Falling in love and bents (my Sat R Day)

melanie

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
I was without the Stealth for a week, and now I believe I have totally
fallen for the Sat R Day. It has a suspension type seat beam that I
have found to be softer over the long haul.

While I have not matched the 35 minute ten mile commute of the Stealth
yet, I am now just about at the 45 minute mark, and that is quite
acceptable. It is much easier to climb with the Sat R Day than on the
Stealth, and the Stealth isn't very difficult.

I think its the nimble quick assertive handling is the part of the Sat R
Day that I like the best. There is no heel strike, and the identical
wheel size front and back seems to give it more stability and a smoother
ride. I can't quite put my finger on it. But I really noticed it
going across the railroad tracks near here. They are the rough stuff,
the kind that even in a car, you find yourself thinking, why don't they
fix this intersection type thing.

I think I am going to try it on a longer ride to see about the comfort
factor.

When I first got it, I thought why do I need another recumbent. I also
thought that I wouldn't have bought it with ss couplings now available
on so many other bents out there. Now I know that's not true.

The Sat R Day folds up virtually instantly to go where ever I need to
go. My life has changed because of this bike. I find myself traveling
on my own because I have it. I want to go on trips, so I can take my
bike. I can't describe it exactly, but it means that basic reasonably
fast comfortable hpv transportation is always available to me.

Somehow the bent has gone from being a recreational vehicle to being an
essential part of my life. And, its because of this Sat R Day. So
while I contemplate selling the Stealth, getting rid of the Sat R Day is
totally out of the question. Weird huh?

I like the Sat R Day's ability to shift when stopped. Every once in
awhile, I find myself stopped on a hill with the Stealth in too high a
gear to continue. This annoys me.

On the Sat R Day, this never happens. It has an internal hub, that
makes the climbing gears instantly accessible.

I have spoken before about the wonderful design of the Sat R Day,
beautiful welds, the fact that you can turn it over to work on it and it
forms a stable work platform eliminating the need for a stand to make
adjustments, the way the boom clamps down securely for riding and then
folds up to instantly go into a suitcase, back seat or trunk.

But its the little stuff that I see, elements of good design that are
really growing on me. I like the cable stays (this feels really silly
to talk about) but each one is line up in a row, almost artistically
designed. I like looking at. I like looking at the bike with packs on,
I love the way it looks. Other people seem to like the way it looks
too-- on the Stealth I get "Cool bike". On the Sat R Day, I get
"Beautiful ride, beautiful bike, or my favorite-- that is some bike!"
(Some folks think its a fancy bmx bike, but I haven't attempted to hop
any curbs, its too expensive for that!)

I love this bike.

I feel very strange about this. I get the Longbike Eliminator in less
than two weeks. I like it, because it reminds me of the engineering of
the Sat R Day. What if I don't like it as well as the Sat R Day?
This is kind of like having a Honda Civic. I can't give that up either,
its too well designed and put together. It gives me a feeling of
stability, security, and ecologic responsibility. And its twelve years
old, and I need a new car.

Of course, I don't have any money because I keep spending it all on
bents.

In the heart of my dilemma,

Melanie
gazing longingly at the Sat R Day
Columbus, Ohio

_\o__...
O\_/^ o
Stealth and Sat R Day owner
transforming the body
while pleasing the soul.

fred

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
wow, she kind of reminds you of your first real case of
puppy love, doesn't she.

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

LeRoy

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
Melanie,

Face it. You're one of the "obsessed." I went from one bent 2
years ago to now having three in the family, and another one on
the way (EZ-1 for the wife). Help! I'm buying recumbents and I
can't stop.
My wife thinks I'm a little nuts to have so many bikes, and to
keep an eye on this NG on an almost daily basis, but she puts up
with my "obsession." She figures it's a heck of alot better
than drinking, smoking, or chasing women.

Look at it this way. When bents, you're helping the environment
by using less gasoline and oil, you're getting exercise, and by
having multiple bikes, look at all the bent bike builders that
you keep employed!

MTa

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
Melanie:
I have a girlfriend that is 5'4 and may be interested in your
Stealth if it is still for sale. This would be her first bent.
Marci

gmartinz

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
I have considered purchasing the SRD but the 16" wheels has
prevented me from going forward with a purchase. The experience you
related about going over RR Tracks was encouraging. How is the bike in
loose sand and gravel, going over pot holes and in the rain compared to
other recumbents? Do you have USS or ASS? Would appreciate your
comparison with your new Eliminator. I am also thinking about that bike
or the Nitro since they are the only other recumbents that I know of
that can be made to fit in an airplane legal case if S&S couplers are
used. The P-38 claims it fits but the case is 2" larger than a legal
case. Gary

Ted Squire

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
I thought the new CrateWorks Crate for the non-XL BikeE's was airline
legal.

Has anyone checked directly with CrateWorks? Their web site says it's
legal.

http://www.crateworks.com/frameset.html$features

They also say, "Can also accept VISION/RANS short wheelbase w/o seat."

ted
----

"gmartinz" <zimmerN...@neca.com.invalid> wrote in message

melanie

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
marci,

I still have it. I tried to get a guy on it this weekend who has a 26
1/2 inseam and with the extended boom on it we couldn't get the seat far
enough forward. Have her try the s/m size at a dealer if she can to
see if it would fit her.

Melanie

say Marci, are you getting a Barcroft?

MTa

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
Ok Melanie i'll have her try one but i'm sure it would fit.
Yes, I am getting a Barcroft Virginia Gt but Bill Cook is out of
them at the moment. I guess there's a bunch being made right
now but all are sold. I think mine is scheduled to get here
around June 1, that's a long time for me to wait. I was either
getting the Barcroft Virginia GT or the Eliminator. Too bad we
don't live near each other, we could do some demoing (I am in
CA). The eliminator's weight stopped me, I have a hard time on
the hills even with a 27 lb bike. The barcroft claims about
28lbs and I am upgrading to some lighter parts so am hoping for
about 26 lbs. and I think the Eliminator is about 35 lbs??
Marci

melanie

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
Gary,

The Sat R Day is really a road bike, by I have not had any handling
problems with the stuff you describe, spilled sand or gravel any more
than one would have with a regular road bike. The tire width with the
Primo Comet might be expanded with tire availability. I would not
hesistate at a Sat R Day for the reasons you mentioned.

Funny you should ask about potholes, I hit one I didn't see, about six
inches square and four inches deep. It knocked me around, but I didn't
fall over, just looked behind me, and said to myself, hmmm that was a
pot hole I didn't see.

I can't say about the Eliminator yet, still waiting.

I did about thirty miles or more yesterday on the Sat R Day, without a
problem. Smooth shifting, dynamic handling and cushioned ride.

It was a good day. Buds have just opened, and the shrubbery has the
yellow green newness of spring.

Melanie
Columbus, Ohio

melanie

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
Marci,

I don't think the Eliminator is over thirty pounds, although I know it
is heavier than the other bikes I have. Of course, with me on it, I am
not sure that the Eliminator would be light in any fashion. It seems to
me the guy at the shop weighed it, and at least as equiped it came in
slightly over 28 lbs.

Melanie

MTa

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
Melanie:
Maybe you are getting the new aluminum version of the
eliminator? The rep at longbikes told me on the phone that the
steel version is 35 lbs.

melanie

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Marci, I don't think it was 35 lbs, it did not feel like it. Oh well,
I am still going to retain my enthusiasm. The proof will be in the
pudding as it were. The fact a bike even goes with a heavy though
stealthy rider on it is amazing.

Melanie
Columbus, Ohio

MTa

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
My GRR is probably close to that weight with all the stuff I
have on it and it is still the fastest bike that I own. I
really like the Eliminator and I am sure you will love it. Be
sure and give us a full report!!!

Todd Bettenhausen

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
Hey Melanie!

Can't imagine what you'd write about the guy you fell for... but it'd be
worth reading! And he'd be pretty lucky, too, if you can be that passionate
about a bicycle... :)

Todd Bettenhausen
Indianapolis, IN

P.S. Whatcha doin' this weekend... JUST KIDDING!

"MTa" <mta511291...@aol.com.invalid> wrote in message

Herman Krieger

Oct 9, 2022, 7:24:09 PM10/9/22