OREMUS for Saturday, September 19, 2009

jwshe...@satx.rr.com

Sep 19, 2009, 1:02:52 PM9/19/09
Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link
to our store in association with Amazon and other opportunities to
support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Saturday, September 19, 2009
Theodore of Tarsus, Archbishop of Canterbury, 690
Lord, open our lips,
Blessed are you, O God,
in Christ the walls that divide are broken down,
the chains that enslave are thrown aside,
and we are freed from death and despair
to life and hope,
liberated from hate and war
and empowered to love and seek peace.
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:
Blessed be God for ever!

An opening canticle may be sung.

Psalm 68:1-19 [CCP]
Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered;*
let those who hate him flee before him.
Let them vanish like smoke
when the wind drives it away;*
as the wax melts at the fire,
so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
But let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home
and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
in your goodness, O God,
you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
‘Kings with their armies are fleeing away;*
the women at home are dividing the spoils.’
Though you lingered among the sheepfolds,*
you shall be like a dove
whose wings are covered with silver,
whose feathers are like green gold.
When the Almighty scattered kings,*
it was like snow falling in Zalmon.
O mighty mountain, O hill of Bashan!*
O rugged mountain, O hill of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O rugged mountain,
at the hill which God chose for his resting place?*
truly, the Lord will dwell there for ever.
The chariots of God are twenty thousand,
even thousands of thousands;*
the Lord comes in holiness from Sinai.
You have gone up on high and led captivity captive;
you have received gifts even from your enemies,*
that the Lord God might dwell among them.
Blessèd be the Lord day by day,*
the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.

A Song of Pilgrimage (Ecclesiasticus 51.13a,13c 17,20,21a,22b)
While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.
Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.
From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.
My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.
I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.
I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her, I will give glory.
I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.
With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.
My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God(s praise.

Psalm 150
Alleluia!
Praise God in his holy temple;*
Praise him for his mighty acts;*
praise him for his excellent greatness.
Praise him with the blast of the ram’s horn;*
praise him with lyre and harp.
Praise him with timbrel and dance;*
praise him with strings and pipe.
Praise him with resounding cymbals;*
praise him with loud clanging cymbals.
Let everything that has breath*
praise the Lord.
Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 34:1-8]:
The senseless have vain and false hopes,
and dreams give wings to fools.
As one who catches at a shadow and pursues the wind,
so is anyone who believes in dreams.
What is seen in dreams is but a reflection,
the likeness of a face looking at itself.
From an unclean thing what can be clean?
And from something false what can be true?
Divinations and omens and dreams are unreal,
and like a woman in labour, the mind has fantasies.
Unless they are sent by intervention from the Most High,
pay no attention to them.
For dreams have deceived many,
and those who put their hope in them have perished.
Without such deceptions the law will be fulfilled,
and wisdom is complete in the mouth of the faithful.

HYMN
Words: Katharina Amalia Dorothea von Schlegel (born 1697),
trans. Jane Laurie Borthwick (1813-1897)
Tune: Finlandia
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b017.html

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side;
bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
leave to thy God to order and provide;
in every change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
to guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
all now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
his voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
and all is darkened in the vale of tears,
then shalt thou better know his love, his heart,
who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay,
from his own fulness, all he takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
when we shall be forever with the Lord,
when disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored,.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
all safe and bless‚d we shall meet at last.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 9]:
Now it is not necessary for me to write to you about the ministry to
the saints, for I know your eagerness, which is the subject of my
boasting about you to the people of Macedonia, saying that Achaia has
been ready since last year; and your zeal has stirred up most of them.
But I am sending the brothers in order that our boasting about you may
not prove to have been empty in this case, so that you may be ready,
as I said you would be; otherwise, if some Macedonians come with me
and find that you are not ready, we would be humiliated—to say nothing
of you—in this undertaking. So I thought it necessary to urge the
brothers to go on ahead to you, and arrange in advance for this
bountiful gift that you have promised, so that it may be ready as a
voluntary gift and not as an extortion.

The point is this: the one who sows sparingly will also reap
sparingly, and the one who sows bountifully will also reap
bountifully. Each of you must give as you have made up your mind, not
reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And
God is able to provide you with every blessing in abundance, so that
by always having enough of everything, you may share abundantly in
every good work. As it is written, 'He scatters abroad, he gives to
the poor; his righteousness endures for ever.'

He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and
multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your
righteousness. You will be enriched in every way for your great
generosity, which will produce thanksgiving to God through us; for the
rendering of this ministry not only supplies the needs of the saints
but also overflows with many thanksgivings to God. Through the testing
of this ministry you glorify God by your obedience to the confession
of the gospel of Christ and by the generosity of your sharing with
them and with all others, while they long for you and pray for you
because of the surpassing grace of God that he has given you. Thanks
be to God for his indescribable gift!

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
God of glory, we praise you for your presence in our lives, and for
all goodness that you shower upon your children in Jesus Christ.
Especially we thank you for
promises kept and hope for tomorrow...
(We thank you, Lord.)
the enjoyment of friends...
the wonders of your creation...
love from our parents, our sisters and brothers,
our spouses, lovers, and children...
pleasures of living...

God of grace, we are one with all your children, for we are sisters
and brothers of Jesus Christ, and we offer our prayers for all whom we
love. Especially we pray for
those we too often forget...
(Lord, hear our prayer.)
people who have lost hope...
victims of tragedy and disaster...
those who suffer mental anguish...
ecumenical councils and church agencies...
Father,
your tortured Son felt abandoned,
and cried out in anguish from the cross,
yet you delivered him
He overcame the bonds of death
and rose in triumph from the grave.
Do not hide your face from those who cry to you:
feed the hungry,
strengthen the weak,
and break the chains of the oppressed,
that your people may rejoice in your saving deeds.
This we ask in the Name of Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Almighty God,
you called your servant Theodore of Tarsus
from Rome to the see of Canterbury,
and gave him gifts of grace and wisdom
to establish unity where there had been division,
and order where there had been chaos:
Create in your Church,
by the operation of your Holy Spirit,
such godly union and concord
that it may proclaim, both by word and example,
the Gospel of the Prince of Peace;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

- The Lord's Prayer

Let your peace, O God,
fill our hearts, our world, our universe. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society
of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.
The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary
Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version
(Anglicized Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of
Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ
in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by Walter Farquahrson and
a prayer by Satish Kumar. The closing prayer uses a sentence from the
same prayer by Kumar.

http://www.oremus.org/oremus.cgi?f