If we are not about to offer to ourselves the help rendered by the fast

Unknown

Dec 6, 2021, 9:25:03 AM12/6/21
"If we are not about to offer to ourselves the help rendered by the fast
because of bodily illness and at the same time display greater
indifference, we will see ourselves in an unusual exaggerated way. For if
the fast does not help us when all the aforementioned accomplishments are
missing so much is the case when we display greater indifference because we
cannot even use the medicine of fasting. Since you have learned these
things from us, I pardon you, those who can, fast and you yourselves
increase your acuteness and praiseworthy desire as much as possible."

St. John Chrysostom, On Fasting.

"Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the
Lord his God, Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them;
Who keeps truth forever, Who executes justice for the oppressed, Who gives
food to the hungry. The Lord gives freedom to the prisoners." Psalm 146:5-7

Draw nigh unto God and He will draw nigh unto you.