Humility is the only soil where God's grace and truth can take root

Weedy

Oct 15, 2023, 4:45:43 AM10/15/23
Humility is the only soil where God's grace and truth can take root

Jesus contrasts intellectual pride with child-like simplicity and
humility. The simple of heart are like "babes" or "little children" in
the sense that they see purely without pretense or falsehood and
acknowledge their dependence and trust in one who is greater, wiser,
and more trustworthy. They seek one thing--the "summum bonum" or
"greatest good" who is God himself. Simplicity of heart is wedded with
humility, the queen of virtues, because humility inclines the heart
towards grace and truth.
Just as pride is the root of every sin and evil inclination, so
humility is the only soil in which the grace of God can take root. It
alone takes the right attitude before God and allows him as God to do
all. God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble (Proverbs
3:34, James 4:6). The grace of Christ-like humility inclines us
towards God and disposes us to receive God's wisdom and help. Allow
the Lord Jesus to heal the wounds of pride in your heart and to fill
you with the joy of the Holy Spirit who transforms us into the
likeness of Christ himself--who is meek and humble of heart (Matthew
11:29).

<<>><<>><<>>
October 15th - St Leonard Of Vandœuvre, Abbot

IN a footnote to his account of St Leonard of Noblac, Alban Butler
refers to his contemporary and namesake of Vandœuvre, who introduced
monastic life into the valley of the Sarthe.

Wandering into Maine in search of solitude, he came to Vandœuvre on
the banks of the river and settled at where is now Saint-Leonard
­des-Bois. He was befriended by St Innocent, Bishop of Le Mans and a
great encourager of monks, and soon Leonard had a number of followers
under his direction. There were some who were ill-disposed towards the
new monastery, and these reported to King Clotaire I that Leonard was
persuading the king’s subjects to alienate their goods and withdraw
themselves from their service, claiming plenary authority over them
himself. Clotaire sent commissioners to inquire into the matter, and
at the very moment of their arrival they witnessed a young nobleman
abandon his estate and receive the monastic habit. The com­missioners
pointed out that in this way the king was being deprived of valuable
men-at-arms. St Leonard answered them by saying that he only taught
people to put into practice the words of our Lord Himself, that all
things and all earthly ties should be given up to follow Him. The
envoys had nothing to say to this and went back to report to Clotaire,
who in time withdrew his opposition and even became a patron of St
Leonard and his abbey. Among the friends of this saint was Innocent’s
successor at Le Mans, St Domnolus, in whose arms Leonard died at a
great age about the year 570.

In the Acta Sanctorum, October, vol. vii, a short life is printed with
the usual commentary. See also DCH., vol. iii, pp. 686-687.

“Oh my Lord!
How true it is that,
whoever works for You,
is paid in troubles!
And what a precious price
to those who love You,
if we understand its value.”
--St Teresa of Jesus

“There is no such thing as bad weather.
All weather is good because it is God’s.”

“There is more value in a little study of humility
and in a single act of it,
than in all the knowledge in the world.”
--St Teresa of Jesus

“We need no wings to go in search of Him
but have only to look upon Him,
present within us.”
--St Teresa of Jesus

“Hope, O my soul, hope.
You know neither the day nor the hour.
Watch carefully, for everything passes quickly,
even though your impatience makes doubtful,
what is certain and turns
a very short time into a long one.”
--St Teresa of Jesus (1515-1582)

Bible Quote:
Sow for yourselves in justice, and reap in the mouth of mercy, break
up your fallow ground: but the time to seek the Lord is, when he shall
come that shall teach you justice. [Hosea 10: 12] DRB

<><><><>
PRAYER BEFORE WORK

O Lord Jesus Christ, Only-begotten Son of your eternal Father: You have said
with your holy lips: "Without Me, you can do nothing." My Lord, I embrace
your words with my heart and soul, and bow before your goodness and say:
Help me, your unworthy servant, to complete this, my present undertaking, in
the name of the Father and of the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

<><><><>
PRAYER AFTER WORK

O Most sweet Jesus, You are the fulfillment of all blessings. Fill my soul
with joy and gladness and save me. Grant that your Name be glorified: for
not to us, but to your Name are forever due honor, glory, and adoration.
Amen