct 31, 2023, 3:08:40 AM10/31/23
Thoughts on the Frailty of Man (2)

Living on earth is truly a misery. The more a man desires
spiritual life, the more bitter the 37 present becomes to him, because
he understands better and sees more clearly the defects, the
corruption of human nature. To eat and drink, to watch and sleep, to
rest, to labor, and to be bound by other human necessities is
certainly a great misery and affliction to the devout man, who would
gladly be released from them and be free from all sin. Truly, the
inner man is greatly burdened in this world by the necessities of the
body, and for this reason the Prophet prayed that he might be as free
from them as possible, when he said: “From my necessities, O Lord,
deliver me.”
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk1 Chapter 22

<<>><<>><<>>
31 October – Blessed Christopher of Romagna OFM

(Died 1272)
Priest, Friar of the Order of Friars Minor during the life of St
Francis, Missionary, sent by St Francis to preach against the heretic
Albigensians in France and Founder of Franciscan Monasteries there.
Born in the late 12th Century in the Romagna region of Italy and died
in 1272 in Cahors, France, of natural causes. He was Beatified in 1905
by Pope Pius X. Also known as – Christophe de Romagne.

Christopher had been a Priest for many years when the grace of God
impelled him to ask our holy Father St Francis, for the Habit. In 1219
Blessed Christopher of Romagnola was sent to Guienne, in southern
France, to establish the Order in those parts. He was a man full of
holy simplicity and sincere love for the poor and the unfortunate. He
took great pleasure in caring for the many persons who were afflicted
with leprosy in those days and were outcasts of society.

Christopher was very severe with himself. He wore an iron shirt for a
long time, and always a belt having sharp points. He ate but once a
day even in his advanced age. He built a small cell for himself of
branches and sticks and covered it with straw. But in spite of these
rigorous penances, he was always cheerful of countenance and pleasant
in his dealings with others.

The pleasant demeanor by which Blessed Christopher gained the hearts
of so many sinners, was a virtue he had learned from St Francis.
Father Christopher had seen how St Francis of Assisi dealt with his
fellowmen, especially with poor sinners.

As in all things else, so in this matter, St Francis kept before his
mind the example of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Who always received sinners
with kindness.

Realising the value of time, Blessed Christopher of Romagna never
wasted a moment, always busily occupied in prayer, meditation, manual
labour, care of the garden, or other work that benefitted his
brethren. His kindness and affability attracted many sinners, whom he
succeeded in converting. God frequently favoured him with
extraordinary inspirations and so, it was revealed to him that St
Francis was about to die. He hastened from France to Italy and arrived
at the Portiuncula shortly before the death of St Francis. He had the
consolation of receiving the Saint’s last blessing.

When Christopher arrived at the age of nearly one hundred years, his
earthly sojourn came to an end. While earnestly exhorting the brethren
gathered about his deathbed, he surrendered his soul to God in the
year 1272. In death Blessed Christopher of Romagna looked more like a
person who had fallen asleep, than like a dead person. An unusual
concourse of people assembled for his burial which took place in
Cahors, France. Many miracles occurred after his death; and his cult
as Blessed was approved in 1905. He was buried there at the Franciscan
Monastery. Sadly his relics were destroyed by the Huguenots in 1580
when they burned down the Monastery.

https://anastpaul.com/2022/10/31/

“Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the Kingdom of God.” – Luke 6:20

REFLECTION – “Blessed,” He says, “are the poor in spirit, for theirs
is the kingdom of heaven” (Mt 5:3). It would perhaps be doubtful what
poor He was speaking of, if in saying “blessed are the poor ” He had
added nothing which would explain the sort of poor and then, that
poverty by itself, would appear sufficient to win the Kingdom of
Heaven, which many suffer from, hard and heavy necessity. But when he
says “blessed are the poor in spirit,” He shows that the Kingdom of
Heaven must be assigned to those who are recommended by the humility
of their spirit, rather than, by the smallness of their means….
Blessed, therefore, is poverty which is not possessed with a love of
temporal things and does not seek to be increased with the riches of
the world but is eager to amass heavenly possessions.”
– St Leo the Great (400-461) Pope, Father and Doctor of the Church
(Sermon 95, PL 54, 461).

PRAYER – Multiply Thy grace upon us, O Lord our God and grant that by
following in holiness of life, those whose glorious festival we
anticipate, we may attain to their bliss. Through Jesus Christ, Thy
Son our Lord, Who lives and reigns with Thee, in the unity of the Holy
Ghost, God, world without end. Amen (Collect).

Saint Quote:
“If we wish to make any progress in the service of God we must begin
every day of our life with new eagerness. We must keep ourselves in
the presence of God as much as possible and have no other view or end
in all our actions but the divine honor.”
– Saint Charles Borromeo

Bible Quote:
He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath
sent me, I also send you. When he had said this, he breathed on them;
and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall
forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they
are retained. (John 20:21-23)

<><><><>
Alone With None but Thee, My God
Attri. St Columban (543-615)

Alone with none but Thee, my God
I journey on my way,
what need I fear when Thou art near,
O King of night and day?
More safe am I within Thy hand
than if a host should round me stand.

My destined time is known to Thee,
and death will keep his hour;
did warriors strong around me throng,
they could not stay his power.
No walls of stone can man defend
when Thou Thy messenger dost send.

My life I yield to Thy decree
and bow to Thy control
in peaceful calm, for from Thine arm
no power can wrest my soul,
could earthly omens e’er appal
a man that heeds the heavenly call?

The child of God can fear no ill,
His chosen, dread no foe;
we leave our fate with Thee and wait
Thy bidding when to go,
’tis not from chance our comfort springs,
Thou art our Trust, O King of kings.