On Humility in the Sight of God [II]

Weedy

Dec 15, 2022, 4:19:52 AM12/15/22
On Humility in the Sight of God [II]

It is Thy love that achieves this, freely guiding and supporting me in
my many needs, guarding me from grievous perils, and, as I may
truthfully confess, rescuing me from evils without number. And whereas
by perverse self-love I had lost myself, (John 12:25) now by lovingly
seeking Thee alone, I have found both myself and Thee; for by that
love I have humbled myself to utter nothingness. Dearest Lord, You
deal with me above my deserts, and above all I dare hope or pray for.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 3, Ch 8

<<>><<>><<>>
December 15th – St. Paul of Latros, Wonderworker
(Also known as Paul the Younger)

The father of this hermit was an officer in the imperial army who was
slain in an engagement with the Saracens. His mother then retired from
Pergamos, which was the place of his birth, to Bithynia, taking her
two sons with her. Basil, the elder, took the monastic habit upon
Mount Olympus in that country, but soon for the sake of greater
solitude retired to Mount Latros (Latmus). When their mother was dead
he induced his brother to embrace the same state of life. Though
young, Paul had experienced the world sufficiently to understand the
emptiness and dangers of what it has to offer. Basil recommended him
to the care and instruction of the abbot of Karia. St. Paul desired
for the sake of greater solitude and austerity to lead an eremitical
life; but his abbot, thinking him too young, refused him leave so long
as he lived. After his death Paul’s first cell was a cave on the
highest part of Mount Latros, where for some weeks he had no other
food than green acorns, which at first made him very sick. After 8
months he was called back to Karia. It is said that when he worked in
the kitchen the sight of the fire so forcibly reminded him of Hell
that he burst into tears every time he looked at it.

When he was allowed to pursue his vocation Paul chose a new habitation
on the rockiest part of the mountain, where for the first 3 years he
suffered grievous temptations. A peasant sometimes brought him a
little food, but he mostly lived on what grew wild. The reputation of
his holiness spreading through the province, several men chose to live
near him and built there a laura of cells. Paul, who had been careless
about all corporal necessaries, was much concerned lest anything
should be wanting to those that lived under his direction. After 12
years his solitude was so much broken into that he withdrew to another
part of the mountains, whence he visited his brethren from time to
time to cheer and encourage them; he sometimes took them into the
forest to sing the Divine Office together in the open air. When asked
why he appeared sometimes so joyful, at other times so sad, he
answered, “When nothing diverts my thoughts from God, my heart
overflows with joy, so much that I often forget my food and everything
else; and when there are distractions, I am upset”. Occasionally he
disclosed something of the wonderful communications, which passed
between his soul and God, and of the heavenly graces that he received
in contemplation.

But St. Paul wished for yet closer retirement, so he passed over to
the isle of Samos, and there concealed himself in a cave. But he was
soon discovered and so many flocked to him that he re-established
three lauras that had been ruined by the Saracens. The entreaties of
the monks at Latros induced him to return to his former cell there.
The Emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitus wrote frequently to him asking
his advice, and often had reason to repent when he did not follow it.
Paul had a great tenderness for the poor and he gave them more of his
food and clothes than he could properly spare. Once he would have sold
himself for a slave to help some people in distress had he not been
stopped. On December 6 in 956, foreseeing that his death drew near, he
came down from his cell to the church, celebrated the Holy Mysteries
more early than usual and then took to his bed. He spent his time in
prayer and instructing his monks till his death, which fell on
December 15

After having been printed for the first time in the Analecta
Bollandiana, vol. xi (1892), a still more carefully revised text was
edited by Delehaye in the volume Der Latmos, issued in 1913 by T.
Wiegand and other scholars, with abundant illustrations and
archaeological comments. The Life of St. Paul, written by an anonymous
disciple, is one of the most trustworthy of Byzantine biographies. In
Wiegand’s volume it is supplemented by a panegyric from MS. Vatican
704 previously unprinted. See also the Zeitschrift f. kath. Theologie,
vol. xviii (1894), pp. 365 seq., and the Revue des quest. histor.,
vol. x (1893), pp. 49-85.

Saint Quote:
After you have made a decision that is pleasing to God, the Devil may
try to make you have second thoughts. Intensify your prayer time,
meditation, and good deeds. For if Satan's temptations merely cause
you to increase your efforts to grow in holiness, he'll have an
incentive to leave you alone.
-- St. Ignatius of Loyola

Bible Quote:
For we must all be manifested before the judgment seat of Christ, that
every one may receive the proper things of the body, according as he
hath done, whether it be good or evil. (2 Cor 5:10) DRB

<><><><>
O Lord, Into Your Hands
Morning Offering of
St Edmund Campion SJ (1540-1581)
Martyr

O Lord, into Your hands
and into the hands of Your holy Angels,
this day I entrust my soul,
my relatives, my benefactors,
my friends and enemies
and all Your Catholic people.
O Lord, by the merits and prayers
of the Blessed Virgin Mary
and of all Your Saints,
keep us today from all evil and unruly desires,
from all sins and temptations of the devil,
from a sudden and unprovided death
and from the pains of hell.
Enlighten my heart with the
grace of Your Holy Spirit.
Grant that I may ever be obedient
to Your commandments.
Let me never be separated from You, O Jesus,
who live and reign with God the Father
and the same Holy Spirit forever.
Amen.

ABLAZE WITH THE FIRE