Doctor Octagon a.k.a. Kool Keith

Joseph S Grossberg

Oct 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/6/96

Yo, I finally got my hands on this album. (Finding a relatively obscure
hip-hop album in Canberra, Australia is roughly as difficult as buying 2
Live Crew at the Vatican. Let me put it this way: NWA tapes are filed
under "Dance" (not even R&B!) ...).

Words cannot even explain how in love with this hit I am. Lord, lord,
lord. Listening to this LP is like hearing a decade into the future.

Anyways, enough with the dick riding. Here are my questions:

1) Is this the "trip-hop" stuff I've been hearing about all this time? (As
far as music can be categorized, that is ... I don't want this thread to
turn into an academic debate about what a genre/artist is labelled.)

2) If I like the Dr. Octagon album, what other albums would you recommend
on that basis? (I've been a fan of Organized Konfusion, Aceyalone and yes,
Ultramagnetic MC's for years, but I feel like I just spotted a gold nugget
at the entrance to a whole new artistic mine.)

Thanks for any recommendations y'all can offer,
Joe.

Andy Garcia

Oct 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/12/96

I'm a new jack when it comes to the Mo Wax label (I have to thank
everyone on this newsgroup again who put me up on it) but I would
recommend you check out DJ Shadow. DJ Shadow is credited by some with
starting trip-hop which is pretty ironic considering he considers what
he produces as being hip-hop. His first album "Entroducing" has been
recently released. If u want a real challenge try finding some of his
earlier singles. Mo Wax have an unofficial website in the UK which
lists all their releases. There is also the "Blue Flowers" single (2 x
12" or one CD single) which contains many different remixes include
drum and bass remixes.

www.musicians-net.co.uk./HHC/HHC_links.html

has a link to it along with a number of other independent record
labels and unofficial websites. HHC is a UK based hip-hop magazine,
you can also check out their website while you are there. (It has an
interview with DJ Shadow).

P R Wheatley

Oct 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/14/96

>I'm a new jack when it comes to the Mo Wax label (I have to thank
>everyone on this newsgroup again who put me up on it) but I would
>recommend you check out DJ Shadow. DJ Shadow is credited by some with
>starting trip-hop which is pretty ironic considering he considers what
>he produces as being hip-hop. His first album "Entroducing" has been
>recently released. If u want a real challenge try finding some of his
>earlier singles.

One of the singles was re-released in the last round of re-issues, its a
Krush/Shadow release, so you get a bit of both of the main experimental hip hop
pioneers.

InFlux was the track that started it all off, so you need this really. That and
another track (who's name escapes me) is on the heads compilation album which
is quite easy to find. Its full of decent MoWax stuff anyway, so if you like
Shadow, you probably like it.

The "What does your soul look like?" EP by Shadow is pretty hard to find now,
which is a shame cos at half an hour playing time its like a mini debut album
really. Two of the tracks are on Entroducing, but the first track of the EP
can't be missed...

> Mo Wax have an unofficial website in the UK which
>lists all their releases. There is also the "Blue Flowers" single (2 x
>12" or one CD single) which contains many different remixes include
>drum and bass remixes.

"Blue FLowers" is Dr Octagon not Shadow.

Whats the URL of the web site?

Paul

J. Winston Chiong

Oct 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/14/96

P R Wheatley (csx...@scs.leeds.ac.uk) wrote:
: InFlux was the track that started it all off, so you need this really. That and

: another track (who's name escapes me) is on the heads compilation album which
: is quite easy to find. Its full of decent MoWax stuff anyway, so if you like
: Shadow, you probably like it.

As for Shadow: a lot of people don't know that DJ Shadow is actually a
part of the Solesides crew, which has its own independent label out here
in the Bay Area. (I've been interning for Solesides for the last couple
months.) Mo'Wax picked up Shadow's instrumental stuff for UK
release (I'm not familiar with the details of the deal between Mo'Wax and
Solesides) after the first Solesides single (SS001: Send Them b/w Entropy)
dropped in '93.

So if you want the track that really started it all off, you need to check
"Entropy", which is like a 7-part, 17 minute long manifesto of
instrumental hip-hop. Not only is it a great release in itself, but you
can see in it the beginnings of where Shadow's been trying to go with
hip-hop, with intelligent use of spoken word and media sampling, the debut
of Gift of Gab (from Blackalicious), classic breakbeats and a lot of the
moody musical effects that you're familiar with from the Mo'Wax releases.

I think we've still got some copies on vinyl... I'll have to check with
Zen. If you like Shadow, he also did about half of the production off of
the classic Blackalicious debut, _Melodica_, which I think we only still
have on CD and tape (again, I'll have to check). Furthermore, he also did
the production on Lateef's new single, The Quickening/The Wreckoning/
Latyrx, which people have been talking about over the last couple months.
As for purely instrumental stuff, there's also Fully Charged On Planet X/
Hardcore Instrumental Hip-Hop, which was available both from us and from
Mo'Wax - the same music, except that if you bought ours you got better
artwork, probably saved a buck or two, and got the satisfaction of knowing
that your purchase supported a small, artist-owned independent hip-hop
label.

You can check all of this out at our website at www.massive.com/solesides,
though the site badly needs to be updated. I'm also working on trying to
organize our mailing list and internet contacts... for now you can e-mail
me here at this address or e-mail DJ Zen at sole...@aol.com.

Through the years, a man peoples a space with images of provinces,
kingdoms, mountains, bays, ships, islands, fishes, rooms, tools, stars,
horses, and people. Shortly before his death, he discovers that the
patient labyrinth of lines traces the image of his own face.

- Jorge Luis Borges

CBeas48730

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

You think you had a hard time finding it? Tower Records in Richmond , Va.
had it advertised in their mag Pulse and it was never available (though it
was advertised for sale). I finally got it 4 months later. I would not
classify it as Trip-Hop though... DJ Krush is more along these lines...
If you want to hear some good Kool Keith and Ultramags, check out one of
their albums called "Critical Beatdown". True hip hop, phat scratches,
and tight rhymes...