God's Graciousness to Those who Love Him [1]

Rich

Jan 29, 2023, 3:07:41 AM1/29/23
God's Graciousness to Those who Love Him [1]

THE DISCIPLE.
Oh, my God and my All! (1 Cor.15:28; John 20:28) What more can I
possess? What greater joy can I desire? Word of sweetness and delight
to all who love the Word better than the world and its treasures? My
God and my All! To the wise, these words suffice and he who loves Thee
will delight to repeat them again and again. When Thou are present,
all is joy; when Thou are absent, all is gloom. Thou bringest rest to
the heart, true peace and true gladness. You cause us to think well of
all, and to praise Thee in all, for nothing can give us lasting joy
without Thee.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 3, Ch 34

<<>><<>><<>>
29 January – Saint Sulpicius I

(Died 591)
Bishop of Bourges. Often called Sulpitius Severus, the Severe,
therefore, he is wrongly identified with St Sulpicius Severus(c 363–c
425), the historian of Saint Martin of Tours and with St Sulpicius II
(Died 647), remembered on 17 January and also a Bishop of the Diocese
of Bourges – https://anastpaul.com/2021/01/17/saint-of-the-day-17-january-saint-sulpicius-of-bourges-died-c-647/.

St Sulpicius was raised to the See of Bourges in 584.

He was, says St Gregory of Tours, a man of high birth, one of the
first senators of Gaul, of great oratorical talent and expert in the
art of poetical rhythms.

The See of Bourges having become vacant with the death of Bishop St
Remigius, several candidates offered gifts to King Gontran to secure
the assistance of his favour. But the latter rejected all these
simoniacal gifts, to favour the election of Sulpitius.

He was elected, given Holy orders and consecrated Bishop. Shortly
afterwards, he held a Council in Auvergne, to adjust the dispute which
had arisen between two of his suffragans, Innocentius, Bishop of Rodez
and Ursicinus, Bishop of Cahors, with regard to Parishes for which
they contended. The Council decided that the Bishop of Cahors should
retain the contested Parishes, which the Bishop of Rodez had not
proved that he or his predecessors had long possessed.

Sulpitius assisted at a Council of Mâcon in 585.
He died in 591, his feast being inserted in the Roman Martyrology on 29 January.

https://anastpaul.com/2021/01/29/

Christ’s Work in Us

“What kind of life has Jesus in my soul?
If I am in the state of grace, He lives in my soul but, how does He live?
In some, those of us who are tepid, worldly and dissipated, Jesus is
hidden and languid.
In those who are lazy, mediocre and indifferent, He seems to sleep, as
He slept in the boat during the storm on the lake of Galilee.
In those souls which have given in to temptation and surrendered
themselves to sin, He is crucified and dying.
Finally, there are souls in which He reigns supreme and which are
resplendent with the magnificent of His gifts and graces.
If we find ourselves in the last category, let us humbly thank God.
But, if we are forced to count ourselves among the tepid or the lazy
or the sinful, let us rouse ourselves at once and pray fervently to
God, to help us to save our souls!”
by Antonio Cardinal Bacci

Part One here:
https://anastpaul.com/2020/12/11/thought-for-the-day-11-december-christs-work-in-us/

“For God, …does not work in those
who refuse to place all their confidence
and hope in Him alone.
But He does impart
the fullness of His love
upon those who possess
a deep faith and hope;
for them He does great things.”
--St Jerome Emiliani (1486-1537)

<><><><>
O Lord and Lover of Men
By St John Chrysostom (347-407)
Father and Doctor of the Church

O Lord and Lover of men,
make shine in our hearts
the pure Light of Thy Divine Knowledge
and open the eyes of our mind
to the understanding of Thy Gospel teaching.
Instill in us the fear
of Thy Blessed Commandments
that trampling upon all carnal desires,
we may enter upon a spiritual life,
willing and doing all that is Thy Good Pleasure.
For Thou art the Light of our souls
and of our bodies, Christ O God
and we give glory to Thee
together with Thine Eternal Father
and Thine All-holy, Good and Life-giving Spirit,
now and forever, world without end.
Amen.