Need A.A. slogans

1 view

ml

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

I've been to hundreds of A.A. meetings, and heard - it seems - millions of
slogans (Let go, let God; Easy does it; Meeting makers make it; It works if
you work it; etc.). I'd like to compose a list. Any submissions would be
appreciated.
Thanks.

EzeeDuzit

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

My favorite is "There is no problem so bad, that alcohol can't make it worse."
Easy Does IT,
Frank C.

EzeeDuzit

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Another favorite of mine for atheists and agnostics is
"GOD means Good Orderly Direction"

jackh

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

ml <ml...@enter.net> wrote in article <3509f...@news3.enter.net>...
Hi,
Under cover of darkness, cloaked in secrecy, ever so quietly, I will
divulge a few of these to you. I am of course putting my very being in
jepordy by admitting that I remembered these and havn't erased them from my
mind as AA drival as some in this ng would have it.
I happen to believe that every one of these little sayings were not just
flipently invented to take up space, but evolved through blood sweat and
tears, throught rigorous honesty, one day at a time, untill a small
statement could be made that would describe an emotion, event, or situation
in a way to best address it, accept it, leave it or lay claim to it.
I find it amusing the lengths some people will go to, to say the same thing
as one of the sayings, only in a different way *Just to avoid using the
saying*. I guess they consider themselves above such nonsense?
Ah hell, I forget what you asked for.....or did I chicken out. I'm sure
someone will be brave enough to post you some, I just can't seem to muster
the courage, maybe tomorrow, or maybe someone else will do it. besides I'm
pretty busy right now. This is not an excuse mind you.
--
Jack H Remove DUST from address before replying.

"Impression without Expression leaves Depression"
( I don't care who said it, I like it.)

Kathy

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

ml wrote in message <3509f...@news3.enter.net>...

>I've been to hundreds of A.A. meetings, and heard - it seems - millions of
>slogans (Let go, let God; Easy does it; Meeting makers make it; It works if
>you work it; etc.). I'd like to compose a list. Any submissions would be
>appreciated.
>Thanks.

"If you like everyone you meet in Alcoholics Anonymous, you haven't been to
enough meetings."

Kathy K.

Jchabi

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

"Don't drink and you won't get drunk."

Gëoff

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

ml wrote in message <3509f...@news3.enter.net>...
>I've been to hundreds of A.A. meetings, and heard - it seems - millions of
>slogans (Let go, let God; Easy does it; Meeting makers make it; It works if
>you work it; etc.). I'd like to compose a list. Any submissions would be
>appreciated.
>Thanks.

Aren't you the one who asks this question this week and then next week you'll be
posting "Myths of AA slogans" or some darn fool thing?
----

Geøff Z.

From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.
remove the stars from my i to reply

knifef...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

*LOL*

Good post Jack H! I give a 10 for concept, a 10 for presentation,
but, alas, a 5 for content . (Umm, poor marks for not delivering your
favorite saying . . . <g>)

shoot! I need sleep! I can't think of the ones that helped me the most!!

something about when complaining about prayers not being answered that
the answer is NO! (I prayed for some aweful stuff when I was newly sober.

Stuff like, God, make my wife do right :) *HAHAHAHAHHHA*

/s Knife

Sandy G.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

"It's a process, not an event"

"Dealing with life on life's terms"

"Give time time"

Sandy

"When God closes one door, another always opens...but sometimes it's
HELL in the hallway!"

Bill

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

In article <6efn4l$jo7$2...@excalibur.flash.net>, "Gëoff" <z*i*em...@flash.net> wrote:

> ml wrote in message <3509f...@news3.enter.net>...
> >I've been to hundreds of A.A. meetings, and heard - it seems - millions of
> >slogans (Let go, let God; Easy does it; Meeting makers make it; It works if
> >you work it; etc.). I'd like to compose a list. Any submissions would be
> >appreciated.
> >Thanks.
> >

> Aren't you the one who asks this question this week and then next week you'll be

Since i'm doing 'personal favorites' tonite, I'll submit:

"......Eat your damn spinach"
(Bill's Mom ca. 1950's)

Bill
7/9/79

homerr

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

>Sandy G. wrote in message <6efpmt$dla$1...@newsd-112.bryant.webtv.net>...

>"It's a process, not an event"
>
>"Dealing with life on life's terms"
>
>"Give time time"

Stick with the winners. (RR)
Don't take yourself too damn seriously. (RR)
Remember, there is a God and you're not it. (RR)
You can't bullsihit a bullshitter. (RR)
If you drank every day, do a meeting every day.

The program is guaranteed - if after 90 days you're not satisfied, we'll
cheerfully refund your misery.

You can't, I can't, we can. (RR)
H.A.L.T. Don't get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired.
One's too many, a thousands not enough.
90 in 90

Yesterdays a cancelled check, tomorrows a promissary note.. today is cash in
hand - spend it wisely.

I am responsible.
Serenity Now!!! (no, just kidding)
Rejoining the human race.
Fake it till you make it.
Your best effort got you here. (RR)
It's the engine that kills you, not the caboose.

24 hours in a day - 24 beers in a case - coincidence? (just can't keep
serious)

If you keep doin' what you've been doin', you're gonna keep gettin' what
you've been gettin'.

(RR) compliments of the late, great Roy R., Sponsor Emeritus.

homerr - Tri- Valley, CA - 10.03.83
<jazz...@spry2net.com> [remove 1-2 to reply]

If you think the steps are hard, try shinnying up a rope.

Kim B.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Or my Dad's:

" Stay away from those Irish boys - they're nothing but trouble..."

to which I replied (in oh so many ways....):

"....Dad, this is Joey - Joey MacFadden...."

sigh.

Kimba

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :)

Ralph D

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Catchin a lift from Geoff, for no real reason other than it's been too long
since I've had the opportunity to do so!

Here's one that may not be a program wide slogan, but thanks to the late
Jack M. it sure was popular around here for a while...
"Will power's something I've got lots of. Every time someone asked if I'd
have another I said sure I will. It's *won't* power I haven't got."
And while we're on the subject of dear ol Jack, here's a couple more of his
that became standards in our area for a few years...
"I'm an alcoholic and Jack M's my problem"
and...
"It will be a covered dish dinner, so if your wife's good lookin please put
a bag over her head!"
I miss Jack.

Ralph

Gëoff wrote in message <6efn4l$jo7$2...@excalibur.flash.net>...

>ml wrote in message <3509f...@news3.enter.net>...
>>I've been to hundreds of A.A. meetings, and heard - it seems - millions of
>>slogans (Let go, let God; Easy does it; Meeting makers make it; It works
if
>>you work it; etc.). I'd like to compose a list. Any submissions would be
>>appreciated.
>>Thanks.
>>

>Aren't you the one who asks this question this week and then next week
you'll be

Sandy G.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

"If you hang out in a barber shop, eventually you will get your hair
cut"

Gëoff

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Kim B. wrote in message <6egku8$a...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

Dad's most oft asked question "Where's my beer dammit"
'I don't know'
Mom's "I've marked the liquor bottles"
----
Geøff Z.
Do you know where your moral compass points today?

Terry M.

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

In article <3509f...@news3.enter.net>, "ml" <ml...@enter.net> wrote:

> I've been to hundreds of A.A. meetings, and heard - it seems - millions of
> slogans (Let go, let God; Easy does it; Meeting makers make it; It works if
> you work it; etc.). I'd like to compose a list. Any submissions would be
> appreciated.
> Thanks.

A good list, called "AA Aphorisms" is located at
www.winternet.com/~terrym/sobriety.html

--
IMPORTANT! For e-mail reply, remove "nospam." from e-mail address.

Sandy G.

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

"AA is a verb, not a noun"

Ralph D

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

AA is not a home correspondence course.

This too shall pass, maybe like a kidney stone, but it will pass.

Knife Fighter

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

Ralph D wrote:

> AA is not a home correspondence course.
>
> This too shall pass, maybe like a kidney stone, but it will pass.

Ya know, a lady who lived in a foriegn country without benefit of AA
for 3 years blesses one of the groups I attend with her presence. Seems
there are a lot of people who correspond to these types as their 'service
work'. (I imagine it quickly ceases to be work when they develop a friend-
ship!)

/s/ Knife - yakkin today

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Well probably more a short story rather than a saying ... but:

heard one of the newer members talking to a 'old grouch' about
having thoughts about this new beer that had come out, and
wondering what it tasted like. The reply:

"probably about the same as your last drink .. on the way back
up"