Friends?

HDRainer

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

I am just starting to explore my Teutonic religious heritage, and
have checked some of the websites dealing with Asatru, as well as this
newsgroup, and I have one or two concerns:
1. How authentic is Asatru--yes it uses the proper names for the Old
Gods, but is it just a thin veneer overlaying New Age theosophy? I have
nothing against the New Age culture, but I was hoping for something with a
true historic foundation and some effort at recreating authentic teutonic
religion;
2. Do any of the Asatru Kindred welcome gays, or are comprised of gay
members? Various groups say they will not discriminate on a preferential
basis, but there was a long discussion concerning gays in Asatru when I
first saw this newsgroup, and it did not seem overly welcoming--after all,
there are gay Teutonic pagans too.

Vithar Herren

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

HDRainer wrote:

> I am just starting to explore my Teutonic religious heritage, and
> have checked some of the websites dealing with Asatru, as well as this
> newsgroup, and I have one or two concerns:
> 1. How authentic is Asatru--yes it uses the proper names for the Old
> Gods, but is it just a thin veneer overlaying New Age theosophy? I have
> nothing against the New Age culture, but I was hoping for something with a
> true historic foundation and some effort at recreating authentic teutonic
> religion;

Like any thing, any group. It depends a great deal on the individuals
involved as to whether or not it is a veneer masking new age beliefs, or
wiccan beliefs, or a sincere attempt at staying as true as we can to an
authentic Asatrú religion/tradition. If you find a group which is led
by someone who is serious, then you will probably find what you're
looking for. In my experience there are lots of groups out there in
which the most charismatic person involved (who has become their
leader/godhi) is interested in Asatrú, and say.... American Indian
Shamanism. So He combines the two in interesting ways. And while
that's cool if that floats his boat -it's certainly not what I'm
interested in, nor you from the sound of it. Shop around, and don't
settle for a group that isn't as sincere as what you're looking for.

> 2. Do any of the Asatru Kindred welcome gays, or are comprised of gay
> members? Various groups say they will not discriminate on a preferential
> basis, but there was a long discussion concerning gays in Asatru when I
> first saw this newsgroup, and it did not seem overly welcoming--after all,
> there are gay Teutonic pagans too.

Again. See my above response. It depends on the group. Some welcome
gays easily and there are no problems. Like any organization, others
are going to say they welcome gays, but there will be an undercurrent of
antagonism; still others will come right out and say that they believe
homosexuality to be a perversion, and do not welcome perversions into
their Kin(group). And if you find a particularly large group, with many
members, then you're going to find all of these situations within the
group. People will all have different opinions of these things,
regardless of whatever the group charter might state. But, it can't
hurt to read the group charter, and ask these questions of the leader or
leaders to get an overall feel for the character of the group.

Good Luck! And if you find one that you're really happy with, please
let me know for future reference!

Wassail!

Vithar

RMcGuire

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

> 1. How authentic is Asatru--yes it uses the proper names for the Old
> Gods, but is it just a thin veneer overlaying New Age theosophy? I have
> nothing against the New Age culture, but I was hoping for something with a
> true historic foundation and some effort at recreating authentic teutonic
> religion;

Well most groups I would say avoid a fluffbunny tree hugging
reincarnation theosophy background. Most are very scholarly in their
approach(like the Irminsul AEttir and Ring of Troth) and will usually
not include it if it can't be supported with scholarly fact.

> 2. Do any of the Asatru Kindred welcome gays, or are comprised of gay
> members? Various groups say they will not discriminate on a preferential
> basis, but there was a long discussion concerning gays in Asatru when I
> first saw this newsgroup, and it did not seem overly welcoming--after all,
> there are gay Teutonic pagans too.

Yes, some do some don't. It is a direct reflection of society in
general. I would say most would be willing(some grudgingly). You just
need to look into it. You may hear the occasional 'Argir' or 'Ergi' to
which your response should be a swift kick to the balls to the offending
party :) Just be patient with people. They can be accepting on paper,
but in person it is different, and takes getting used to.