Valentine's Day and paganism

zeb...@windstream.net

Jan 18, 2022, 12:26:12 PM1/18/22
Valentine's Day and Jesus

What does Jesus think today of people celebrating Valentine's Day?
Just harmless fun? Promotes love? Aids the economic recovery?

Well, those things are religiously fine in themselves, but not when
they are attached to paganism. As the Bible puts it:

"What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what
sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there
between Christ and Belial? [**Satan} Or what portion does a faithful
person have with an unbeliever? And what agreement does God's temple
have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God
said: 'I shall reside among them and walk among them, and I shall be
their God, and they will be my people.' '"Therefore get out from among
them, and separate yourselves," says Jehovah, "and quit touching the
unclean thing."'"-2 Cor. 6:14-17. [

[**footnote: "Belial - Wikipedia
Belial is a term occurring in the Hebrew Bible which later became
personified as the devil in Christian texts."] [brackets mine]

Some history of Valentine's Day:

The World Book Encyclopedia notes:

"Valentine's Day comes on the feast day of two different Christian
martyrs named Valentine. But the customs connected with the day have
nothing to do with the lives of the saints. They probably come from an
ancient Roman festival called Lupercalia which took place every
February 15. The festival honored Juno, the Roman goddess of women and
marriage, and Pan, the god of nature."

But how did a festival in honor of false deities become a so-called
Christian observance? The same reference work continues:

"After the spread of Christianity, churchmen tried to give Christian
meaning to the pagan festival. In 496, Pope Gelasius changed the
Lupercalia festival of February 15 to Saint Valentine's Day on
February 14. But the sentimental meaning of the old festival has
remained to the present time."

Sincerely James
Understand the Bible
www.jw.org

anon...@nowhere.you.know

Jan 18, 2022, 2:04:08 PM1/18/22

Friend james wonders:

>What does Jesus think today of people celebrating Valentine's Day?
>Just harmless fun? Promotes love? Aids the economic recovery?

He did not speak of this entirely secular day as it is observed.

>Well, those things are religiously fine in themselves, but not when
>they are attached to paganism. As the Bible puts it:

The day is not religious in any sense in its secular practices to which
friend james refers. But consider what friend james does; likely every
day; that does have pagan religious roots.

Our days of the week and months are mostly named after pagan gods. Take
thurssday for example. It means "thor's day" who was the nordic god of
thunder.

March is named for the roman god of war mars, the planet too of course
because of its sky position in yearly astrology..

So friend james commemorates pagan gods and astrology friequently in
his discourses.

For example; says he, "I will attend kigndom hall sunday", indeed named for
the sun god.

zeb...@windstream.net

Jan 19, 2022, 11:08:27 AM1/19/22
On 18 Jan 2022 19:04:05 GMT, anon...@nowhere.you.know wrote:

>Friend james wonders:
>
>>What does Jesus think today of people celebrating Valentine's Day?
>>Just harmless fun? Promotes love? Aids the economic recovery?
>>
>He did not speak of this entirely secular day as it is observed.
>
>>Well, those things are religiously fine in themselves, but not when
>>they are attached to paganism. As the Bible puts it:

2 Co 6:14-17,

"14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do
righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can
light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and
Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16
What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we
are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with
them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my
people." 17 "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the
Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you."" (NIV)

>The day is not religious in any sense in its secular practices to which
>friend james refers. But consider what friend james does; likely every
>day; that does have pagan religious roots.
>
>Our days of the week and months are mostly named after pagan gods. Take
>thurssday for example. It means "thor's day" who was the nordic god of
>thunder.
>
>March is named for the roman god of war mars, the planet too of course
>because of its sky position in yearly astrology..
>
>So friend james commemorates pagan gods and astrology friequently in
>his discourses.
>
>For example; says he, "I will attend kigndom hall sunday", indeed named for
>the sun god.

You apparently still don't get it. Here it is again:

2 Co 6:14-17,

"14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do
righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can
light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and
Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16
What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we
are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with
them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my
people." 17 "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the
Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you."" (NIV)

Unlike Valentines Day, people don't celebrate the days of the week. To
them, they are just time slots to do certain things. On Valentine's
Day where do you think that naked flying little 'love' angel with a
bow and arrow came from? (cupid) Notice the religious and sexual
connection here:

"In classical mythology, Cupid (Latin Cupido [k?'pi?do?], meaning
"passionate desire") is the god of desire, erotic love, attraction and
affection. He is often portrayed as the son of the love goddess Venus
and the god of war Mars"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupid)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the truth is truth.

servant

Jan 19, 2022, 12:31:02 PM1/19/22
I get it perfectly. Given the above as perhis logic friend james has by
frequent commemoration of pagan gods in the names of days and months yoked
himself to pagans and unbelievers. Is that about it; given choice of
scripture above?

zeb...@windstream.net

Jan 19, 2022, 1:44:14 PM1/19/22
You are missing the meaning. Do we celebrate Wednesday like we do
Valentine's Day? Do we celebrate Thursday like we do Valentine's Day?
Do we celebrate Saturday like we do Valentine's Day? I think by now
you should get the point. IF we celebrated days of the week, yes it
would be wrong because of their connection to religious paganism.

servant

Jan 19, 2022, 2:23:59 PM1/19/22
A difference without distinction. The days and months friend james uses
are to honor the gods after which they were named.

In doing so he yokes himself with pagans in honoring their gods in this
practice.

'What Are the Origins of the Names of Our Days and Months?'

https://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/library/bqa/id/118/what-are-origins-of-names-our-days-months.htm

Lucifer

Jan 19, 2022, 10:27:23 PM1/19/22
On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:44:10 -0500, zeb...@windstream.net wrote:

>>>2 Co 6:14-17,
>>>
>>>"14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do
>>>righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can
>>>light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and
>>>Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16
>>>What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?

All those things come from the one God.

>>>For we
>>>are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with
>>>them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my
>>>people." 17 "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the
>>>Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you."" (NIV)

Does God create unclean things?

James uses man made medication to control his panic attacks.

>>>You apparently still don't get it. Here it is again:
>>>
>>>2 Co 6:14-17,
>>>
>>>"14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do
>>>righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can
>>>light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and
>>>Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16
>>>What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?

All those things come from the one God.

>>>For we
>>>are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with
>>>them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my
>>>people." 17 "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the
>>>Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you."" (NIV)
>>
>>I get it perfectly. Given the above as per his logic friend james has by
>>frequent commemoration of pagan gods in the names of days and months yoked
>>himself to pagans and unbelievers. Is that about it; given choice of
>>scripture above?

You have that right.

>You are missing the meaning. Do we celebrate Wednesday like we do
>Valentine's Day? Do we celebrate Thursday like we do Valentine's Day?
>Do we celebrate Saturday like we do Valentine's Day?

Yes.

>I think by now
>you should get the point. IF we celebrated days of the week, yes it
>would be wrong because of their connection to religious paganism.

All religions are stupid and wrong.

zeb...@windstream.net

Jan 20, 2022, 8:00:21 AM1/20/22
Like I said. We don't celebrate the days of the week, nor worship the
false gods they represent. I am fine with that logic. You have to open
your mind if you are to grasp these things.

zeb...@windstream.net

Jan 20, 2022, 9:31:57 AM1/20/22
On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 14:27:15 +1100, Lucifer
<LuciferMo...@bigpond.com> wrote:

>All those things come from the one God.

Well, you have the "one God" thing right. But you need to flick on a
switch to light up your darkened room.

>Does God create unclean things?

Is the sun 93 miles away? Neither does God create unclean things.

>James uses man made medication to control his panic attacks.

And you use man made medicine to treat your headaches, etc.
What point are you trying to make?

>All those things come from the one God.

See above.

>>>I get it perfectly. Given the above as per his logic friend james has by
>>>frequent commemoration of pagan gods in the names of days and months yoked
>>>himself to pagans and unbelievers. Is that about it; given choice of
>>>scripture above?
>
>You have that right.
>
>>You are missing the meaning. Do we celebrate Wednesday like we do
>>Valentine's Day? Do we celebrate Thursday like we do Valentine's Day?
>>Do we celebrate Saturday like we do Valentine's Day?
>
>Yes.

Then you are a rare breed indeed.

>>I think by now
>>you should get the point. IF we celebrated days of the week, yes it
>>would be wrong because of their connection to religious paganism.
>
>All religions are stupid and wrong.

Give me a Christian example.

Sincerely James
Understand the Bible
www.jw.org

Lucifer

Jan 20, 2022, 5:33:12 PM1/20/22
On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:31:52 -0500, zeb...@windstream.net wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 14:27:15 +1100, Lucifer
><LuciferMo...@bigpond.com> wrote:

>>All those things come from the one God.
>
>Well, you have the "one God" thing right.

The one God is what the things in 2 Co 6:14-17 have in common.

>But you need to flick on a switch to light up your darkened room.

Is not the light of God sufficient?

>>Does God create unclean things?
>
>Is the sun 93 miles away?

The bible doesn't say.

>Neither does God create unclean things.

Then 2 Co 6:17 is blasphemy.

>>James uses man made medication to control his panic attacks.
>
>And you use man made medicine to treat your headaches, etc.
>What point are you trying to make?

You are opposed to science.

>>All those things come from the one God.
>
>See above.

You keep making the same mistakes so I need to keep correcting
you.

>>You have that right.
>>
>>>You are missing the meaning. Do we celebrate Wednesday like we do
>>>Valentine's Day? Do we celebrate Thursday like we do Valentine's Day?
>>>Do we celebrate Saturday like we do Valentine's Day?
>>
>>Yes.
>
>Then you are a rare breed indeed.

Does God create unclean things?

>>>I think by now
>>>you should get the point. IF we celebrated days of the week, yes it
>>>would be wrong because of their connection to religious paganism.
>>
>>All religions are stupid and wrong.
>
>Give me a Christian example.

The bible.

>Sincerely James