Jesus has conquered Satan

weedy

Nov 29, 2022, 3:35:55 AM11/29/22
Jesus has conquered Satan

"[Jesus] has conquered the ruler of this world. Having, so to speak,
hamstrung him and stripped him of the power he possessed, he has given
him over for a prey to his followers. He says, 'The strong man, being
armed, guards his house; all his goods are in peace. But when one who
is stronger than he shall come on him and overcome him, he takes away
all his armor wherein he trusted and divides his spoil.' This is a
plain demonstration and type of the matter depicted after the manner
of human affairs... Before the coming of the Savior, he was in great
power, driving and shutting up in his own stall flocks that were not
his own but belonging to God over all. He was like some voracious and
most insolent robber. Since the Word of God who is above all, the
Giver of all might and Lord of powers attacked him, having become man,
all his goods have been plundered and his spoil divided. Those of old
who had been ensnared by him into ungodliness and error have been
called by the holy apostles to the acknowledgment of the truth and
been brought near to God the Father by faith in his Son." Luke
11:15-26
by Cyril of Alexandria (excerpt from COMMENTARY ON LUKE, HOMILY 81)

<<>><<>><<>>
• November 29th - Blessed Dionysius and Redemptus, Martyrs
d. 1638

THERE was born at Honfleur in Normandy in the year 1600 to the family
of Berthelot the first of ten children, and he was baptized Peter.
When he was 19 he sailed to the East Indies in the French ship
Espérance, which was captured and burnt by Dutch privateers. Young
Berthelot made his escape from Java and for some years traded on his
own. Then he entered the Portuguese service at Malacca, became first a
pilot and then cartographer, and took part in several expeditions.

In 1635 he met at Goa the prior of the Discalced Carmelites, and was
induced by him to join that order, taking the name of Dionysius. Soon
after his profession the Portuguese viceroy asked for his services as
pilot to the embassy that he was sending to Sumatra. The Carmelite
authorities agreed, and ordained Friar Dionysius priest so that he
could act as chaplain as well; he was accompanied by a lay brother,
Redemptus. His name in the world was Thomas Rodriguez da Cunha, and he
had been a soldier in India before he joined the Carmelites. No sooner
had they arrived at Achin (Koetaraja) than the ambassador and his
suite were seized by the Sumatrans and put in prison. A number of them
were massacred, including the two friars. Dionysius, refusing to
apostatize, was to be trampled by elephants, but the impatient pagans
cut him down; Redemptus was killed a few days later. Directly the news
reached Goa the prior, Friar Philip, collected evidence and prepared
to introduce the cause of beatification of his two subjects; but
Dionysius and Redemptus were not in fact beatified until 1900.

An account of these martyrs is given in considerable detail by Frey
João do Sacramento in his Chronica de Carmelitas Descalços, vol. ii
(1721), pp. 798-813. He informs us that Father Philip induced
Archbishop Francis of Goa to institute a formal process with a view to
the beatification of the martyrs and that the same Father Philip
published a relation of the events which attended their death. This
seems to be contained in his books, Itinerarium Orientale (1649) and
Decor Carmeli (1665). We have in modern times Thomas de Jesus, Les bx
Denis de la Nativité et Rédempt de la Croix (1900) P. Gonthier, Vie
admirable de Pierre Berthelot (1917) and a series of articles in
Etudes Carmelitaines, 1912, pp. 426-442, and 1913, pp. 215-227 and pp.
387-397. Some maps drawn by Bd Dionysius are said to be in the British
Museum.

Saint Quote:
For the cup we drink is a participation in the blood of Christ, and
the bread we break is a participation in the body of Christ. Because
there is one loaf, we who are many are one body, since we all share
the same bread. And so we pray that, by the same grace which made the
Church Christ's body, all its members may remain firm in the unity of
that body through the enduring bond of love.
-- Saint Fulgentius of Ruspe

Bible Quote:
Then I heard what seemed to be the voice
of a great multitude crying out, “Hallelujah!”
For the Lord our God, the Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready;
to her it has been granted to be clothed
with fine linen, bright and pure. [Rev. 19:6–8]

<><><><>
"We must repeat with the utmost energy in these times of social and
intellectual anarchy when everyone takes it upon himself to teach as a
teacher and lawmaker--the City cannot be built otherwise than as God
has built it; society cannot be setup unless the Church lays the
foundation and supervises the work; no, civilization is not something
yet to be found, nor is the New City to be built on hazy notions; it
has been in existence and still is: it is Christian civilization, it
is the Catholic City. It has only to be set up and restored
continually against the unremitting attacks of insane dreamers,
rebels, and miscreants.

OMNIA INSTAURARE IN CHRISTO. ("To restore all things in Christ.")

~Our Apostolic Mandate on the Sillon, 1910
Pope St. Pius X

"Unless the Lord keep the city, he watcheth in vain that keepeth it."
~The Holy Bible, Psalm 126: