How Truth Instructs us in Silence: (III)

Weedy

Mar 3, 2022, 2:56:26 AM3/3/22
How Truth Instructs us in Silence: (III)

Therefore, let not Moses speak to me, but You, O Lord my God, the
Everlasting Truth, lest I die and bear no fruit if I am but warned in
word, and not kindled at heart; lest it turn to my condemnation, if I
hear Your word, but do no obey it; know it, but do not love it;
believe it, but do not keep it. Therefore, Speak, Lord, for Your
servant is listening. `You have the words of eternal life.'(John 6:68)
Speak to me, Lord, and comfort my soul: order my life to Your praise,
glory, and eternal honour.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 3, Ch 2

<<>><<>><<>>
3 March – Blessed Pietro de Geremia OP
Also known as
Peter Geremia

Memorials
3 March
10 March on some calendars
25 October on some calendars

(1381-1452)
Dominican Priest and Friar, renowned and brilliant Preacher,
miracle-worker. In addition to his many miracles and conversions of
sinners, he founded the University of Catania and helped establish
several Dominican Monasteries. Born in 1381 at Palermo, Sicily and
died on 3 March 1452 in the Convent of Santa Zita, Palermo, Sicily of
natural causes. He is also known as Peter Geremia. Patronages –
Palermo, Preachers.

He studied at the Bologna college and was perceived to be an excellent
law student and his own pride led him to believe this.

One night in 1422 as he meditated on his vain success and what his
future would bring, a recently deceased relative knocked on his third
floor window. Pietro sat upright and asked who was there. The relative
told him that his constant seeking after worldly glory had caused him
to be eternally lost. He warned Pietro not to repeat the fatal errors
of sin and pride and thus lose his eternal salvation!

The shaken Geremia purchased an iron chain to wear in mortification
and began to seriously pray for guidance in his vocation. He received
a sign that he was to enter the Order of Preachers.
His enraged father came to Bologna to stop him but saw how changed
Pietro was and the peace and happiness which he emanated. He began his
novitiate in Fiesole and was Ordained to the Priesthood in 1424. He
made his vows in 1423 and returned to Palermo in 1433, where his
superiors appointed him Prior at the Convent of Santa Cita in Palermo,
Sicily.

His fame as a Preacher caught the attention of St Vincent Ferrer who
once visited him and the two discussed spiritual matters at great
lengths. Pietro was seen as one of the finest Preachers on the island
and preached in the open often because the Churches never could hold
the vast number of people who flocked to hear him.

On one particular occasion there was no food for the people and he
asked a fisherman for a donation but the fisherman refused him in a
rude manner. So he got into a boat and rowed out to sea and made a
sign to the fish who broke the nets in the water and followed him back
to the shore. The fisherman apologised and so he made another sign to
the fish who returned to the nets in the sea. In 1444 he was preaching
on repentance in Catania, when Mount Etna erupted. The people begged
him to save them and he went to the Saint Agatha Shrine and removed
the Saint’s veil. He held the veil towards the flow of lava heading
towards the town and the eruption and lava flow ceased.

These and countless other miracles he performed which caused him to be
revered as a saint. He raised the dead to life, healed the crippled
and the blind and brought obstinate sinners to the feet of God.

Pope Eugene IV (1431-47) had a great appreciation for his skills and
during the Council of Florence (1431-45), which briefly reconciled the
Orthodox and Catholic Churches, the Pontiff relied on Pietro to help
mediate between the two sides. He died on 3 March 1452 in the Santa
Zita Convent in Palermo and was Beatified on 12 May 1784 by Pope Pius
VI.

https://anastpaul.com/2021/03/03/

Steadfastness in Suffering

“When we feel depressed or when we are tempted to strike out angrily
against human injustice and misunderstanding, there are two
considerations which should help us to be patient.
1. The first, is the reflection, that everything comes to us from
God, or is at least permitted by Him.
Why should we rebel against the will of God?
Jesus was innocence itself yet He willed to suffer for love of us.
Are we unwilling to suffer for love of Him?
2. The second, is the realisation, that we are sinners who have
offended God many times and deserve to be punished.
It is necessary to accept patiently, all the sufferings which God
sends us in expiation of our sins.
“We are receiving what our deeds deserved” (Lk 23:41).
Above all, we ought to resolve, never to give way to anger in word or
deed when we are offended.
On these occasions, we should wait until we have calmed down and have
asked God for peace of mind.
Before we do anything, we need time for reflection and prayer.
If we act in this way, we shall not have to be sorry afterwards.
Patience can help us to achieve anything and will eventually help us
to gain Heaven.”
--Antonio Cardinal Bacci

Saint Quote:
I am the Mother of all the Poor Souls, for my prayers serve to
mitigate their sufferings every single hour that they remain there
(purgatory).
--Our Blessed Lady to Saint Bridget

Bible Quotes:
"The life of the body is a tranquil heart, but envy is a cancer in the
bones." Proverbs 14:30

"Cruel is wrath, overwhelming is anger; but jealousy, who can
withstand that? Proverbs 27:4

<><><><>
Prayer of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus to the Holy Face

O Jesus, who in Thy bitter Passion didst become "the most abject of
men, a man of sorrows", I venerate Thy Sacred Face whereon there once
did shine the beauty and sweetness of the Godhead; but now it has
become for me as if it were the face of a leper! Nevertheless, under
those disfigured features, I recognize Thy infinite Love and I am
consumed with the desire to love Thee and make Thee loved by all men.

The tears which well up abundantly in Thy sacred eyes appear to me as
so many precious pearls that I love to gather up, in order to purchase
the souls of poor sinners by means of their infinite value.

O Jesus, whose adorable face ravishes my heart, I implore Thee to fix
deep within me Thy divine image and to set me on fire with Thy Love,
that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy
glorious Face in Heaven.
Amen.