On Contrition of Heart (I)

Weedy

May 6, 2023, 4:17:17 AM5/6/23
On Contrition of Heart (I)

If you wish to grow in holiness, you must live in the fear of God
(Prov.1:7;19:23).Do not seek too much freedom, but discipline all your
senses, and do not engage in foolish occupations; give yourself rather
to contrition of heart, and you will find true devotion. Contrition
reveals to us many good things to which dissipation rapidly blinds us.
It is a wonder that any man can ever feel perfectly content with this
present life, if he weighs and considers his state of banishment, and
the many perils which beset his soul.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 1, Ch 21

<<>><<>><<>>
6 May – Blessed Bartolomeo Pucci-Franceschi OFM

(Died 1330)
Priest and Friar of the Friars Minor after having been a husband and
father of 4. Confessor, Mystic and Miracle-worker. Born latter 13th
century in Montepulciano, Tuscany, Italy and died on 6 May 1330 in
Montepulciano, Tuscany, Italy of natural causes.

The Roman Martyrology reads today: “In Montepulciano in Tuscany,
blessed Bartolomeo Pucci-Franceschi, Priest of the Order of Minors,
who, having left his wife, children and all his possessions for the
love of God, became Christ’s poor man.”

Bartolomeo was born in Montepulciano in the second half of the 13th
century. From a noble family, he married the daughter of Captain
Tommaso del Pecora, Millia, with whom he had four children. In 1290,
when his children reached the age of majority, Bartholomew and his
wife, were able to embrace the religious vocation. Bartolomeo joined
the Order of Minors of the City Convent of St Francis.

From rich he became poor, for love of Christ and if many admired him
he had to bear the contempt of those who considered him a madman. The
humble Franciscan led the rest of his life between prayers, visions of
the Madonna and angels. Considered by his fellow citizens as a chosen
soul, he worked miracles while still alive.

Fra Bartolomeo died very old, on 6 May 1330 in Montepulciano and
was buried in the Church of the Convent. The relics were then
transferred, in 1930, to the Church of St Augustine. On 24 June 1880,
Pope Leo XIII confirmed his cult from immemorial times.

The example of Blessed Bartholomew is singular, in fact he reconciled,
during his life, the different vocations of man: as a spouse, as a
parent and as a religious consecrated to God.

https://anastpaul.com/2022/05/06/

The Virginal Purity of Mary

“O Mary, my Heavenly Mother,
I am so weak, yet the danger in which I find myself, is so great.
Turn your eyes of mercy upon me and come to my assistance.
Most of all, do not allow the demon of impurity to seduce my soul.
Grant that I may never yield to the temptations of the flesh.
Protect for me, the flower of my chastity, until I can deliver it,
unsullied, into the hands of Jesus in Heaven.
Amen.”
by Antonio Cardinal Bacci

PART ONE:
https://anastpaul.com/2020/05/06/thought-for-the-day-6-may-the-virginal-purity-of-mary
PART TWO:
https://anastpaul.com/2021/05/06/thought-for-the-day-6-may-the-virginal-purity-of-mary-2/

Bible Quote:
For neither did his brethren believe in him.
[6] Then Jesus said to them: My time is not yet come; but your time is
always ready. [7] The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth: because
I give testimony of it, that the works thereof are evil. [John 7:5-7]
DRV

<><><><>
In honour of the great Apostle of love, we give the following
Sequence, composed by Adam of Saint Victor.

Sequence

The happy realm of grace, (where the King of glory is seen by the
soul's unfettered ken,) gives union with his God, and equality with
Angels, to John, whose revelations have made known to men the
mysteries of heaven.

He drank of the living waters that spring up to life eternal, when he
leaned on his Lord's breast. The wonderful miracles he wrought have
made him shine as a bright light in the Church. He quenched the heat
of the boiling oil.

Men know that the torments for him are cruel beyond measure; yet do
they wonder within themselves, how a man can be a Martyr, and feel no
pain?

O Martyr, O Virgin, O guardian of the Virgin by whom the world
received Him Who is its glory! pray for us to this Jesus, from Whom,
and in Whom, and by Whom, are all things.

O thou that wast loved above the rest!--by thine intercession and
prayers, render propitious unto us the Jesus, by Whom thou wast loved.

Lead us to the Fountain, thou that art a stream!, Lead us to the
Mountain, thou that art a hill! O thou, whom grace made so wholly
pure, pray for us that we may see the Beloved. Amen.