Tap into The Source of Comfort in affliction.

Weedy

Jan 31, 2023, 3:30:06 AM1/31/23
Tap into The Source of Comfort in affliction.

"If at times you are in such confusion of mind that you seem totally
incapable of calming yourself, have immediate recourse to prayer. And
persevere in it in imitation of Christ, Our Lord, Who prayed three
times in the garden to show mankind that only in conversation with God
can afflicted souls find haven and refuge."
--Dom Lorenzo Scupoli, priest and author of the book, 'The Spiritual Combat'

<<>><<>><<>>
31 January – Saint Aedan of Ferns

The First Bishop of the Diocese of Ferns, Ireland, Founded 30
Churches and several Monasteries, miracle-worker. Born in c 550 at
Inisbrefny, Templeport, County Cavan, Ireland and died on 31 January
632 at Ferns, Ireland of natural causes. Patronages – Ferns, Ireland,
Diocese of, Wexford, Ireland. Also known as – Aeddan Foeddog,
Mo-Aedh-og (= my dear Aedh), Aedh-og, Aidan, Aidus, Edan, Hugh,
Maedoc, Maidoc, Maodhóg, Moedhog, Mogue.

The father of the boy who was to become the first Bishop of the
Diocese of Ferns, was named Sétna (modern Irish Séanna); he was
married to Eithne who was descended from the King of Connacht. The
couple were childless for some time and prayed earnestly for a son.
For this intention they were generous in almsgiving and also
frequented a Monastery at Drumlane in the present County of Cavan.

Their prayers were answered and Eithne gave birth to a boy. The place
of his birth was a small island called Inis Bréachmhaí (Breaghwy) in a
lake in the present parish of Templeport in County Cavan. The year of
his birth has not been accurately determined but it was some time in
the middle of the sixth century.

Irish legend says that the “Bell of St Mogue” was given to the infant
on his birth by Saint Caillín. When a boat could not be found to take
the infant Aedan across the lake to where Caillín waited to Baptise
him, Aedan was floated to shore on a slab of stone. The font at St
Mogue’s in Bawnboy is said to be made from part of the stone.

We are told that, while still a small boy, he was surrendered by his
father as a hostage to the Ard-Rí, Ainmire, the High King of Ireland.
Ainmire was so impressed with Aedan that he told him he could stay or
go. Aedan said he would go but only if the other hostages were also
released, whereupon Ainmire let them all return home.

He studied at the great school of Saint Finnian at Clonard Abbey.
While at Clonard, Aedan made friends with St Molaise, who would later
found the Monastery of Devenish Island on the River Erne.

As he grew to manhood, his fame for sanctity spread and many young men
approached him, desiring to embrace the religious life under his
direction. Through a spirit of humility and wishing to avoid
distinction, Aedan left his native district and eventually crossed to
Wales where he placed himself under the direction of St David, David,
Bishop of Menevia. Welsh legends, meanwhile, simply place his
upbringing with David and go into great detail concerning attempts on
his life by David’s steward. Along with Saint Cadoc, he was said to
have exterminated an army of Saxons or Irishmen by rolling stones upon
their camp in a narrow valley. He was listed in the Welsh triads as
one of David’s three most faithful disciples.

Aedan returned to Ireland in 570, landing on the coast of Wexford with
hives of honey bees, which he had been told were scarce on the island.
He landed as some locals were plundering another group of strangers
and his quick response so impressed the local chieftain, who granted
him lands for religious communities. He then settled at Brentrocht in
Leinster. Aedan is said to have fasted for seven years, during this
period he ate only barley bread with water

Aedan built his first Church and established his first Monastery at
Ferns in 598 and it is accepted that he was Consecrated Bishop that
same year, so he was both Abbot of the Monastery and Bishop. He
founded thirty Churches and many Monastic settlements in the area;
becoming. in time, the Head Bishop of the area. Besides his first
establishment at Fern, he is especially associated with Templeshanbo.
As well as in the Diocese which he founded, he is also venerated in
the Diocese of Kilmore, particularly at Droim Leathan and at his
birthplace, Templeport and at Rossinver, County Leitrim.

Aedan was renowned for his generosity and kindness – on one occasion,
seeing them exhausted by their journey, he permitted beef to be given
to a visiting delegation of British Bishops during Lent and permitted
them to excuse themselves with the claim that the slaughtered cow was
merely “milk and vegetables in condensed form” whereas the whey and
biscuits, the other Monks consumed, had so many weevils as to occasion
“conscientious scruples.” On another, he was pushed into a lake to see
whether he would lose his temper; upon his meekly restoring himself,
his tormenter confessed their purpose to him.

Aedan died on 31 January 632 on Lough Melvin’s shore in County
Leitrim. His relics are claimed by St Edan’s in Ferns. His stone tomb
is inside the Cathedral, although his remains are in the original
Cathedral crypt below. The Breac Maodhóg (his Shrine) dates from the
9th century and is an example of an early medieval reliquary. It was
often used as a sacred object upon which to swear binding oaths. It
was acquired by the National Museum of Ireland in the 1890s.

Aedan’s life was replete with miracles. During his sojourn in Wales,
he broke a jug while fetching ale for his fellow Monks; making the
sign of the cross over the shards, however, it was repaired and he
continued on his errand. A yoke given to him by David’s steward
purposefully too small to fit the necks of his oxen ,miraculously
accommodated them and permitted him to bring the necessary materials
for the needs of the Monastery.

After his return to Ireland, a local begged him for some meal as he
was grinding flour and, after receiving some, disguised himself as a
blind man to come back and beg for more. Annoyed, the Saint
recognising him, cursed him that the generations of his descendants
would never lack for a blind member. Another time, wolves devoured a
calf at one of his Monasteries; its mother being inconsolable, Aedan
blessed the head of his cook and told him to offer it to the heifer,
which licked him and thenceforth “loved him like a calf.” When asked
by St Fintan to heal the Monks suffering under an epidemic, Aedan was
said to have indulged him: first by curing the Monks and then by
permitting the sickness to resume when Saint Fintan changed his mind,
considering the sickness to be good for their souls. Miraculous
blessings from Aidan were credited with various military victories.

https://anastpaul.com/2022/01/31/

Humility

“Humility is, in fact, truth...
What have we that is not a gift of God?
All that we have in the natural and supernatural order, we have
received from God: “What hast thou that thou hast not received? And if
thou hast receive it, why dost thou boast as if thou hast not received
it?” (1 Cor 4:7).
Our defects and sins are the only things which are really our own!
So we have a double motive for humility.
Everything good about us is a gift from God.
Only our sins belong to us!”
--Antonio Cardinal Bacci

Saint Quote:
"Give as if every pasture in the mountains of Ireland belonged to you."
--Saint Aidan.

Bible Quote:
And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders
and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and
worshipped God, Saying, Amen! Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and
thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for
ever and ever. Amen (Revelation 7:11,12 )

<><><><>
Be Thou my vision
by St Dallan Forghaill

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my wisdom and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling and I with Thee one.
Be Thou my battle-shield, sword for my fight,
Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight.
Thou my soul’s shelter, Thou my high tower.
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven my Treasure Thou art.
High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven’s joys, O bright heaven’s son,
Heart of my heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.