God desires to be our neighbor

Weedy

Sep 22, 2023, 3:25:09 AM9/22/23
God desires to be our neighbor

"God our Lord wished to be called our neighbor. The Lord Jesus Christ
meant that he was the one who gave help to the man lying half-dead on
the road, beaten and left by the robbers. The prophet said in prayer,
'As a neighbor and as one's own brother, so did I please' (Psalm 34:14
). Since the divine nature is far superior and above our human nature,
the command by which we are to love God is distinct from our love of
our neighbor. He shows mercy to us because of his own goodness, while
we show mercy to one another because of God's goodness. He has
compassion on us so that we may enjoy him completely, while we have
compassion on another that we may completely enjoy him.
--St. Augustine--(excerpt from CHRISTIAN INSTRUCTION 33)

<<>><<>><<>>
22 September – Saint Septimius of Jesi

(Died c 307)
The first Bishop of Jesi, Confessor, Martyr., Miracle-worker Born in
Germany and died by being beheaded in Jesi, Italy. Patronages – the
City and Diocese of Jesi. Also known as – Settimio.

St Septimius is venerated as the first Bishop of the Diocese of Jesi
and is considered the builder of the first Cathedral, which, although
dedicated to the Holy Saviour, retained the name of Septimius as the
name of the founder (as was the custom).

Very ancient documents from Jesi, bear 461 as the date of the death of
the holy Bishop and Martyr, however, this date seems to be in error
when contrasted with the other historical events of the time. The
office tells us that Septimius, born in Germany, devoted himself to
liberal studies and a military life, then, in contrast to the opinion
of his relatives, he converted to Christianity and came to Italy with
some friends.
He began to preach the faith in Milan but was forced to leave that
City, following the spread of Diocletian’s persecution. He travelled
to Rome where he worked wonders and converted many to the True Faith.
He was so successful in evangelising the pagans and became so renowned
for the many miracles worked through his prayers, that Pope Marcellus
I (308-309) Consecrates him as the Bishop of Jesi.

Septimius began immediately his pastoral mission and, at the same
time, began the work of building a Cathedral. But in this City he
found the Judge Florentius, who forbid him to continue his apostolate
and gave him the ultimatum to sacrifice to the gods within five days,
according to the imperial edict. Septimius, however, ignored
Florentius’ demands and continues to preach the Gospel of Christ and
convert pagans and perform miracles, At the end of the five days,
Septimius was arrested and beheaded.

Although his place of burial was lost, by 1208 the Cathedral was named
for him, His body was finally rediscovered in 1469 and translated to
the Cathedral. In 1623 a new Altar was Consecrated to him where his
body is now enshrined. His cult, however, had always been venerated
because the Cathedral of Jesi was already dedicated to St Septimius.

Until 1623, St Septimius’ celebration was on 5 September and after
that year, it was fixed at 22 September. St Septimius is the Patron
Saint of the City of Jesi and of the Diocese, which he had
established.

https://anastpaul.com/2022/09/22/

“Jesus is the Divine Model, Whom we ought to follow and imitate.
In Him, the virtues possess both the infinite splendour of the
Divinity and the gentle appeal of glorified Humanity.
Jesus does not dazzle us with His brightness but kindly invites us to
love and follow Him.
“Learn from me” He says, “for I am meek and humble of heart and you
will find rest for your souls” (Mt 11:29).
After He has indicated humility, meekness and interior peace, as the
foundations of the spiritual life, He invites us to take up the yoke
of His law and assures us, that we shall find it light (Mt 11).
If we follow Jesus, even though we are bowed with Him, beneath the
weight of the Cross, we shall experience, even in this life, a
reflection of the peace and joy which will be our reward in Heaven.”
by Antonio Cardinal Bacci

PART ONE HERE:
https://anastpaul.com/2020/01/24/thought-for-the-day-24-january-following-jesus/
PART TWO HERE:
https://anastpaul.com/2021/07/11/thought-for-the-day-11-july-following-jesus/

Saint Quote:
On behalf of Christ crucified I tell you: refuse to believe the
counsels of the devil, who would hinder your holy and good resolution.
Be manly in my sight, and not timorous. Answer God, who calls you to
hold and possess the seat of the glorious Shepherd St. Peter, whose
vicar you have been. And raise the standard of the holy Cross.
--Saint Catherine of Siena to Pope Gregory XI

Bible Quote:
And we know that to them that love God all things work together unto
good: to such as, according to his purpose, are called to be saints.
(Romans 8:28 ) DRB

<><><><>
A Prayer Of Confidence In God

Jesus of the loving Heart, I believe that thou doth care for me more
than Thou careth for the birds of the air or the lilies of the field.

I believe that Thou doth care for me more than a mother careth for the
child in her arms.
I believe that even though a mother may forget the child of her womb,
yet wilt Thou not forget me.

And, therefore, I trust in Thee in all and through all and in spite of
all. Amen.