Spiritual warfare

1 view

Weedy

Jul 28, 2023, 4:21:11 AM7/28/23
Spiritual warfare

Jesus' mission was an act of war against the spiritual forces who
oppose the kingdom of God and his rule over the earth and the heavens.
That is why Jesus identified Satan as the ruler of this world whom he
will cast out (John 12:31). The battle Jesus had in mind was not an
earthly conflict between individuals and nations, but a spiritual
warfare between the forces of Satan and the armies of heaven. Jesus
came to wage war against the spiritual powers of this present world
that turn the minds and hearts of people away from God and his kingdom
of peace and truth.

============
28 July – Saint Pope Victor I

(Died 199)
Pope, Martyr, Confessor – born in Africa, exact location not recorded
in the early years of the 2nd Century. His Papal Ascension was in 189
and died by being Martyred 198-199 (though the date of his death and
whether he was martyred is not certain). He was the first Bishop of
Rome born in the Roman Province of Africa—probably in Leptis Magna (or
Tripolitania). Nothing else is known of his younger years.

Victor’s reign showed many changes in the Church. Culture had begun to
change in the Roman Empire. No longer was Greek the standard language.
Latin had taken precedence as the official language of the Church, as
well. Victor, unlike many of his predecessors, wrote in Latin. During
the time of peace in the Church, Victor acted more like a ruler than
many of the previous Bishops of Rome had been able to.

The mistress of Emperor Commodus was a woman named Marcia. It is said
that she was a secret Christian, or at least, a woman tolerant towards
Christianity. At one time, she called Victor to her, asking for a list
of names of the Christians who had been sentenced to work in the mines
of Sardinia. He gave her a list. This implies that the Christians were
a tight group who knew each other well enough to keep tabs on one
another. Marcia had them pardoned and sent the presbyter Hyacinthus,
who may have been her advisor, to secure their release. One man,
Callistus, chose to remain behind, possibly to preach to the pagans
there. The Roman Christians sent him a stipend until he left.

At the time, not only was there peace but Christians could practice
their religion and serve in the imperial court, which some did. This
was a time when the Church attracted men and women of position and
wealth.

Victor sought to solidify Roman control of the Church throughout the
Mediterranean. He proclaimed that Easter was to be celebrated only on
Sunday, a continuing battle, if you have read other entries on the
Popes. Many Middle Eastern Christians had moved to Rome and were
celebrating Easter as they did at home, following the Passover dates,
rather than having Easter on a specific day. Victor requested their
Bishops to send him a letter indicating how many people followed this
custom. It was the great majority. Victor was not pleased and he went
so far as to demand that the Eastern churches follow his rule. He set
up the first Synod of Rome to deal with this. But, Eastern churches
chose to ignore Victor and continued as they were, despite his threat
of excommunication. St Ireneas, Bishop of Lyons and others wrote to
Victor asking him to not be so harsh and demanding that he keep the
Middle Eastern Churches within the fold. There are no letters of
response from Victor but he must have relented because the Eastern
churches remained.

There was a Priest who had known St Polycarp and was probably taught
by him. The man’s name was Florinus. He began to teach questionable
doctrine and eventually Gnostic heresy. St Ireneas wrote two
treatises against Forinus’ preaching then notified Victor of the man’s
work. Pope Victor immediately excommunicated and defrocked Florinus.

Another man, Theodotus, came to Rome from Asia and preached that Jesus
was just a normal man until he was Baptised and was endowed with the
Spirit. As much as Victor tried to excommunicate him, Theodotus
continued his preaching. He and his followers developed a schismatic
group which continued for a while.

In addition to these two, the Montanists were still troubling the
churches of Asia with their odd prophecies, indicating that marriage
was as much a sin as adultery and on and on. At first, from a
distance, Victor thought them to be just zealously pious. But when
some came to speak to him, he realised his mistake and ordered
excommunication.
In addition to Victor’s writings about the paschal question, he was
known to have written a treatise against gambling.

Considering the attitudes of the government at the time, it is thought
that St Pope Victor probably did not die as a Martyr.

https://anastpaul.com/2020/07/28/

Saint Quote:
“The road is narrow.
He who wishes to travel it more easily,
must cast off all things and use the cross as his cane.
In other words, he must be truly resolved.
to suffer willingly for the love of God in all things.”
--St John of the Cross

Bible Quote:
"But shun profane and vain babblings" (2 Tim. 2:16)

<><><><>
Wash Me With Your Precious Blood

See, O merciful God, what return
I, Your thankless servant, have made
for the innumerable favours
and the wonderful love You have shown me!
What wrongs I have done, what good left undone!
Wash away, I beg You, these faults and stains
with Your precious blood, most kind Redeemer,
and make up for my poverty by applying Your merits.
Give me the protection I need to amend my life.
I give and surrender myself wholly to You,
and offer You all I possess,
with the prayer that You bestow Your grace on me,
so that I may be able to devote and employ
all the thinking power of my mind
and the strength of my body in Your holy service,
who are God blessed for ever and ever. Amen
--By St Peter Canisius S.J.