BikeE Pride

Tane' Tachyon

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Yesterday I did some volunteer duty (working at the beverage booth)
at the Santa Cruz (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered) Pride
Festival. I don't think I have ever gotten so many compliments
before in my life, and most of them were BikeE related at that!

First of all, I wanted to see the parade but thought I should get
to the beverage booth before the crowd did, so after riding my
BikeE downtown I decided that I would ride it along the parade
route. Well, as soon as I got to the parade the crowds of
spectators on both sides of the street started clapping and
cheering for me as if I were a float or something. This continued
and continued and continued all the way to the park.

At one point I came to a stop while the group in front of me put on
a little gymnastics demonstration, and found myself face to face
with ... a spectator using a blue BikeE as his parade-watching seat.
It was the first time I'd ever seen another BikeE that close up ...
I know there are others in town, but had only twice before caught
glimpses of them from a distance.

I was starting to feel kind of embarrassed about being treated as a
float, because both my BikeE and I looked the same way we always do,
but considering that I have purple hair and pretty wild-looking
sunglasses, and that my BikeE is purple with a purple holographic-
mylar-streamers windsock for a flag, well, I think I can tell why
people might think I was done up for the parade. :-)

I even heard someone yell "Yay recumbent!" when I was locking my
bike up at the park. Twice people came up to the beverage booth to
say they had seen me riding my bike, and at one point I noticed a
young woman wearing a "Bent" button, but somehow I doubt it was at
all bike related. :-)

At one point on the way home after the festival I was waiting to
cross a street, and along came a *long, long, long* line of
participants in the California (San Francisco to Los Angeles) AIDS
Ride, including at least one more blue BikeE. And many of *these*
riders were waving to me and yelling things like "cool bike!" as
well. These riders definitely had the most fantastic bike helmets
I've ever seen -- besides lots of spinning propellors I saw a
helmet with a globe on top, another with dragon/dinosaur-like green
spines, one with lots of foot-long bouncing neon yellow-green
filaments, several with stuffed animals attached, and a lot more I
don't quite remember.

I guess next year I should put even more streamers on my bike. :-)
--
Tane' Tachyon = tac...@cats.ucsc.edu = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/