Sharing our Talents

weedy

Sep 24, 2021, 3:01:09 AM9/24/21
Sharing our Talents

So, it is very important for us to spend some time in reflecting on
what are my unique ‘talents’ or gifts or abilities and then to ask how
and to what end I am using them? And the time to do that is today
because, as we have been amply warned, we do not know when our
‘employer’ is coming back to check his accounts with us. The end of
today’s passage indicates that if we do not move forward, or are not
productive, then we go backwards. We cannot remain static or purely
passive in God’s service. To do nothing is not a possible option. The
more we give and share with others from the resources we have the more
we are personally enriched; on the other hand, to cling to our gifts
and keep them just for ourselves is to become smaller in every way.

<<>><<>><<>>
24 September – Saint Gerard Sagredo OSB

 (980-1046)
 Bishop and Martyr, “The Apostle of Hungary,” Venetian nobleman,
Benedictine monk, Prior of San Giorgio, Missionary to Hungary, Adviser
to King Saint Stephen, Tutor to Prince Saint Emeric, Hermit, Bishop of
Csanád, Writer, Reformer and Martyr, murdered by pagans on this day in
1046. Born on 23 April 980 in Venice, Italy and died by being stabbed
to death with a lance on 24 September 1046 at Buda, Hungary. Also
known as Gerard of Hungary, Collert, Gerardo, Gellért.

At Baptism he received the name Jorge and belonged to a family from
Dalmatia, which is descended from the Sagredo lineage. At the age of 5
he had a serious fever that his parents implored the grace of Saint
George to heal.

Once cured and he had reached the required age, he entered the
Benedictine Monastery of San Giorgio Maggiore on the Maggiore Island
in Venice and in memory of his recently deceased father, he took the
name Gerard. After a few years he was elected Prior of the Monastery
and later Abbot but shortly after he resigned because he wanted to go
on pilgrimage to Bethlehem.

He left in a ship, reached Zara, from where instead of continuing to
the Holy Land, he went to Hungary where he settled. He was persuaded
by Saint Stephen of Hungary to work in the evangelisation of the
Magyars. However, he did not want to stay at the Court and for seven
years he lived as a Hermit in the Beel.

Later he was Tutor to Prince Saint Emeric and in 1035, he was elected
the first Bishop of Csnád; he worked with the utmost zeal, especially
in liturgical observance and in the evangelisation of the people; they
called him the Apostle of Hungary.

During the pagan reaction to the death of King Saint Stephen, he was
martyred in Buda, where he was stoned and pierced by spears, locked in
a barrel, he was thrown into the Danube from the top of a hill that
today is called “Gellerthegy” – “Mount of San Gerard”; Gerard had
refused to crown idolatrous kings.

He wrote several works among which the “Commentary on Daniel” is the
most higly revered. He is considered the Apostle and Protomartyr of
Hungary.

From anastpaul./2020/09/24/

Saint Quote:
Let my soul live as if separated from my body.
--St. John of the Cross

"When we die, we will not be criticized for having failed to work miracles.
We will not be accused of having failed to be theologians or
contemplatives. But we will certainly have some explanation to offer to God
for not having mourned unceasingly."
--St. John Climacus, The Ladder of Divine Ascent.

Bible Quote:
 So also you now indeed have sorrow; but I will see you again, and
your heart shall rejoice; and your joy no man shall take from you.
(John 16:22)

<><><><>
Prayer of St. Ephrem to the Blessed Virgin Mary

O Immaculate and wholly pure Virgin Mary, Mother of God, Queen of the
world, hope of those who are in despair, thou art the joy of the
Saints; thou art the peacemaker between sinners and God; thou art the
advocate of the abandoned, the secure haven of those who are on the
sea of the world; thou art the consolation of the world, the ransom of
slaves, the comfortress of the afflicted, the salvation of the
universe. O great Queen, we take refuge in thy protection: 'We have no
confidence but in thee, O most faithful Virgin.' After God thou art
all our hope. We bear the name of thy servants; allow not the enemy to
drag us to hell. I salute thee, O great Mediatress of peace, between
men and God, Mother of Jesus our Lord, who is the love of all men and
of God, to whom be honor and benediction with the Father and the Holy
Ghost. Amen.