Digital Underground Discography (long)

Bill Szabrak

May 8, 1992, 1:25:00 AM5/8/92

d i g i t a l u n d e r g r o u n d
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

<The Ultimate Diskography> [v 1.0] (5/4/92)

Members of digital underground (in no particular order)

Shock G. ......... Greg Jacobs Humpty Hump ...... Eddie Humphrey
Money-B .......... Ron Brooks DJ Fuze .......... Dave Elliot
Goldfingers ...... (?)* MC Blowfish ...... (?)*
Kenny K .......... (?) C.M.J. ........... (?)*
Piano Man ........ (?)* Tupac ............ Tupac Shakur
Mac-Mone ......... (?) Big Money Odis ... M. Davis
PeeWee ........... (?) Sleuth ........... (?)
MC Clever ........ Mark Moore Shorty-B ......... (?)
Schmoovy-Schmoov.. (?)

Family of the Underground (whatever relation it may mean)

Big Stretch ...... (?) O.B. ............. (?)
The God Rakiem ... (?) D-Love ........... (?)
Blocko ........... (?) Omar Everett ..... (?)
Shassiah ......... (?) Master Mind ...... (?)

Miscellaneous names associated with the Underground
(Who could be members, but it's not currently known for sure)

George Clinton (and Jr.), Niggerachi, Too Fly Eli, Jay-Z, Gemini,
DJ-Impossible (Deon Evans)

* See Miscellaneous Notes

RELEASES (All attempts made to be chronologically correct)
--------

"Underwater Rimes"
Single(?) [(c) <?>]

Possibly released as a single(?), but more commonly found on
compilation tapes such as "Street Kuts"
----

"Doowutchyalike"
12" single & 12" cassette [(c) 1989]
Video

Possibly released as a single(?). Introduced the X-howyalike
concept. Includes several mixes and "Hip-Hop Doll".
----

"The Humpty Dance"
12" single & 12" cassette [(c) 1989]
Video

Probably released as a single(?). Highest charting DU song
on Billboard pop chart.
----

"Sex Packets"
Full length album, cassette, and CD [(c) 1990]

Popular album. Went platinum.(?) Introduced the concept of
the "Sex Packet" which is supposedly a pill taken to simulate
sexual intercourse. "Sex Packets" are in all likelihood,
fictitious. No information has been brought forth to prove
that they actually exist. (Although, in Manhattan, I did see
a record distributor (probably from Tommy Boy) give a record
store manager what he called a "Sex Packet", however, I am
inclined to believe it was for promotional purposes.)
----

"Doowutchyalike & Packet Man"
12" single [(c) 1989 & 1990]

Included remixes of "Doowutchyalike" and "Packet Man".
----

"Same Song"
Was this ever actually released as a single<?> [(c) 1990]
Video
----

"This is an EP release"
EP (Extended Play) cassette & CD (no vinyl) [(c) 1990]

Went gold. Contained two songs from the movie "Nothing
but Trouble". Also included two new songs and two remixes.
Introduced Tupac and Big Money Odis as lead rappers.
----

"Kiss you Back"
12" single & cassette [(c) 1991]
Video

Possibly released as a single(?). Very R&B sounding.
First song released off their "Sons of the P" album.
----

"Sons of the P"
Full length album, cassette, and CD [(c) 1991]

Went gold(?). Working towards platinum(?). George Clinton
actually appeared on and assisted with this album.
Purports DUs claim to be the sons of Parliament,
Funkadelic, P-Funk, whatever, and their intent to carry
on the sound, feeling, and life of funk. Production
qualities of this album are vastly improved over "Sex
Packets". Contains more live instrumentation.
----

"No Nose Job"
12" single, cassette, and CD [(c) 1991]
Video

The second popular song released with Humpty Hump doing the
lead rap. Makes some comments on the responsibility of some
of today's role models.

DISCOGRAPHY
-----------

"SEX PACKETS"

"Humpty Dance"
Lead Humpty Hump
Back Shock G, MoneyB, Fuze, Talkhowyalike Vocal Squad

"The Way We Swing"
Lead Shock G
Back Kenny K, MC Blowfish, C.M.J., Danny Myers, Vinny B,
Underground Speakhowyalike Crew

"Packet Prelude"
<Instrumental>

"Sex Packets"
Lead Shock G, Schmoovy-Schmoov
Back the Computer Woman, Maverick (guest vocals)

"Street Scene"
<`Live' recording>

"Packet Man"
Lead Shock G, Humpty Hump
Back C.M.J.

"Freaks of the Industry"
Lead Shock G, Money-B
Back Shock G, Money-B

"Underwater Rimes" (Remix)
Lead Shock G
Back MC Blowfish, Money-B, the Computer Woman

"The New Jazz" (One)
<Instrumental>

"Rhymin' on the Funk"
Lead Shock G, Money-B
Back Shock G, Money-B

"The Danger Zone"
Lead Shock G
Back Shock G

"Packet Reprise"
<Instrumental>

"Doowutchyalike"
Lead Shock G, Humpty Hump
Back Money-B, Mac-Mone, Bulldog, Liz Racker (Baby Dope),
C.M.J., Sleuth, the Computer Woman, Bret Davis,
Tanisha Spencer

"Hip-Hop Doll" @
Lead Shock G

"Gutfest '89" %
Lead Shock G
Back (?)

"Sound of the Underground" @
Lead Money-B
Back (?)

"A Tribute to the Early Days" @
Lead Kenny K, Shock G
Back (?)
----

"THIS IS AN EP RELEASE"

"Same Song"
Lead Shock G, Humpty Hump, Money-B, Tupac
Back Schmoovy-Schmoov (also credited is Walter "June"
Morrison or Phillipe Wynne from the sample used)

"Tie the Knot"
Lead Shock G, Humpty Hump. Money-B
Back Kent Racker

"The Way We Swing" (Remix)
Lead Shock G, Money-B
Back MC Blowfish, Tupac

"Nuttin' Nis Funky"
Lead Shock G, Big Money Odis, Humpty Hump
Back Schmoovy-Schmoov

"Packet Man" (Worth a Packet Remix)
Lead Shock G, Humpty-Hump

"Arguin' on the Funk"
Lead Shock G, Humpty Hump, Money-B

----

"SONS OF THE P"

"The DFLO Shuttle"
Lead Shock G, Pee Wee, Tupac
Back Shock G, Big Money Odis

"Heartbeat Props"
Lead Shock G, Big Money Odis, Pee Wee
Back Humpty Hump, Big Money Odis, MC Clever, (more?)

"No Nose Job"
Lead Humpty Hump, MC Clever
Back Shock G, MC Clever, miscellaneous Underground members

"Sons of the P"
Lead George Clinton, Shock G, Money-B, Schmoovy-Schmoov
Back Schmoovy-Schmoov, George Clinton, Shock G, Money-B,
Pee Wee

"Flowin' on the D-Line"
Lead Shock G
Back Shock G

"Kiss You Back"
Lead Shock G, Money-B, Humpty Hump
Back Shock G, Money-B, George Clinton, Jr., Phillipe Wynn

"Tales of the Funky"
Lead Shock G, Shorty B,
Back Shock G, Humpty Hump, (more?)

"The Higher Heights of Spirituality"
Lead George Clinton?

"Family of the Underground"
Intro Tupac, Treach (of Naughty by Nature)
Lead Shock G, Blocko, Mac-Mone, xxx, Big Stretch, Master Mind,
Shassiah, yyy, O.B., The God Rakiem, D-Love, T.F.E.
(one of xxx or yyy is Omar Everett, the other is ?)
Back Humpty Hump

"Good Thing We're Rappin'"
Lead Humpty Hump, Shock G
Back Shock G, Big Money Odis

"The D-Flowsrumental" #
<Instrumental>

@ only available on cassette
# only available on CD
% available on CD and cassette (not LP)

SPINOFFS
--------

Raw Fusion - Money-B and DJ Fuze

Album - "Live from the Styleetron"
Features Shock G, Humpty Hump, Mac-Mone, Big Money Odis, Pee Wee,
Schmoovy-Schmoov, Tupac

12" Singles - "Throw Your Hands in the Air" (b/w "Do My Thang")
(And Videos) "Rockin' to the PM" (b/w "Don't Test")

----

2pac - Tupac Shakur

Album - "2pacalypse Now"
Features Shock G, Money-B, DJ Fuze, Mac-Mone, Pee Wee, Stretch

12" Singles - "Trapped" (b/w ????)
(And Videos) "Brenda's Got a Baby" (b/w ????)

----

Gold Money - Pee Wee and Big Money Odis

Album - due to drop in the near future
Features Shock G, Humpty Hump, Money-B, Sleuth

12" Singles - "Money" (b/w "Mnniiggaahh")
(And Videos)
----

Spinoffs who have no known wax available (at least not on a national level)

Live Squad, Badd Kumpany, P.B.C., Blocko, Master Mind, Shassiah

MISCELLANEOUS
-------------
Shock G appears as a number of different charcters, most
prominently, Humpty Hump. This is assumed to be true as no other
proof has been offered to dispute this fact. Another charcter likely
to be Shock G is MC Blowfish.

Information has led to the belief that Goldfingers is an alias used
by DJ Fuze.

Piano Man's alias appears to be highly protected for unknown reasons.
Possibly because he is under contract to a different label, or
maybe he just likes to remain anonymous.

C.M.J. probably stands for Chopmaster J, who it appears passed away
sometime between "Sex Packets" and "EP Release". Cause of death
is unknown as of this release.

Most (maybe all) artwork done on the records is by Rackadelic.

The "Underground Lab" in Oakland, mentioned in many of the
record credits, is probably the 16-track recording studio that was
located in Shock G's house, which unfortunately was destroyed in the
Oakland fire during 1991. Other DU member's houses were destroyed in
the fire, but his/her/their names are unknown as of this release.

Hint: Watch for Fuze in all the videos...he plays a lot of "characters"
such as: a cop, a Scottish bagpipe player, and a doctor. He also
makes appearances in videos by Tupac and Gold Money.

Uncertainty at points in this discography is noted with ?, (?), or <?>.
Please mail me if you are aware of the answers to any of these.

This discography will be updated when deemed necessary.

Please submit any information/recommendations/ideas/corrections/etc.
to: bsza...@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
-----------------------------
Also, I am interested in DU-related paraphenalia/collectibles anyone
might be interested in parting with. Contact me for discussion.

. Bill Szabrak . "Are y'all gonna do this all the .
. bsza...@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu . time?" -Ross Perot to all the .

Michael Jason Lewis

May 8, 1992, 5:25:06 AM5/8/92
bsza...@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Bill Szabrak) writes:

>d i g i t a l u n d e r g r o u n d
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> <The Ultimate Diskography> [v 1.0] (5/4/92)

>"Sex Packets"

> Full length album, cassette, and CD [(c) 1990]

> Popular album. Went platinum.(?) Introduced the concept of
> the "Sex Packet" which is supposedly a pill taken to simulate
> sexual intercourse. "Sex Packets" are in all likelihood,
> fictitious. No information has been brought forth to prove
> that they actually exist. (Although, in Manhattan, I did see
> a record distributor (probably from Tommy Boy) give a record
> store manager what he called a "Sex Packet", however, I am
> inclined to believe it was for promotional purposes.)

(I know the following from my roommate's sister, who was involved
with production...)
The Sex Packet (promo item) is a keychain. It's about four inches in
diameter, made of black leather, has "Digital Underground -- Official
Sex Packet" written around the edge, and a condom (in wrapper) in a
window in the middle.

>Shock G appears as a number of different charcters, most
> prominently, Humpty Hump. This is assumed to be true as no other
> proof has been offered to dispute this fact. Another charcter likely
> to be Shock G is MC Blowfish.

This is true, according to an interview with him in SF Weekly. (He is
MC Blowfish too.)

Michael Brown

May 8, 1992, 8:06:33 AM5/8/92
In article <1992May8.0...@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu> bsza...@oucsace.cs.ohio

u.edu (Bill Szabrak) writes:

>d i g i t a l u n d e r g r o u n d
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> <The Ultimate Diskography> [v 1.0] (5/4/92)

Doowutchyalike was released as a 12" (TB 955) and as a promo CD5 (TBCD 955 PRO)
...I don't have the 12" any more but the CD5 has:

Doowutchyalike (radio mix) 4:46
Doowutchyalike (raw fusion mix) 4:14
Doowutchyalike (playhowyalike mix) 8:51

Mike Brown
mjb...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

acee agoyo

May 8, 1992, 3:55:40 PM5/8/92
>2pac - Tupac Shakur

> 12" Singles - "Trapped" (b/w ????)
> (And Videos) "Brenda's Got a Baby" (b/w ????)

The B-side of Trapped/Brenda's Got a Baby are the instrumentals of those
songs. What about "If My Homie Calls?" I know that is a 12".

"Chuck said many, Rakim said plenty"
acee agoyo