Inquire not into the Unsearchable Judgments of God [III]

Weedy

Apr 15, 2023, 4:15:38 AM4/15/23
Inquire not into the Unsearchable Judgments of God [III]

Some, in their ardent enthusiasm, profess a greater devotion to one
Saint than to another; but this devotion is of human origin, not
divine. I am He who made all the Saints; I gave them grace; I endowed
them with glory. I know the merits of each; I went before them with My
blessings. (Ps. 21:3) I foreknew my loved ones before time began.
(Rom.8:29) I chose them out of the world; (John 15:19) they did not
first choose Me. I called them by grace; (Gal. 1:15) I drew them by
mercy. I was their guide in many a temptation; I poured forth on them
wonderful consolations. I gave them perseverance, and I crowned their
patience.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 3 Ch 58

<<>><<>><<>>
April 15th - Blessed Caesar de Bus
d. 1607

Blessed Caesar de Bus was a military priest teaching catechism to
ordinary people in neglected rural out-of-the-way places

b. 1544 Like so many of us, Caesar de Bus struggled with the decision
about what to do with his life. After completing his Jesuit education
he had difficulty settling between a military and a literary career.
He wrote some plays but ultimately settled for life in the army and at
court.

For a time life was going rather smoothly for the engaging, well-to-do
young Frenchman. He was confident he had made the right choice. That
was until he saw firsthand the realities of battle, including the St.
Bartholomew's Day massacres of French Protestants in 1572.

He fell seriously ill and found himself reviewing his priorities,
including his spiritual life. By the time he had recovered Caesar had
resolved to become a priest. Following his ordination in 1582, he
undertook special pastoral work: teaching the catechism to ordinary
people living in neglected, rural, out-of-the-way places. His efforts
were badly needed and well received.

Working with his cousin, Caesar developed a program of family
catechesis. The goal—to ward off heresy among the people—met the
approval of local bishops. Out of these efforts grew a new religious
congregation: the Fathers of Christian Doctrine.

One of Caesar's works, Instructions for the Family on the Four Parts
of the Roman Catechism, was published 60 years after his death. He was
beatified in 1975.

Comment: “Family catechesis” is a familiar term in parish life
today. Grounded in the certainty that children learn their faith first
from their parents, programs that deepen parental involvement in
religious education multiply everywhere. There were no such programs
in Caesar’s day until he saw a need and created them. Other needs
abound in our parishes, and it’s up to us to respond by finding ways
to fill them or by joining in already established efforts.

Blessed César de Bus, you who left us the admirable example of a
life completely dedicated to God, you who were on fire with the desire
to communicate the life of God to your brothers, intercede for us with
the Lord now, so that the same fire may consume us and the same
charity urge us.

Saint Quote:
I was so beside myself and fired with such a longing to do
something in imitation of him, that I would not give my eyes sleep or
my days rest until I had given some beginning to this resolution of
mine.
--Blessed Cesar de Bus, writing about Saint Charles Borromeo.

Bible Quote:
O the depth of the riches of the wisdom and of the knowledge of God!
How incomprehensible are his judgments, and how unsearchable his ways!
[Romans 11:33] DRV

<><><><>
Prayer For Harmony And Unity

Lord Jesus,
open our hearts and minds
to the guidance of your Spirit.
Help us to discern the Father's will
for your Church today.
Do not let our weaknesses or prejudices hinder your work,
and teach us to do all we can
to make the kingdom of the Father come on earth.
Bring us to the harmony and unity given by your Spirit,
and make us one in praising God with you.

Hear us, Lord,
for we are your beloved people.

All answer: Amen!