How Man has no Personal Goodness of which to Boast {III}

Weedy

Jan 19, 2023, 4:55:03 AM1/19/23
How Man has no Personal Goodness of which to Boast {III}

3 Wherefore, but I did know well, how to cast from me all human
comfort, either for the sake of devotion, or through the necessity by
which I am compelled to seek Thee, because there is no man that can
comfort me. Then might I deservedly hope in Thy favor, and rejoice in
the gift of a new consolation. Thanks be to Thee from Whom all things
proceed, as often as it happens to me. I, indeed, am but vanity, and
nothing in Thy sight , an inconstant and weak man. Where, therefore,
can I glory, or for what do I desire to be thought of highly?
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 3 Ch 40

<<>><<>><<>>
January 19th - Blessed Andrew of Peschiera
(also known as Blessed Andrew Grego, Apostle of the Valtelline)

Born at Peschiera, Italy; died in Valtellina District (near Swiss
border), Italy, 1485; cultus confirmed 1820.

As a child, Andrew Grego lived on the southern shore of Lake Garda, in
northern Italy. His training for a life of heroic sanctity began
early, with voluntary penances and unquestioning obedience to his
father. Andrew's first desire was to be a hermit, an ambition that was
met with ridicule from his brothers. Failing to realize this hope, he
made for himself a severe schedule of prayer and penance, and, in his
own house, lived the life of one wholly given to God.

After the death of his father, it became increasingly difficult to
carry out his plan, so he resolved to enter the cloister. Although his
brothers had persecuted him without mercy, he knelt and humbly begged
their prayers and forgiveness for having annoyed them. Then he gave
them the only possession he had, a walking-stick. This stick, thrown
carelessly in a corner by the brothers, was forgotten until, long
afterwards, it bloomed like the legendary rod of Saint Joseph in token
of Andrew's holiness.

The 15-year old received the Dominican habit at Brescia and then was
sent to San Marco in Florence. This convent was then at its peak of
glory, stamped with the saintly personalities of Saint Antoninus and
the Blesseds of Lawrence of Riprafratta, Constantius, and Antony della
Chiesa. Andrew's soul caught the fire of their apostolic zeal, and set
forth on his mission in the mountains of northern Italy.

Heresy and poverty had combined to draw almost this entire region from
the Church. It was a country of great physical difficulties, and, in
his travels in the Alps, he risked death from snowstorms and
avalanches as often as from the daggers of the heretics. Nevertheless,
he travelled tirelessly, preaching, teaching, and building—for his
entire lifetime (45 years).

Churches, hospitals, schools, and orphanages were built under Andrew's
direction. He would retire from time to time to these convents for
periods of prayer and spiritual refreshment, so that he could return
with renewed courage and zeal to the difficult apostolate. He was
known as "the Apostle of the Valtelline," because of the district he
evangelized.

Blessed Andrew performed many miracles. Probably his greatest miracle
was his preaching, which produced such fruits in the face of great
obstacles. At one time, when he was preaching to the people, the
heretics presented him with a book in which they had written down
their beliefs. He told them to open the book and see for themselves
what their teachings amounted to. They did so, and a large viper
emerged from the book.

Blessed Andrew closed a holy life by an equally holy death and was
buried in Morbegno. He had labored so long among the poor and the
neglected that his place in their hearts was secured. Because of the
miracles worked at his tomb, and the persistent devotion of the
people, his relics were twice transferred to more suitable tombs
(Attwater2, Benedictines, Dorcy).

Saint Quote:
He who fails to reflect before acting, walks with his eyes shut and
advances with danger. He also falls very often, because the eye of
reflection does not enable him to see whither his footsteps lead.
--St. Gregory the Great

Bible Quote:
Do not be conformed to this world[a] but be transformed by the renewal
of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good
and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2 RSVCE

<><><><>
In the Lives of the Holy Fathers it is narrated of the Abbot
Paphnutius, who was highly celebrated for sanctity, that one day he
expressed a desire to know from the Lord whether he had any merit in
His eyes. He received the reply that he had gained equal merit with a
certain nobleman, whose name was given. The Saint immediately visited
this gentleman, by whom he was kindly treated and hospitably
entertained. When the repast was over, the Abbot begged of his host to
tell him what was his manner of life. The Baron excused himself by
saying that he did not possess any virtue, but after many entreaties,
he said that he was very careful to entertain pilgrims, and provide
them with whatever might be necessary for their journey; that he never
despised the poor, but helped them in their need as much as he could;
that he had justice administered equitably, and always gave honest
decisions, never swerving from right through fear or favor; that he
never oppressed his subjects; that he allowed anyone to become his
tenant, and expected from no one more than what was justly his due;
that no one could complain of ever having received harm or damage from
his family or cattle; that he had never offended or slandered anyone,
but treated all with respect, helped all as far as he was able and
endeavored to keep all in peace and harmony. On hearing this the holy
Abbot was greatly edified, and understood that true perfection
consisted not in great deeds, but in fulfilling our duties.

("A Year with the Saints". January - Perfection)

<><><><>
O Lord Our God

O Lord our God, what sins I have this day committed in word, deed, or
thought, forgive me, for You are gracious, and You love all men. Grant me
peaceful and undisturbed sleep, send me Your guardian angel to protect and
guard me from every evil, for You are the guardian of our souls and bodies,
and to You we ascribe glory, to the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost,
now and forever and unto the ages of ages. - Amen