Zeal in Amending our Lives (5)

Weedy

Sep 30, 2023, 5:53:03 AM9/30/23
Zeal in Amending our Lives (5)

How pleasant and sweet to behold brethren fervent and devout, well
mannered and disciplined! How sad and painful to see them wandering in
dissolution, not practicing the things to which they are called! How
hurtful it is to neglect the purpose of their vocation and to attend
to what is not their business!
Remember the purpose you have undertaken, and keep in mind the
image of the Crucified. Even though you may have walked for many years
on the pathway to God, you may well be ashamed if, with the image of
Christ before you, you do not try to make yourself still more like
Him.
The religious who concerns himself intently and devoutly with our
Lord’s most holy life and passion will find there an abundance of all
things useful and necessary for him. He need not seek for anything
better than Jesus.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ -- Bk 3 Chapter 25

<<>><<>><<>>
September 30th - St. Midan (Nidan)

Died c. 610.
Two of those who accompanied Kentigern on his return from Cwymru
(Wales) to Strathclyde were St Nidan and St Finan. Nidan is still
remembered in Wales, having had his name attached to the parish of
Llanidan on the Menai Strait in Anglesea.

Nidan was the grandson of Pasgen, son of Urien Rheged, and was thus a
cousin of St Kentigern who was the son of Owain, another of Urien's
sons. This might suggest that he may have been one of Mungo's
companions when he journeyed to Wales to escape from the dangers which
threatened his safety in the kingdom of Strathclyde. It is also said
that Nidan followed his master as abbot of the Andat (parent
community) of Kynor near Huntly.

The two churches bearing Nidan's name, at Strathdon and Midmar, are
certainly of ancient origin. Both, interestingly, lie near to, or as
part of, a model of Norman origin. There was a chapel within the walls
of the Norman motte and bailey at Invernochty which is known to have
served as the parish church for many years. However, the mound is
known as the Doune of Invernochty--doune, from the Celtic word dun, a
fort, tells us that this was a seat of power for the Picts long before
the Anglo-Norman infiltration of Alba. It is entirely probable then
that this dun would have been an irresistible magnet to the
missionaries who came with Kentigern and who looked to found their
churches at important Pictish settlements. At Midmar, the church lies
a little to the east of a mound known as the Cunningar which served as
the centre of administration for that part of the Pictish province of
Mar known as Midmar.

Somewhat to the north of this site there is a very ancient druidic
stone circle with its recumbent stone. Obviously, this was an
important centre of population for the local Pictish tribes and would
have been a natural focus for the missionary work of Nidan. In the
same way, Nidan's colleague St Finan established a church at another
of the important administration centres of the province at Migvie,
from which Cromar was governed.

For a map and some photographs please see
http://www.cushnieent.force9.co.uk/CelticEra/Saints/saints_nidan.htm

Troparion of St Midan tone 8

Amongst Angelsey's adornment of Saints,
/ thy virtuous life shines forth to illumine these islands,
O Father Midan.
/ We pray thee to intercede with Christ our God
/ that His mercy, and not our weakness,
will prevail that our souls may be saved.

Saint Quote:
" As breathing is not only a sign but even a cause of life, so the
name of Mary, which is constantly found on the lips of God's servants,
both proves that they are truly alive, and at the same time causes and
preserves their life, and gives them every succor . . . nay Your name,
O Mother of God, be the last sound that escapes my lips."
--St. Germanus of Constantinople +732

Bible Quote:
"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire,
that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment that thou
mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do
not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eye-salve, that
thou mayest see." (Rev. iii. 18.)

<><><><>
Daily Thoughts and Prayers for Our Beloved Dead

"Have pity on me, have pity on me, at least you my friends,
because the hand of the Lord hath touched me" Job. 19-21.

Day 1 The Memory of Our Departed Loved Ones

"When we love, we remember; and this memory, the effect of
love, is not a barren thought. It resolves itself into DEEDS for
the loved one. Why, when sorrow is united with faith, should
not our sad memories resolve themselves into sentiments
sweet and precious to the soul? To recall the features, the
accents, the manners and the sentiments of a loved one is
still to see him and to associate him with the joys and sorrows
which he formerly shared." - (Gergeres).

We must never cease to interest ourselves in the Souls in
Purgatory. The honor and glory of God, and our own salvation
is concerned with their release.

Prayers: Our Father, Three Hail Marys, Gloria, De Profundis.

De Profundis

Out of the depths, I have cried to Thee,
O Lord, Lord, hear my voice.
Let Thine ears be attentive to the
voice of my supplication.
If Thou, O Lord, shalt mark my iniquities,
O Lord, who shall stand it?
For with Thee there is merciful
forgiveness: and by reason of Thy
law I have waited for Thee, O Lord.
My soul hath relied on His word;
my soul hath hoped in the Lord.
From the morning watch even until
night; let Israel hope in the Lord.
Because with the Lord there is mercy;
And with Him plenteous redemption.
And He shall redeem Israel from
all its iniquities.
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon them:
May they rest in peace. Amen.

Most merciful Jesus, by Thy Nativity and Holy Childhood,
deliver from Purgatory all the Holy Souls confined there.
Particularly the soul of the youngest to incur Thy displeasure
because of youthful carelessness. Take him today to Thy
Heavenly Throne, that he may evermore praise and glorify
Thee and will intercede for me at the hour of need.