Love -- The Distinguishing Sign

Weedy

Mar 6, 2022, 2:57:10 AM3/6/22
Love -- The Distinguishing Sign

Love is the only sign that distinguishes the children of God from
the children of the devil. To prove this, let them all sign themselves
with the cross of Christ. Let them all respond: Amen. Let all sing:
Alleluia. Let all build the walls of churches.
There is still no way of discerning the children of God from the
children of the devil except by love!"
--St. Augustine--Sermon on 1 John 5, 7

Prayer: Come to my aid, O God, the one eternal, true reality! In you
there is no strife, no disorder, no change, no need, no death, but
supreme harmony, supreme clarity, supreme permanence, supreme life.
--St. Augustine--Soliloquies 1, 1

<<>><<>><<>>
6 March – Blessed Sylvester of Assisi OFM

(Died 1240)
Priest, Franciscan Friar. One of the first 4 followers of St Francis
of Assisi and was the first Priest in the Franciscan Order.

Sylvester was a member of one of the noblest and wealthiest families
of the City of Assisi, the Uncle of St Clare Of Assisi.

When St Francis embarked on his campaign to “rebuild My church”
Sylvester sold Francis stones which were to be used to rebuild the
little Church of St Damiano. When, a short while later, he saw Francis
and Blessed Bernard of Quintavalle distributing Bernard’s wealth to
the poor, Sylvester complained that he had been poorly paid for the
stones and asked for more money.

Though Francis obliged, the handful of money he gave Sylvester later
caused him to regret this spirit of greed he found in himself, his
conscience rebuked him and he was filled with guilt. He sold all of
his goods and gave the money to the poor and began a life of penance.
Sylvester was Ordained a Priest and became a Canon of the Cathedral of
San Rufino in Assisi.

Thereafter, he joined St Francis. Sylvester became a holy and
prayerful man and a favourite of Francis. He was known in the Order
for his strict observance of the life of poverty and contemplation.
Together with his cousin, Clare, he later prayed for enlightenment to
discern the will of God for Francis, when Francis sought advice on how
he should best serve God. Should he go out to preach rather than by
devoting himself solely to prayer?

Sylvester often accompanied Francis during his preaching tours. Once,
in the city of Arezzo, it was claimed by the residents, that
Sylvester’s preaching and prayers brought peace to the City, which was
falling prey to hatred and violence amongst its citizens. In another
City where civil war was raging, Sylvester was commanded by Francis to
drive the devils out. At the City gate Sylvester cried out: “In the
name of almighty God and by virtue of the command of His servant
Francis, depart from here, all you evil spirits.” The devils departed
and peace returned to the City.
St Bonaventure, in a special way, mentions the visions which Sylvester
had concerning Francis.

Sylvester died in Assisi in 1240, surviving Francis by 14 year. He is
one of Francis’ four original companions who are buried near his tomb
in the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi.

https://anastpaul.com/2021/03/06/

‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ Luke 18:13

“You do not know
when your last day may come.
You are an ingrate!
Why not use the day, today,
that God has given you
to repent?”

“He who calls us, came here below,
to give us the means of getting there.
He chose the wood
that would enable us to cross the sea –
indeed, no-one can cross the ocean of this world,
who is not borne by the Cross of Christ.
Even the blind can cling to this Cross.
If you can’t see where you are going very well,
don’t let go of it, it will guide you by itself. ”
--St Augustine (354-430)

Saint Quote:
Naturally we all have an inclination to command, and a great aversion
to obey; and yet it is certain that it is more for our good to obey
than to command; hence perfect souls have always had a great affection
for obedience, and have found all their joy and comfort in it.
--Saint Francis of Sales, Doctor of the Church

Bible Quote:
And Simon Peter answered him: Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the
words of eternal life. (John 6:69)

<><><><>
A Father's Prayer For Loved Ones.

Kind Father, I thank You for my home where loved ones dwell
and to which my fondest memories now turn.
I praise You for the family love and peace and cheer
which follow me and comfort me in strange and distant places.
I am grateful for all things we share in common,
the worthy lessons we learn,
the hardships and griefs we sometimes bear,
the tasks and pleasures which bind us closer to each other,
and the abiding affection and heartfelt prayers
which still keep our spirits one in You.
Shelter my home. O God,
and all my dear ones there.
Make me strong, unselfish,
and brave to defend and protect them.
Send down Your peace to every family on earth
and grant an abundance of grace to them
so that in doing Your will
they may merit the joys of eternal salvation. Amen.