Listen to Him

Weedy

Aug 16, 2023, 4:49:06 AM8/16/23
Listen to Him

"A voice from the cloud said, This is my beloved Son, with whom I am
well pleased; listen to him. I am manifested through his preaching. I
am glorified through his humility. So listen to him without
hesitation. He is the truth and the life. He is my strength and
wisdom. "Listen to him" whom the mysteries of the law foreshadowed, of
whom the mouths of the prophets sang. "Listen to him" who by his blood
redeemed the world, who binds the devil and seizes his vessels, who
breaks the debt of sin and the bondage of iniquity. "Listen to him"
who opens the way to heaven and by the pain of the cross prepares for
you the steps of ascent into his kingdom."
by Leo the Great, 400?-461 A.D.(excerpt from Sermon 38,7)

<<>><<>><<>>
August 16: - Saint Stephen of Hungary
(also known as Saint Stephen the Great,)

(969-1038)
Saint Stephen of Hungary was the first Christian king of Hungary.
Following his Christian missionary work and ascension to the throne,
it was written of the formerly pagan territory: "The mouth of the
Huns, formerly spewing foam and rage, now distils the honey of
charity. Such, O Christ, are Thy miracles; such are Thy works, O our
God!" He is known as the Apostle of Hungary.

Stephen was born at Gran (modern day Hungary). The son of Prince
Geisa, the 4th Duke of the Huns of Hungary, had been converted to the
Christian faith, along with his wife and several ministers. Throughout
his lifetime, Prince Geisa labored to bring Christianity to his land.
His wife, following a vision, told him that they would bear a son who
would perfect the Christian work they had begun. They named him
Stephen, and he was baptized by Saint Adalbert, bishop of Prague.

Stephen was educated in Italy, under the tutelage of Saint Adalbert,
and resided at the court of a pious count. When he was 15 years old,
he returned home and his father gave him the commandment of his
armies, seeing his virtue and Christian ardor. Stephen began to root
out idolatry and transform the pagan customs still existing among the
people. He also showed great generosity and care for the poor and
suffering in the land, inspiring others to charitable works and
service.

When Stephen was just 20, his father died, and he ascended to the
throne. Immediately, the pagan nobility rebelled, fearing that Stephen
would spread the faith of Christianity even further throughout the
land. They killed Christian nobles, burned fields, and rose up to
challenge the new king. Without hesitation, Saint Stephen marched upon
the rebels, under the banners of Saint George and Saint Martin, and
despite inferior forces, triumphed. In thanksgiving to the Lord,
Stephen had a monastery constructed on the spot of victory--dedicated
to Saint Martin--which is now referred to as the Holy Hill.

Stephen worked to establish Christianity throughout the country,
forming the archbishopric at Gran. He petitioned the pope to support
his actions in the name of God. Stephen founded monasteries and
churches all over the land, and Pope Sylvester II appointed bishops to
the eleven sees he had endowed, and bestowed upon him, for the greater
success of his work, the title of king. Pope Sylvester II sent him a
cross to be borne before him, saying that he regarded him as the true
apostle of his people. In 1001, on the feast of the Assumption of Our
Blessed Mother, he received a royal crown and was solemnly enthroned.

Despite his fierceness in battle, and his ardor and zeal for defending
the faith against invasion and rebellion, no trait was more evident in
St Stephen than his love and charity for the poor. It is said that
because he visited those in need in their houses and washed their
feet, his right hand has remained incorrupt since his death. He often
went out in disguise to exercise his charities, moving amongst the
poor and downtrodden, not wishing to be detected. One day, a band of
beggars, not satisfied with the alms they received, threw him down,
tore out handfuls of his hair and beard, and took his purse. He prayed
to the Lord and thanked Him for an insult he would not have suffered
from enemies, but accepted gladly from the poor who, he said to Him,
“are called Your own, and for whom I can have only indulgence and
tenderness.” He further prayed to Our Blessed Mother, to whom he was
especially devoted, "Queen of heaven, see how your people have treated
me whom you made king. If they were your enemies, I would have
punished them. But since they are your Son's people, I will suffer
this joyfully and say thank you for it."

Saint Stephen’s devotion was all-consuming. He placed his realms under
the protection of our Blessed Lady--to whom he devoted Hungary--and
kept the feast of Her Assumption with great affection. Mary, the
Mother of God, is considered the patroness of Hungary even today.
Saint Stephen established just laws, and saw to their execution. All
was done in service of the Lord, guided by the faith. While he spent a
great deal of time in war, he only engaged in wars of defense--when
Hungary was invaded multiple times, oftentimes by his relatives. In
each case, he was victorious, sending missionaries into any captured
lands, and spreading Christianity throughout the region.

Saint Stephen married the sister of the Emperor Saint Henry, Gisela,
who was a worthy companion for him. From his marriage came a saintly
son, the devout Emeric, an angel of purity, who died 7 years before
his father. Along with the death of Emeric, his other children died,
one by one. Stephen bore all with perfect submission to the Will of
God, however, embracing his trials, and doubling his time spent in
prayer and meditation.

When Saint Stephen was about to die, he summoned his bishops and
nobles, and told them to choose his successor. He urged them to
nurture and cherish the Catholic Church, which was still a tender
plant in Hungary, to follow justice, humility, and charity, to be
obedient to the laws, and to show at all times a reverent submission
to the Holy See. Then, raising his eyes towards heaven, he said: “O
Queen of Heaven, August Restorer of a prostrate world, to Thy care I
commend the Holy Church, my people, and my realm, and my own departing
soul.” Saint Stephen died on his favorite feast day, the feast of the
Assumption.

Throughout his life, Saint Stephen had Christ on his lips, Christ in
his heart, and Christ in all he did. Today, on his feast day, we pray
for the same devotion, the same fervor, the same guiding faith in all
that we say, do, and feel. Saint Stephen, pray for us!
by Jacob

Saint Quote:
“If we should be saved and become saints, we ought always to stand at
the gates of the Divine mercy to beg and pray for, as an alms, all
that we need.”
--Saint Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Bible Quote:
For which thing, thrice I besought the Lord that it might depart from me. And he said to me: My grace is sufficient for thee: for power is made perfect in infirmity. Gladly therefore will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  (2 Corinthians 12:8-9) DRV

<><><><>
Reflection
To honor the martyrs and duty celebrate their festivals, we must learn
their spirit, and study to imitate them according to the circumstances
of our state. We must, like them, resist evil unto blood, must subdue
our passions, suffer afflictions with patience, and bear with others
without murmuring or complaining. Many practice voluntary austerities
cheerfully, only because they are of their own choice. But true
patience requires, in the first place, that we bear all afflictions
and contradictions from whatever quarter they come; and in this
consists true virtue. Though we pray for heaven, our prayers will not
avail, unless we make use of the means which God sends to bring us
thither. The cross is the ladder by which we must ascend.