29 July – St Martha

Weedy

Jul 29, 2022, 2:38:25 AM7/29/22
29 July – St Martha

Sister of St Lazarus and St Mary of Bethany. Friend of Jesus, and
hostess to him in her house. May have been part of an early mission
to France. Died – c.80 of natural causes.

Patronage – butlers• Congregation of Martha and Mary (founded in
1979)• cooks (proclaimed on 1 July 1963 by Pope Paul VI)• dieticians
• domestic servants• homemakers • hotel-keepers• housemaids•
housewives• innkeepers (proclaimed on 1 July 1963 by Pope Paul VI) •
laundry workers • maids• manservants
• servants• servers• single laywomen• travellers• Villajoyosa, Spain
(chosen after a flash flood saved the village from Moorish invaders on
her feast day in 1538). Attributes – • broom (referring to being a
home maker)• dragon• keys (referring to keeping the home)
• with a holy water sprinkler or holy water pot• ladle (reference to
her home-making, cooking, etc.).

One of the most precious things in life is to have a home where you
can go at any time and find people who accept, love, and understand
you. Jesus found such a home in Bethany, at the house of a woman named
Martha. She welcomed Him and served Him and they developed a special
bond of friendship. One of these visits has ever remained dear to
Christian memory. On that occasion Martha, busily serving the Master,
asked Him to persuade Mary to help her. Without in any way reproaching
Martha, Jesus explained to her that certain souls, called by God,
should choose a better part still — the primary duty of listening to
Him and contemplating Him.

Martha lived with her sister Mary. Like many other pairs of sisters,
these two women were different in personality. Martha was energetic
and outspoken, while Mary was quiet and reflective. Jesus loved both
of them and appreciated the gifts that each one had.
The Gospel of Luke records that once, when Jesus was visiting, Martha
prepared the meal while Mary sat talking to their visitor. Martha
complained that Jesus should tell Mary to help her. Jesus said that
because Martha was worrying so much about the work, she did not have
time to enjoy being with Him and listening to His words.

Another time recorded in John’s Gospel, the sisters sent a message to
Jesus that their brother, Lazarus, was ill. They knew Jesus would come
and cure him; they trusted in His loving care for them. When Jesus
finally came, Lazarus had already been dead for four days. As soon as
she heard that Jesus was nearby, Martha, a woman of action, went out
to meet Him, while Mary stayed in the house. In her grief, Martha told
Jesus honestly what she had expected from Him. Jesus asked her to
believe that He was the resurrection and that He had power to give
eternal life to all who believe in Him. Without really understanding
this mystery, Martha trusted Jesus totally and said, “I believe that
you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who was to come into this
world” (John 11:27). That day Jesus raised her brother Lazarus from
the dead, showing that He has power over life and death and power to
give eternal life.
The home Jesus found in Bethany was not only in the house but in the
faithful heart of a woman named Martha.

https://anastpaul.com/2017/07/29/

Reflection
Martha’s great glory is her simple and strong statement of faith in
Jesus after her brother’s death. “Jesus told her, ‘I am the
resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies,
will live and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do
you believe this?’ She said to Him, ‘Yes, Lord. . I believe that you
are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who was to come into this
world’ (John 11:25-27).”
Scripture commentators point out that in writing his account of the
raising of Lazarus, Saint John intends that we should see Martha’s
words to Mary before Lazarus was raised as a summons that every
Christian must obey. In her saying “The teacher is here and is asking
for you,” Jesus is calling every one of us to resurrection—now in
baptismal faith, forever in sharing His victory over death. And all of
us, as well as these three friends, are in our own unique way called
to special friendship with Him….(Fr Don Miller OFM)
St Martha, pray for us!

Bible Quote:
And stretch out thy hand to the poor, that thy expiation and thy
blessing may be perfected. A gift hath grace in the sight of all the
living, and restrain not grace from the dead. Be not wanting in
comforting them that weep, and walk with them that mourn. Be not slow
to visit the sick: for by these things thou shalt be confirmed in
love. In all thy works remember thy last end, and thou shalt never
sin. [Sirach 7: 36 40] DRB

<><><><>
Letting Go

Dear Lord,I give You my opinions,