Angels--Their Further Employment

Weedy

Jul 30, 2023, 3:36:22 AM7/30/23
Angels--Their Further Employment

Next to the praises of the Infinite God, it is the chief delight of
the Angels to adore the Lamb that was slain. "To Him that sitteth upon
the Throne and to the Lamb, benediction and glory, honor and power,
for ever and ever." They are never tired of making Heaven resound with
their songs of gratitude. So too on earth it is the joy of all the
Saints to adore the unspeakable love of the Lamb of God. Is this my
joy? Can I say, "Lord', Thou knowest all things. Thou knowest that I
love Thee with my whole heart?"

It is also the delight of all the Holy Angels to sing the praises of
the Mother of God. Even the Seraphim have not a glory which in any way
approaches hers. After her Incarnate Son, she is the splendor of the
Heavenly Court, and the Angels behold her in all her glory, and are
ravished at the sight. Is she not the Mother of their King and God? If
I desire to behold her with delight in Heaven, I must love and serve
her now.

The Holy Angels also rejoice in the companionship of the Saints of
God. They welcome them into the celestial kingdom. Their delight is to
contemplate the glory and the triumph of those who have fought and
conquered on earth, of the martyrs and confessors, of all who have
been redeemed with the Precious Blood of Christ. Each one who enters
the celestial paradise adds to the joy of all Heaven and fills up one
of the places left empty by the fall of the rebel Angels. Do I rejoice
in this happiness of others?

by the Rev. R.F. Clarke, S.J.

<<>><<>><<>>
July 30th - St. Julitta, Martyr

THE EMPEROR Diocletian, by the first edicts which he issued out
against the Christians in 303, declared them infamous, and debarred
from all protection of the laws, and from all the privileges of
citizens. By thus putting arms into the hands of every one against
them, the tyrant hoped to see their very name extinguished; but he was
not sensible that this divine religion then triumphs when its
professors seem to be overcome by death, and that by it human weakness
is made victorious over the power of the world and hell. Of this St.
Julitta is an instance. She was a rich lady of Cæsarea, in Cappadocia,
and was possessed of many farms, cattle, goods, and slaves.

A powerful man of the town, by open violence, got possession of a
considerable part of her estate; and when he could not otherwise
maintain his suit before the praetor, charged her with being a
Christian. The judge caused fire and incense to be immediately brought
into the court, and commanded her to offer sacrifice to the idols; but
she courageously made him this answer: “May my estates perish, or be
disposed of to strangers; may I also lose my life, and may this my
body be cut in pieces, rather than that by the least impious word I
should offend God who made me. If you take from me a little portion of
this earth, I shall gain heaven for it.” The judge was extremely
exasperated at the undaunted resolution with which she spoke, and
without more ado confirmed to the usurper the estates to which he
unjustly laid claim, and condemned the servant of Christ to the
flames. Upon hearing this sentence, a kind of heavenly joy and most
amiable cheerfulness flushed her countenance, which she could not
refrain from expressing by continual thanksgiving to God to her last
breath. She exhorted the Christians in the most moving manner to
constancy and fervour. The Pagans were amazed to see a lady of her
rank, age, and fortune, possessed of all the advantages necessary to
please the world, and yet in a condition to enjoy all that is in it
most flattering, to contemn all this, and life itself, with such an
heroic constancy.

When all things were ready for the execution, Julitta laid herself
cheerfully upon the pile, and there expired, being, as it seems,
stifled by the smoke; for the flame rising in an arched vault round
her body, did not touch it, and the Christians took it up entire. It
was afterwards interred in the porch of the principal church in the
city; and St. Basil, speaking of this treasure about the year 375,
wrote as follows: “It enriches with blessings both the place and those
who come to it.” He assures us that “the earth which received the body
of this blessed woman sent forth a spring of most pleasant water,
whereas all the neighbouring waters are brackish and salt. This water
preserves health, and relieves the sick.” Both the Greeks and Latins
honour St. Julitta on this day.

See St. Basil’s homily on St. Julitta, t. 2, p. 33, hom. 5; also in
Ruinart’s collection, p. 515.

Bible Quote
The men of Ninive shall rise in judgment with this generation, and
shall condemn it: because they did penance at the preaching of Jonas.
And behold a greater than Jonas here. (Matthew 12:41) DRB

<><><><>
LOVE
O Lord, what can I write of love,
I know not what to say