REALIZING THE REALISM OF LIFE AND ACTUALITY

238 views
Skip to first unread message

Phillip Lamarr Cunningham

unread,
Oct 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/31/95
to

Word. . . life. Another 5 Ft. Shorty Wop commentary, fresh from the mindpiece.


Like the AZ's verse on Nas' "Life's A Bitch", I think that some people need to
indeed realize the realism of life and actuality. There is not too much of a
doubt that maybe, just maybe, some of the brothers who express how much of the
street life they were living before they got their record deal may actually be
true. However, some of the verses that they choose to kick to our earlobes are
plain fiction. How many brothers do you know that are going to tell people
about an actual murder they committed? That's not only evidence against them,
it's just plain silly.

Here is the hard core fact. Some of these artists out there are merely telling
exactly what the album buying masses want to hear. I don't approve of it at
all, but who can blame 'em? Hell, it got Snoop his loot. But, and I'm sorry
to burst a few bubbles - IT'S NOT REAL. Need examples? Okay, example #1. How
many times have we heard either Notorious B.I.G. or Ice Cube rhyme about all of
the women (they used a more derogatory term) they have, yet both men are
married (and Cube has kids!)? If anything they say is true, that's adultery
and evidence. Another stupid move. I won't bore you with more examples, I'm
sure you catch my drift.

I think that O.C. gave the proper approach M.C.'s should abide by on his joint,
"Time's Up". The verse goes a little something like this. . .

"My album will express things that I've read, seen or heard about
Always first person, never word of mouth. . ."

Realize the real, y'all. There really isn't too much of it out there.

5 FT. SHORTY WOP (A/K/A CHARISMA)


--
PHILL L. CUNNINGHAM
YOUNG, GIFTED, & BLACK!
BLACK STAR LINE FILMWORKS, INC.
OHIO UNIVERSITY (PC26...@OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU)

DEE ONE 96

unread,
Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
to richar...@mindlink.bc.ca
NO, THIS GUY IS TALKING ABOUT, OR IMPLYING THAT AZ DOESN'T DO WHAT HE
SAYS HE DOES. I KNOW AZ AND KNOW THAT THE NIGGA'S "REAL." THERE REALLY
ARE NIGGAS WHO LIVE THE LIFE THEY PORTRAY, NOT MANY, BUT THERE ARE THOSE
THAT ARE TRUE. AND THIS OHIO HEAD IS TALKING OUT HIS ASS, AGAIN.

BREw

unread,
Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
to
isn't it "VISUALIZING the realism of life..."? there's a difference,
and i'm not just being picky about misquoting. if mr. cunningham thought
it was "realizing", then maybe he took az's phrase wrongly to begin
with. "realizing" to me seems to say, "okay, now i see how shit really
is, and now that i have that REALIZATION, i can take BOTH sides (the
side i knew before and the side i've REALIZED), and draw a conclusion--a
person's status must depend on salary. now, using VISUALIZING, az LIVES
this, he's in the mix, not off to the side saying, "oh, so this is how
it must be..." nah, he's there. so, based on what he IS, he's
VISUALIZING life through his own eyes, and commenting on how HE sees
shit. anyone get me? just thoughts... BREw

" if my critics put their money where their mouth is
then my dick would be a millionaire" --chino xl

Quiz

unread,
Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
to

ahh c'mon Dee,, I mean shit... of all the peeps in this joint... you gonna
try and pull this kids card? He's usually on point from my
experience... shit... oh well...


>MORE GARBAGE FROM THE OHIO COCK, WHERE THEY KEEP IT REAL. CHECK IT ALL
>Y'ALL.........


>---------------------------------13636352824357
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>Content-Type: text/plain

>---------------------------------13636352824357--


BREw

unread,
Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
to pc26...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
again, i'ma have to question your quotes for the second time, mr.
cunningham, and ask what's up with your comprehension of lyrics. o.c.'s
not saying what you think he is AT ALL, actually, he's saying the
opposite. as you quoted him, maybe you're right. but actually:
"this album will manifest many things that i SAW, DID, or heard about
BUT told first hand, NEVER word of mouth..."
so he's actually DEFENDING his "realness" (and consequently dissing
those who ain't real throughout the song) by saying, he ain't talking
bullshit, fake shit...he's either DONE IT, BEEN THERE when it happened,
or even if he HEARD ABOUT it, it was FIRSTHAND, NOT word of mouth, as in
"yo, i heard from his sister's man's brother's cousin who was kinda
there..." so, i guess you used a misquoted example for a misquoted
topic to argue your point (which, in its essence, i agree with the
point), but please listen to shit more carefully when you're gonna quote
an artist. BREw

" you have no regard for the masses,
how you affect them and how they view you
now you know you knew you were open wide
for the whole wide world to do you..."--aceyalone

Shavar Dakel Jeffries

unread,
Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
to
My brother, please don't misquote the rhyme in your title, bra.

The line is "Visualizing the realism of life and actuality."

Pay attention to the Vusualiza, especially if you're going to cite one of
the great songs in the history of hip-hop.

Peace.

Rick Redus

unread,
Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
to
In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.95110...@sal-sun72.usc.edu>,
Gerard p/k/a Medicine <gsgo...@sal-sun72.usc.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Phillip Lamarr Cunningham wrote:
>
> > I think that O.C. gave the proper approach M.C.'s should abide by on
his joint,
> > "Time's Up". The verse goes a little something like this. . .
> >

> > "My album will manifest many things that I've read, seen or heard about
> > Or told first hand, never word of mouth. . ."
>
> No question that's dope, we all probably agree, but I had thought about
> that line in particular when I first heard it and I was thinking...
>
> If his album was manifesting shit that he had (at times) "heard about",
> wouldn't that essentially be word of mouth? Just a little question.


I had the identical question when I was listening to those lyrics.
It's such a strong song, but that little error lets some of the air out of
it...don't you hate it when that happens? For me it resonates with the
"everybody's looking for a hero" thread that kari orr was weaving a little
ways back through the cyber-labrynth...when we select a rap-god to project
our whatever on, we don't want to be seeing those hairline cracks in the
patina...oh well, I haven't heard Ras or Acey drop a clam yet...
(by the way, it's "... saw, did or heard about...")

--
RR

BREw

unread,
Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
to
i'm going to try and explain this one last time, so please listen:
" this album will manifest many things that i saw, did, OR
heard about-----BUT told FIRST HAND, NEVER WORD OF MOUTH"

yeah, of course thay mena the same thing because it's all within the
same context. the 3 main ideas are SAW, DID, HEARD... now, what he does
is breaks down the words "heard about" into an explaination: basically,
even IF i heard about it, it was a first hand story, not a story that i
heard about through word of mouth. so it's not a "little error", or
"essentially the same" it IS the same, because he's explaining a
definition of "heard about"--you can hear about something first hand, or
word of mouth, comprende? you all have good intentions on this idea, but
you seem to be missing the point... BREw


Rick Redus

unread,
Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95
to

I don't know, BREw, I think I understand what you're trying to get
across here, but I can't really buy it...First of all, I don't see how you
can get "BUT told firsthand"; on my CD it's clearly "OR told
firsthand"...But that's not really the main point, which is that
"word-of-mouth" means "something heard". Look it up, both Webster's and
Random House equate the phrase "word-of-mouth" with "verbal
communication". So to put it as explicitly as possible, hearing a story
"firsthand" (yes that's right it's one word) is also to hear it by
"word-of-mouth" ( yes that's right it's hyphenated): no essential
difference except for a subtle shade of meaning obviously not relevant to
this (totally trivial) discussion....So...I can see that O.C. might have
been using the phrase the same way you do, and might have been trying to
convey the point which you have so eloquently broken down, but
still...It's an error. A little error.

--
RR

KERSE ONEr

unread,
Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95
to
I thought he said "I FLOw first hand..." I have a tape though,so not as
clear as your CD...youre probably right

BREw

unread,
Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95
to rjr...@sonic.net
why do kids always gotta come across with that little pointed sarcasm?
it's cute and all, but it pisses me off. everyone does it, though. like
the parentheses, you're probably one of those ones who will complain if
i misspell a word. i give a fuck. here's the point one last time, and no
matter how many times you fumble through that little red book praying
for help form merriam webster, ask him if he can help you with a
CONTEXTUAL MISTAKE. see, this has nothing to do with webster's
definition, it's context. do you have a book for that, wise guy? i don't
need a dictionary to tell me these words mean the same thing. but tell
me, does "heard about firsthand" mean the same as "heard about by word
of mouth"? ask merraim. oh, then listen. o.c. is explaining the
difference between those two phrases, not the phrases that you think so,
no matter whether you "buy it", here it is: IT"S A FACT. THERE'S NO
ERROR OF ANY KIND IN THAT VERSE. NEVER WILL BE. sorry.........BREw

Rick Redus

unread,
Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95
to


O.K., BREw, you're right, my sarcasm was out of line. I apologize. I'm
not following you vis-a-vis our little debate, and I still think I'm
right, but so the fuck what? You write good posts. I'm sorry I went for
the kill. Later.

--
RR

Nick Goulet

unread,
May 18, 2021, 11:31:56 PM5/18/21
to
On Tuesday, October 31, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Phillip Lamarr Cunningham wrote:
> Word. . . life. Another 5 Ft. Shorty Wop commentary, fresh from the mindpiece.
>
> Like the AZ's verse on Nas' "Life's A Bitch", I think that some people need to
> indeed realize the realism of life and actuality. There is not too much of a
> doubt that maybe, just maybe, some of the brothers who express how much of the
> street life they were living before they got their record deal may actually be
> true. However, some of the verses that they choose to kick to our earlobes are
> plain fiction. How many brothers do you know that are going to tell people
> about an actual murder they committed? That's not only evidence against them,
> it's just plain silly.
> Here is the hard core fact. Some of these artists out there are merely telling
> exactly what the album buying masses want to hear. I don't approve of it at
> all, but who can blame 'em? Hell, it got Snoop his loot. But, and I'm sorry
> to burst a few bubbles - IT'S NOT REAL. Need examples? Okay, example #1. How
> many times have we heard either Notorious B.I.G. or Ice Cube rhyme about all of
> the women (they used a more derogatory term) they have, yet both men are
> married (and Cube has kids!)? If anything they say is true, that's adultery
> and evidence. Another stupid move. I won't bore you with more examples, I'm
> sure you catch my drift.
> I think that O.C. gave the proper approach M.C.'s should abide by on his joint,
> "Time's Up". The verse goes a little something like this. . .
> "My album will express things that I've read, seen or heard about
> Always first person, never word of mouth. . ."
> Realize the real, y'all. There really isn't too much of it out there.
> 5 FT. SHORTY WOP (A/K/A CHARISMA)
>
> --
> PHILL L. CUNNINGHAM
> YOUNG, GIFTED, & BLACK!
> BLACK STAR LINE FILMWORKS, INC.
> OHIO UNIVERSITY (PC26...@OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU)


yo everyone on here is high as fuck. its just a song. at this point producers called his shots. lol this is retarded.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages