On Ardent Desire for the Body of Christ [II]

Weedy

May 4, 2022, 3:19:32 AM5/4/22
On Ardent Desire for the Body of Christ [II]

O, how true was their burning faith -- in itself a true and evident
token of Your divine Presence! For they truly know their Lord in the
Breaking of Bread, whose hearts burn so ardently when Jesus walks with
them. (Luke 24:32) Alas, such devotion and affection, such unfeigned
love and fervour is seldom felt by me. 0 good and kind Jesus, have
mercy on me and grant me Your poor mendicant at least sometimes to
feel a measure of this heartfelt desire of Your love in sacred
Communion, that my faith may be strengthened, that my hope in Your
goodness may be fostered and that love once perfectly kindled, having
tasted the Bread of Heaven, may never fail. Your mercy, 0 Lord, is
boundless enough to grant me even this favour from which I long and
when it shall please You, I pray You of Your grace and generosity to
visit me with the spirit of fervour. For though I do not burn with so
ardent a desire as those who are so supremely devoted to You, yet by
Your grace I do long to have that great and burning desire and I beg
and pray that I may have part with all Your true lovers and be
numbered in their holy company.
--Thomas à Kempis--Imitation of Christ Book 4 Ch. 14

<<>><<>><<>>
MAY 4 – BL CHARLES MAHONEY, OFM
(1640-1679), PRIEST & MARTYR

This Irish Franciscan was another victim of the evil Titus Oates.

Charles Mahoney (alias Meehan) was born in Ireland around 1639/40. He
and his three brothers, James, Terence and Christopher, were educated
by their uncle, Fr Bonaventure OSF, who was guardian of St Anthony’s
College in Louvain. Three of the boys, Charles, Terrence and James,
followed in their uncle’s footsteps and became priests.

In 1674, several years after his ordination, Charles was sent to
Germany to study theology. He remained there for two years then spent
another two years in Rome, preaching and teaching at the Irish
Franciscan College of St Isadore. Then, in 1678, Charles was sent back
to Ireland. Charles was aboard a ship heading for home when disaster
struck. In a raging storm his ship was wrecked off the coast of Wales.
With some of his belongings, he managed to swim ashore near Milford
Haven in West Wales.

The plucky Franciscan decided to travel North, on foot, in the hope of
finding a ship bound for Ireland. Unfortunately, Charles didn’t get
very far. In June 1678 he was arrested not far from Denbigh and
imprisoned in Denbigh Gaol. In the spring of 1679, Charles Mahoney was
tried, found guilty of being a Catholic priest, which was considered
treason, and sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered, the usual
punishment for treason.

On 12th August 1679, Fr Charles Mahoney was taken from his prison,
tied to a horse-drawn hurdle and dragged to a spot outside the town.
Here the awful sentence was carried out.

The months of July and August 1679 were busy ones for the
anti-Catholic authorities. Titus Oates and his fellow perjurers must
have been smugly satisfied too. Executions of Catholic priests were
being carried out in various parts of England and Wales. In Wales, Fr
Philip Evans SJ and a secular priest, Fr John Lloyd, were barbarously
executed in Cardiff on 22nd July. Just over the border, in Hereford,
eighty year old Fr John Kemble, another secular priest, met his fate
on 22nd August. Fr Kemble, a cousin of St David Lewis, had spent 54
years ministering to the Catholics of Herefordshire and Monmouth. On
that same day Fr John Wall, a Franciscan, was executed at Red Hill,
Worcester. Fr Wall, who ministered mainly in the Worcester area, was a
classmate and friend of our Last Welsh Martyr, St David Lewis. Fr
David Lewis SJ followed his friends and fellow priests to martyrdom on
27th August at Usk. All five were canonised in 1970 when Pope Paul VI
canonised the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales.

The British Museum is in possession of a one page document entitled
“The Last Speeches of Three Priests that were executed for Religion,
Anno Domini 1679”. The document reads; “An Account of the words spoken
by Mr Charles Mahony, an Irish priest of the holy Order of St Francis,
who was executed in his Habit at Ruthin in North Wales, August 12,
1679.

‘Now God Almighty is pleased I should suffer Martyrdom, His Holy Name
be praised, since I dye for my religion. But you have no right to put
me to death in this country, though I confessed myself to be a priest,
for you seized me as I was going to my native country, Ireland, being
driven at Sea on this coast, for I never used my Function in England
before I was taken, however, God forgive you, as I do and shall always
pray for you, especially for those that were so good to me in my
distress. I pray God bless our King, and defend him from his enemies,
and convert him to the Holy Catholic Faith. Amen.’ His age was under
forty. He was tryed and condemned at Denby confessing himself to be a
priest.”

by Matthew

Saint Quote:
Our Savior says, if you have not received the graces that you desire,
do not complain to me, but blame yourself, because you have neglected
to seek them from me.
-- St. Alphonsus Liguori

Bible Quote:
When you have done everything that was commanded you, say, "We are
unprofitable servants." (Luke 17:10)

<><><><>
Hymn:
Aeterna Christi munera

The eternal gifts of Christ the King,
The Apostles' glory, let us sing;
And all with hearts of gladness raise
Due hymns of thankful love and praise.

For they the Church's princes are,
Triumphant leaders in the war,
The heavenly King's own warrior band,
True lights to lighten every land.

Theirs was the steadfast faith of Saints,
The hope that never yields nor faints,
The love of Christ in perfect flow,
That lay the prince of this world low.

In them the Father's glory shone,