The Interior Life, Meditation (6)

Weedy

Feb 11, 2023, 4:26:44 AM2/11/23
The Interior Life, Meditation (6)

He who learns to live the interior life and to take little account of
outward things, does not seek special places or times to perform
devout exercises. A spiritual man quickly recollects himself because
he has never wasted his attention upon externals. No outside work, no
business that cannot wait stands in his way. He adjusts himself to
things as they happen. He whose disposition is well ordered cares
nothing about the strange, perverse behavior of others, for a man is
upset and distracted only in proportion as he engrosses himself in
externals.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Book 2, Chapter 1

<<>><<>><<>>
February 11th - St. Caedmon

Died: 11th February AD 680 at Whitby, Yorkshire North Riding

It was while St. Hilda ruled the monastery of Whitby as mother-Abbess,
that there was employed, on the estate, a simple cowherd, named
Caedmon. He was almost certainly of British origin, as his name is an
Anglicization of the Welsh, Cadfan. Though advanced in years, this man
had learned nothing of verse: "Wherefore," says Bede, "being sometimes
at feasts, when all agreed for glee's sake to sing in turn, he no
sooner saw the harp come towards him than he rose up from the board
and went homewards.

Once, when he had done this and gone from the feast to the stable,
where he had that night charge of the cattle, he laid himself down to
rest at the proper time and there appeared to him in his sleep one who
said, greeting him by name, "Caedmon, sing some song to me." "I cannot
sing," he answered, "and for that reason I left the feast and came
hither, because I could not sing." He who talked with him answered,
"However that may be, you shall sing to me."' "What shall I sing?"
rejoined Caedmon. "Sing the beginning of created things," said the
other. Having received this answer, the abbey's cowherd began to sing,
to the praise of God the Creator, verses which he had never heard
before, and afterwards awaking from his sleep, he remembered all that
he had sung in his dream and added more to the same effect in verse
worthy of the Deity.

In the morning, Caedmon came to the steward, his superior, and, having
acquainted him with the gift which he had received, was conducted to
the Abbess. Lady Hilda ordered him, in the presence of many learned
men, to tell his dream and repeat the verses, that they might all give
their judgment what it was and whence his verse proceeded. They all
concluded that heavenly grace had been conferred upon him by Our Lord.
They explained to him a passage in Holy Writ, ordering him, if he
could, to put the same into verse. Having undertaken it, he went away
and, returning the next morning, gave it to them, composed in the most
excellent verse. Whereupon the Abbess, understanding the Divine grace
in the man, instructed him to quit the secular habit and take upon him
the monastic life.

This being accordingly undertaken, Abbess Hilda associated Caedmon
with the rest of the brethren in her monastery and ordered that he
should be taught the whole series of sacred history. Thus he, keeping
in mind all he heard, converted the narrative into most harmonious
verse and sweetly repeating the same, made his masters in turn his
hearers. He sang the Creation of the World, the Origin of Man and all
the history of Genesis; the departure of the Children of Israel out of
Egypt and their entering into the Land of Promise, with many other
histories from Holy Writ; the Incarnation, Passion and Resurrection of
Our Lord and his Ascension into Heaven; the coming of the Holy Ghost
and the preaching of the Apostles; also the terror of a future
judgment, the horror of the pains of hell and the delights of heaven;
besides many more about the Divine benefits and judgments. By all of
these, he endeavoured to turn away men from the love of vice and to
excite in them the love of good actions. Thus, Caedmon passed his
days, dedicating his gift to the glory of God. "He never," says Bede,
"could compose any trivial or idle song, but, as he recognised that it
was God who had opened his lips, therefore, till his dying day, did
his mouth show forth his praise."

How long Caedmon lived after he had received his gift is not recorded;
but as he was already advanced in years, it was probably not long. His
last illness lasted only for a fortnight and was not deemed serious by
those about him. So slight it seemed that he was able to walk and talk
all the time. But, on the evening of 11th February AD 680, he begged
to be carried into the infirmary of the monastery, to rest there that
night. His request was granted and, far into the night, he sat talking
with those around him. Suddenly, he asked for the Eucharist. "What
need of the Eucharist?" said those around him, "you are not like to
die, since you talk so joyfully with us, as if you were in perfect
health." "However," said he, "bring me the Eucharist." Having received
the same into his hand, he asked whether they were all in charity with
him, and without any ill will or rancor They answered that they were
all in perfect charity and free from all anger and, in their turn,
asked him whether he was in the same mind towards them. He immediately
answered, "I am in charity, my children, with all God's servants."
Then, strengthening himself with the heavenly food, he prepared for
the entrance into another life and asked how near the hour was when
the brethren were to be wakened to sing the nocturnal praises of our
Lord? They answered, "It is not far off." Then he said, "It is well.
Let us wait that hour," and signing himself with the sign of the
Cross, he laid his head on the pillow and, falling into a gentle
slumber, ended his life in silence. And so it was that as he had
served God with a simple and pure mind, and tranquil devotion, so he
departed to his presence, leaving the World by a tranquil death. The
tongue, which had composed so many holy words in praise of the
Creator, in like manner uttered its last words whilst he was in the
act of signing himself with the Cross and recommending his spirit into
the hands of God.

Unfortunately, none of Caedmon's poems have survived for certain, save
the nine lines in Latin recorded by Bede and in the vernacular in an
early version of the Ecclesiastical History. He was buried at Whitby
Abbey and, in the years after its restoration when St. Hilda's body
had been removed to Glastonbury, his shrine became an important centre
of pilgrimage in the North.

Edited from ECS Gibson's "Northumbrian Saints" (1884).

Saint Quote:
What does it cost us to say: "My God help me! Have mercy on me!" Is
there anything
easier than this? And this little will suffice to save us if we be
diligent in doing it.
-- St. Alphonsus Liguori

Bible Quote:
I will give glory to Thee, O Lord, O King, and I will praise Thee, O
God my Saviour. I will give glory to Thy name: for Thou hast been a
helper and protector to me. (Ecclesiasticus 51:1-2)

<><><><>
Prayer to Saint Caedmon

We pray for your intercession on behalf of all who feel
unworthy. Satan tries to steal so many souls by making them
feel they have nothing to offer, or convincing them that God
could never really love them. Please help these souls to
realize that God loves us all and that He has given each of us
gifts that can only be discovered by turning to Him. We pray
that all His children may turn to Him today and receive the
gifts He longs to give. Amen.