The fast is not the abstinence but the distancing from sins

Unknown

Nov 25, 2021, 11:12:16 AM11/25/21
"Fasting is the change of every part of our life, because the sacrifice of
the fast is not the abstinence but the distancing from sins. Therefore,
whoever limits the fast to the deprivation of food, he is the one who, in
reality, abhors and ridicules the fast. Are you fasting? Show me your fast
with your works. Which works? If you see someone who is poor, show him
mercy. If you see an enemy, reconcile with him. If you see a friend who is
becoming successful, do not be jealous of him! If you see a beautiful woman
on the street, pass her by."

St. John Chrysostom, On Fasting.

"The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, He shall grow like a cedar
in Lebanon. Those who are planted in the house of the Lord Shall flourish
in the courts of our God." Psalm 92:12-13

Draw nigh unto God and He will draw nigh unto you.