We are ambassadors for Jesus Christ

weedy

Jul 11, 2022, 3:32:29 AM7/11/22
We are ambassadors for Jesus Christ

Paul the Apostle reminds us that we are called to be ambassadors for
Jesus Christ. Just as ambassadors are appointed to represent their
country and to speak on behalf of their nation's ruler, we, too are
appointed by the Lord Jesus to speak on his behalf and to bring others
into a close and personal encounter with the Lord and Ruler of heaven
and earth. This is the great commission which the risen Christ gives
to the whole church. All believers have been given a share in this
task - to be heralds of the good news and ambassadors for Jesus
Christ, the only savior of the world. We have not been left alone in
this task, for the risen Lord works in and through us by the power of
his Holy Spirit. Today we witness a new Pentecost as the Lord pours
out his Holy Spirit upon his people to renew and strengthen the body
of Christ and to equip it for effective ministry and mission
world-wide. Do you witness to others the joy of the Gospel and the
hope of the resurrection?

<<>><<>><<>>
July 11th - St. John of Bergamo, Italy, Bishop

d. 690
Consecrated in 656, John was noted for his opposition to the Arian
heretics and for his holiness and learning

It was originally reported that he was martyred by the Arians, but
John died of natural causes.
This John, having been elected to the see of Bergamo because of his
holiness and learning, set himself to get rid of the heresies,
particularly the remnants of Arianism, which were polluting the faith
of his diocese. He was present at the synod held by Pope St. Agatho in
679 at Rome at which St. Wilfrid of York appealed against the division
of his diocese. It has been alleged, though erroneously, that St.
John met his death through the malice of heretics, and he was
venerated as a martyr, e.g. in the Roman Martyrology, which refers to
him as "slain by the Arians for defending the Catholic faith". He
died peacefully c. 690.

It is related that on one occasion St. John of Bergamo was at Pavia,
dining with the duke of Benevento, when he openly rebuked the duke's
son for an act of injustice of which he was guilty. The young man,
Cunibert by name, took the reproof badly and concocted a scheme to
revenge himself. Professing much friendliness for the bishop, he sent
him a present of a saddle-horse, but in fact one so vicious that no
one dare get on its back. When St. John set out from Pavia he decided
to ride the new horse, and when he was in the saddle the servants of
Cunibert standing round expected every minute to see him thrown off
and savaged on the flagstones of the courtyard; but nothing of the
sort occurred, the beast was quite quiet and obeyed every touch of the
bridle.

See the Acta Sanctorum, July, vol. iii; and Ughelli, Itallia Sacra,
vol. iv, p. 590. Ughelli describes him as the thirteenth bishop of
Bergamo. His historical existence is made certain by a reference to
him in Paullus Diaconus, Historia Langobardorum, bk vi, ch. 3 .

Saint Quote:
That we may not be deceived by self-love, in considering matters that
concern us, we ought to look at them as if they belonged to others,
and our only business with them was to give our judgment not from
interest, but in the cause of truth; and in the same way we should
look on others' affairs as our own.
--St. Ignatius Loyola

Bible Quote
He that is faithful in that which is least, is faithful also in that
which is greater: and he that is unjust in that which is little, is
unjust also in that which is greater. (Luke 16:10)

<><><><>
A Prayer for Fulfilling the Will of God

by Thomas à Kempis (1380-1471)

O most merciful Jesus,
grant me Your grace,
that it may remain with me always
and persevere with me to the end.
Grant me always to will and desire,
what is more pleasing and acceptable to You.
Let Your will be mind
and let my will always follow Yours
in perfect conformity with it.
Let my will and desires always be one with Yours
and let me be unable to will or not to will,
except as You will or do not will.
Grant that I may die to all worldly things
and that I may be despised and unknown
for love of You.
Grant, above all things to be desired,
that I may find rest in You
and that in Your Heart alone may be my peace.
You, O Lord, give true peace to the heart
and perfect rest to body and soul.
Apart from You, all is difficult and never still.
In that peace, in You Who are the one,
supreme and eternal Good,
I will sleep and take my rest.
Amen