The sin is drinking, not getting drunk

Pluted Pup

Feb 19, 2024, 1:35:12 AMFeb 19
"Whensoever a man takes alcoholic drinks, you have
at no hour a security that he will not be drunk.
An unnoticed excess of quantity, or quality, or a
deranged physical state, rendering him less able to
resist the influence of alcohol, may make him,
unexpectedly -- drunk. In such a case, the sin is in
taking the liquor, not in becoming drunk. Only a
confirmed toper drinks intending to get drunk; other
men are surprised into that condition, when they only
meant to take what they call a harmless drink."

- pages 103-104 of Nothing To Drink, by Julia McNair Wright (1873)

badgolferman

Feb 19, 2024, 7:39:35 AMFeb 19
A sin is an immoral act going against God's law.

I am unaware of the act of drinking alcohol being considered a sin in
Judeo-Christian religion. It is however a sin in Islam.

Are you the one equating drinking alcohol with being a sin or is it
Julia McNair Wright?

We alcoholics lost the ability to drink safely and without
consequences, that doesn't make it wrong for other people to drink if
they can control it.

"We are careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as an
institution. Experience shows that such an attitude is not helpful to
anyone. Every new alcoholic looks for this spirit among us and is
immensely relieved when he finds we are not witch burners. A spirit of
intolerance might repel alcoholics whose lives could have been saved,
had it not been for such stupidity. We would not even do the cause of
temperate drinking any good, for not one drinker in a thousand likes to
be told anything about alcohol by one who hates it." Page 103

--
"They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human
knowledge." ~ Thomas Brackett Reed

Socrates

Feb 19, 2024, 2:45:39 PMFeb 19
On 2/19/2024 4:39 AM, badgolferman wrote:
> Pluted Pup wrote:
>
>> "Whensoever a man takes alcoholic drinks, you have
>> at no hour a security that he will not be drunk.
>> An unnoticed excess of quantity, or quality, or a
>> deranged physical state, rendering him less able to
>> resist the influence of alcohol, may make him,
>> unexpectedly -- drunk. In such a case, the sin is in
>> taking the liquor, not in becoming drunk. Only a
>> confirmed toper drinks intending to get drunk; other
>> men are surprised into that condition, when they only
>> meant to take what they call a harmless drink."
>>
>> - pages 103-104 of Nothing To Drink, by Julia McNair Wright (1873)

> A sin is an immoral act going against God's law.

Sin: Personal thoughts, speech and/or action that violate the Laws of
one of the mythical God's.

"All unrighteousness is sin” (1 John 5:16-17).

badgolferman

Feb 19, 2024, 3:57:40 PMFeb 19
I know you made up that definition because of the way you spelled Gods. Any
reputable organization providing definitions would know the difference
between the plural and possessive form of a word.

Socrates

Feb 19, 2024, 5:49:29 PMFeb 19
Pick one: https://biblehub.com/1_john/5-17.htm

New International Version
All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

New Living Translation
All wicked actions are sin, but not every sin leads to death.

English Standard Version
All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death.

Berean Standard Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, yet there is sin that does not lead to death.

Berean Literal Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not unto death.

King James Bible
All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

New King James Version
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

New American Standard Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

NASB 1995
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death.

NASB 1977
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death.

Legacy Standard Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death.

Amplified Bible
All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death [one
can repent of it and be forgiven].

Christian Standard Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin that doesn’t lead to death.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin that does not bring death.

American Standard Version
All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
For every evil is sin, and there is sin that is not mortal.

Contemporary English Version
Everything that is wrong is sin, but not all sins are deadly.

Douay-Rheims Bible
All iniquity is sin. And there is a sin unto death.

English Revised Version
All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Every kind of wrongdoing is sin, yet there are sins that don't lead to
death.

Good News Translation
All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which does not lead to death.

International Standard Version
Every kind of wrongdoing is sin, yet there are sins that do not lead to
death.

Literal Standard Version
all unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin [that is] not to death.

Majority Standard Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, yet there is sin that does not lead to death.

New American Bible
All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly.

NET Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, but there is sin not resulting in death.

New Revised Standard Version
All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not mortal.

New Heart English Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death.

Webster's Bible Translation
All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not to death.

Weymouth New Testament
Any kind of wrongdoing is sin; but there is sin which is not unto death.

World English Bible
All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

Young's Literal Translation
all unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not unto death.

badgolferman

Feb 19, 2024, 6:08:40 PMFeb 19
Not only does your spelling suck, but your reading comprehension needs some
help too.

Socrates

Feb 20, 2024, 2:25:35 AMFeb 20

Ok, Popcorn, you wrote:

"I know you made up that definition because of the way you spelled Gods.
Any reputable organization providing definitions would know the
difference between the plural and possessive form of a word."

Did you notice any quotation marks?

Sin: Personal thoughts, speech and/or action that violate the laws of
one of the mythical God's.

Of course you miss the whole point. Clue: "mythical."

MYTHOLOGY, n. The body of a primitive people's beliefs concerning its
origin, early history, heroes, deities and so forth, as distinguished
from the true accounts which it invents later

Bob

Feb 20, 2024, 3:27:10 AMFeb 20
Socrates <conn...@frontier.com> wrote:
> snip
>
> MYTHOLOGY, n. The body of a primitive people's beliefs concerning its
> origin, early history, heroes, deities and so forth, as distinguished
> from the true accounts which it invents later

:-)