Totally Unofficial Rap-Dictionary (Bi-weekly Posting, part 2/2)

Niels Janssen

May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95

I N T E R N E T ' S T O T A L L Y U N O F F I C I A L

R A P D I C T I O N A R Y

Hi,

This is the second part of the bi-weekly posting of the Totally Unofficial
Rap Dictionary to alt.rap. It is extracted from the WWW version accessible
at:

http://www.sci.kun.nl/thalia/rapdict/dict_en.html

This part contains dictionary-related items, like some rap geography,
a who-is-who part and a wishlist for the dictionary.

Please help making this list more complete. If it wasn't for the help of
the UseNet alt.rap community, this list wouldn't be one percent of its
current size. Feel free to use or to contribute to this list. I don't
want anyone (including myself) to use this list for financial gain, though.

GEOGRAPHY
=========
Rappers often mention placenames in their lyrics. If you are not from
around the way, you can train your geography skills here.

Al B Square Mall
Albee Square Mall in Brooklyn - Bizmarkie

Bed Stuy
Bedford Stuyverson section of Brooklyn. Also called The Stuy.

Bronx
New York City borough. Origin of Boogie Down Productions. "My
posse from the Bronx is hip" -- Boogie Down Productions (???).

Brooklyn
New York City borough. "No sleep till Brooklyn!" --
Beastie Boys (No sleep till Brooklyn [1987]).

B-Town
Berkeley, California.

Bay Plaza
Movie theatre in the Bronx - Nice and Smooth.

Chilltown
Jersey City, Double XX Posse.

ChiTown
Chicago.

Compton
Los Angeles borough. This is where the gangsta style was born.

CPT
Phonebook abbreviation for Compton.

Crooklyn
See Brooklyn.

Farmers Boulevard
Street in the New York City borough of Queens. Home of L.L. Cool J.
"Farmers Boulevard, that's where the crib's at, that's where me
and E. hang out." -- L.L. Cool J. (???)

Felt Forum
New York boxing arena, many prominent New York City boxers
have boxed there.

Fillmore
San Francisco district.

Forty Deuce
42nd street, Manhattan.

H-Town
Houston.

HP
Hunter's Point, a San Francisco district.

Illtown
East-orange, NJ. Home of Naughty By Nature, Queen Latifah, Fugees.

LA
Los Angeles. In particular the phrase "LA 1992" indicates
the riots that broke out after the Rodney King trial.

LBC
Phonebook abbreviation for Long Beach, California. "With so much
drama in the LBC" -- Snoop Doggy Dogg (Gin and Juice).

Medina
Second most holy city of Islam; Nickname for Brooklyn.

Moneyearnin' Mount Vernon
Shabazz, 4th ave, 3rd street. One of the worst corners in
Mount Vernon - hood hang out, dealers, addicts and Shabazz-
Betty Shabazz ownes a very small fast food place. Heavy D.,
Pete Rock and CL Smooth - 77 hillside straight up columbus hill
make a left in Mount Vernon.

Newark
Brick City. Home of RedMan, LUTOG, Artifacts, Channel Live,
T-neck, Das Efx.

Now Rule
New Rochelle NY, a suburb of NYC, borders Mount Vernon.
Origin of Grand Puba and Brand Nubian.

O-Town
Orlando.

Oaktown, the big O, the O
Oakland, California. The Westside O and the Eastside O stand for
West and East Oakland

P-Town
Paterson.

Philly
Philadelphia. Home of Schoolly D., Da Youngstas and the Fresh Prince.

Queens
New York City borough. RUN-DMC are often referred to as the Kings
from Queens.

Seatown
Seattle.

Sucka Free
San Francisco.

The Shao-Lin
Staten Island.

Strong island
Long island.

South Central
Los Angeles area. A very important place for gangsta rap.
Origin of a lot of rappers.

Trenton
Home of the old schoolrappers, PRT.

Union Square
(1) Area in New York City around 14th street and Broadway.
Origin of Kid n Play.
(2) A hip-hop club from the late 1980's in the above
area. (The name of this routine is called live
at Union Square. - KRS One)

V-Town
Vallejo, California.

Whitestone
Movie theatre in the Bronx - Diamond D.

White castle
Hamburger chain; open crazy late, some fine hoods there.
They at least have it in New York and Chicago. "From here to
White castle" -- Beastie Boys (Hold it now))

NAMES
=====
"My name is Chris Parker, KRS-One for short" -- KRS-One. Not everyone is
so clear about his or her real name. Here is a list of names we could get
our hands on.

2Pac
Tupac Amaru Shakur

-- A --
AJ Shine
Joseph Simmons (The Roots)

Ali Dee
Ali Theodore

AMG
Jason Lewis

A-Plus 1
Adam Carter (Wreckx-n-Effect)

ATCQ
A Tribe Called Quest

A-T-L
Above the Law

-- B --
BDP
Boogie Down Productions

Big Daddy Kane
Antonio Hardy

Biz Markie
Marcel Hall

Black Thought
Tariq Trotter (The Roots)

Bobby Konders
Robert Livingston

Bootie Brown
Romye Robinson (Pharcyde)

Bosco Money
Keith Carabello

Boss
Lichelle Laws

B-Real
Louis Freese (Cypress Hill)

Breeze
Morgan Rodriguez

B.R.O.Ther ?
Ahmir Thompson (The Roots)

Brother Marquis
Mark Ross

Buckshot
Kenyatta Blake

Butta
Ishmael Butler (Digable Planets)

-- C --
Casanova Rud
Erik Rudnicki

Casual
John Owens (Hieroglyphics)

Chilli
Rozonda Thomas (TLC)

Chubb Rock
Richard Simpson

Chuck D.
Carlton Ridenhour (Public Enemy)

Chuch Nice
Walter Griggs (Three Times Dope)

C-Knowledge
Craig Irving (Digable Planets)

CL
Corey Penn

Common Sense
Rashied Lynn

Cool C
Chris Coney

Coolio
Art Ivey

Cowboy
Keith Wiggings

Craig G
Craig Curry

Cut Creator
Mr. Philpot (LL Cool J's DJ)

-- D --
Danny Boy
Daniel O'Connor (House of Pain)

Davy D.
David Reeves

Daze
Tyree Lopes

Del tha Funky Homosapien
Teren Delvon Jones, founding member of the Heiroglyphics.

Derek B.
Derek Boland

Diamond
Joe Kirkland

Diamond X
Dyonna Lewis (Silk Tymes Leather)

DJ Daddy
Richard Lawson

DJ Eddie F.
Edward Ferrell

DJ Jazzy Jeff
Jeffrey Townes

DJ Lethal
Leor DiMant (House of Pain)

DJ Muggs
Larry Muggerud (Cypress Hill)

DJ Premier
Chris Martin (Gang Starr)

DJ Woody Wood
Duerward Beale (Three Times Dope)

DMC
Darryl McDaniels (Run-DMC)

D-Nasty
Daryl W. Monroe (The UBC)

D-Nice
Derek Jones

The DOC
Trey Curry

Doitall
Dupre Kelly (Lords of the Underground)

Domino
Darren Siguenza (Hiero One)

Donald D.
Donald Lamont

Dove
Dave Jolicoeur (De La Soul)

Dr. Dre
Andre Young. (N.W.A.) Dre is Warren G's half-brother, they share the
same mother.

Dr. Dre
Andre Brown (Yo MTV Raps)

Drayz
A. Weston

Dres
Andres Titus

D-Square
Dwayne Sumal (Boogie Down Productions)

-- E --
E-40
Earl Stevens

Eazy E.
Eric Wright (N.W.A.)

Ecstacy
John Fletcher (Whodini)

E Devious
Marco Ennis (Almighty RSO)

Ed Lover
James Roberts

EPMD
Eric and Parish Makin' Dollars

Eric B.
Louis Eric Barrier

Eskispectacular
Ian P. Richmond (The UBC)

Est
Robert Waller

Everlast
Eric Schrody (House of Pain)

Extra P.
William Paul Mitchell

-- F --
Fab Five Freddy
Fred Braithwaite

Fashion
Berntony Smalls (The Beatnuts)

Fat Joe
Joseph Cartagena

Fatlip
Derek Stewart (Pharcyde)

Flavor Flav
William Drayton (Public Enemy)

Frankie Cutlass
Francis Michael Parker

Fresh Kid Ice
Chris Wongwon

The Fresh Prince
Will Smith. Actor in TV-series "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air".

-- G --
Ghostface Killer
Dennis Coles (Wu-Tang Clan)

Grandmaster Dee
Drew Carter (Whodini)

Grandmaster Flash
Joseph Sadler

Grand Puba
Maxwell Dixon

Greg Nice
Greg Mays

Guru
Keith Elam (Gang Starr), went earlier by the name of Keithy E.

G-Whiz
Glen Parrish (Heavy D & The Boyz)

-- H --
Half A Mill
Jasun Ward

(MC) Hammer
Stanley Burrell

Harmony
Pamela Scott

Heavy D.
Dwight Myers

HOP
House of Pain

Humpty Hump
Edward Humphrey III

-- I --
Ice Cube
O'Shea Jackson

Ice-T
Tracy Marrow

Icey Jaye
Jay McGowan

Imani
Emandu Wilcox (Pharcyde)

-- J --
Jah Skilz
J. Carthorn

Jalil
Jalil Hutchins (Whodini)

Jam Master Jay
Jason Mizzell (Run-DMC)

Jazzy Jeff
Jeffrey Townes

Jeru
Kendrick Jeru Davis

Juju
Jerry Tineo (The Beatnuts)

-- K --
Kam
Craig A. Miller

Kaos
Mark Freitas

Kay Gee
Kier Gist (Naughty by Nature)

K-Cut
Kevin McKenzie (Main Source)

K-Def
Kevin Hansford

Keithy E
See Guru.

Kid
Christopher Reid (Kid 'N Play)

King Ad-Rock
Adam Horovitz (Beastie Boys)

King Tee
Roger McBride

Kool G Rap
Nathaniel Wilson

Kool Moe Dee
Mohammed DeWeese

Krazy Drayz
Andre Weston (Das)

KRS One
Lawrence Krisna Parker. Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone.

K-Solo
Kevin Madison

Kwame
Kwame Holland (A new beginning)

-- L --
Leather
Jocelyn Rabon (Silk Tymes Leather)

Left Eye
Lisa Lopes (TLC)

The Lench Mob
The Lench Mob consists of Ice Cube, Sir Jinx, T-Bone J-Dee Shorty
Threi, Big Tom, Wess, Zulu Ed, Heavy, K-Dee, Kam, Chilly Chill, Yo-Yo,
Taz and Big Cal (source: Death Certificate insert).

L.L. Cool J
James Todd Smith

Little Daddy Shane
Clayton Hardy

Lord Jazz
Bruce Colston (Lords of the Underground)

LOTUG
Lords of the Underground

Luke Skyywalker
Luther Campbell (2 Live Crew)

-- M --
Maestro Fresh Wes
Wesley Williams

Malik B
Malik Basset (The Roots)

Marly Marl
Marlon Williams

Mase
Vincent L. Mason Jr. (De La Soul)

Master Ace
Duval Clear

MC ADE
Adrian Hines

MC Breed
Eric Breed

MC Eiht
Aaron Tyler

MC Hammer
Stanley Kirk Burrell

MC Lyte
Lana Moorer

MC Ren
Lorenzo Patterson (N.W.A.)

MC Serch
Michael Berrin (3rd Bass)

MC Shan
Shawn Moltke

MC Solaar
Claude Barali

MCA
Adam Yauch (Beastie Boys)

Mecca
Mary Ann Vierra (Digable Planets)

Melle Mel
Melvin Glover

Michie Mee
Michelle McCullock

Mike Air
Michael G. Dolvin (The UBC)

Mista Lawnge
William McLean

Mix Master Muggs
See DJ Muggs

Mike D.
Mike Diamond (Beastie Boys)

Monie Love
Simone Johnson

Mr. Funkyman
Al'Terik Wardrick (Lords of the Underground)

Mr. Mixx
David Hobbs

Mr. Muhammed
Ali Shaheed Muhammad

Ms. Melodie
Ramona Parker (Boogie Down Productions)

-- N --
Nas
Nasir Jones

Nate Dogg
Nathan Broadus

N.W.A.
Niggaz With Attitude

-- O --
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Russell Jones

O.C.
Omar Credle

-- P --
P-Dog
See Paris

Paris
Oscar Jackson Jr.

PE
Public Enemy

Pepa
Sandra Denton (Salt-N-Pepa)

Pete Nice
Peter J. Nash

Pete Rock
Pete Phillips

Phife
Malik Taylor (A Tribe Called Quest)

Play
Christopher Martin (Kid 'N Play)

Pos
Kevin Mercer (De La Soul)

Primo
Carlton Martin

Prince Paul
Paul Huston

Prince Rakeem the RZA
Robert Diggs (Wu-Tang Clan)

Professor Griff
Richard Griffin (Public Enemy)

Psycho Les
Lester Fernandez (The Beatnuts)

Puba
See Grand Puba.

-- Q --
Q-Tip
Jonathan Davis (A Tribe called Quest)

Queen Latifah
Dana Owens

-- R --
Rahiem
Guy Todd Williams

Rakim
William Griffin

Ray Boogie
Ray Ramos (Evil Twins)

Ray Dogg
Raymond Scott (Almighty RSO)

Redhead Kingpin
David Guppy

Redman
Reggie Noble

Richie Rich
See DJ Daddy

Rob Base
Rog Ginyard

Run
Joseph Simmons (Run-DMC). Run's brother, Russel Simmons is the founder
of Def Jam records among other things.

-- S --
Salt
Cheryl James (Salt-N-Pepa)

Sam Sever
Sam Citrin

Scarface
Brad Jordan

Sen Dog
Senen Reyes (Cypress Hill)

Shah
Ali Shaheed Muhammad (A Tribe Called Quest)

Shinehead
E.C. Aiken Jr.

Shock G/Shockalock
Greg Jacobs

Shorty No Mas
Terresa Thompson

Silk
Vickie Jordan (Silk Tymes Leather)

Sir Scratch
Shawn McKenzie (Main Source)

Skoob
Willie Hines (Das)

Slick Rick
Ricky Walters

Slim Kid 3
Trevant Hardson (Pharcyde)

Snoop Doggy Dogg
Calvin Broadus

Snow
Darrin O'Brien

Snupe
Duane Lee (Hieroglyphics)

Spinderella
Deedee Roper (Salt-N-Pepa)

Special Ed
Edward Archer

Steady B.
Warren McGlone

Super Cat
William Maragh

Super Lover C
Calente Fredericks

Super Rhymes
Jimmy Spicer

-- T --
Tajai
Tajai Massey (Hieroglyphics)

T-Boz
Tionne Watkins (TLC)

Terminator X
Norman Rogers (Public Enemy)

Tim Dog
Timothy Blair

Tone Loc
Anthony Smith

Tony D
Tony Dofat

Tony Rhome
Anthony Johnson (Almighty RSO)

Too $hort
Todd Shaw

Tragedy, The Intelligent Hoodlum
Percy Chapman

Treach
Anthony Criss (Naughty by Nature)

Triple X
Tomie James

Trouble T-Roy
Troy Dickson (Heavy D & The Boyz)

Trugoy
See Dove

-- U --
Uncle L
See L.L. Cool J

-- V --
Vanilla Ice
Robert van Winkle

Vinny
Vinny Brown (Naughty by Nature)

-- W --
Warren G.
Warren Griffin. Warren is Dr. Dre's half-brother, they have the
same mother.

-- Y --
Ynot
Toni Craig

Young MC
Marvin Young

YoYo
Yolanda Whitaker

WISHLIST
========
Below is a list of things that we are still too insecure about to enter
them in the Dictionary. If you know more than us, or if you have something
to add to this wishlist, let us know!

dirf
In Eazy E's "Real Muthaphuckking G's".

Years!
For some of the quoted lyrics we have managed to come up with the
year of release of the album. If you recognize a quote and have
the album, be a dear and let us know...

Names!
We want to know as many names of as many rap artists as possible.
Also which group contained which people, background on people,
stuff like that. Heck, even gossip will do! Currently we're looking
for:
Cut Creator (L.L. Cool J's DJ). We've established his last
name is Philpot. But his first name?
Deuce's first name
DJ Qui
R-Beesh from Potna
Soon E MC

Photo's!
We'd love to have photo's of artists next to their name in the
names list. If you have some lying around, give 'em a scan, and
mail them to us.

---> Jax! <---
email : nie...@sci.kun.nl

Kelly Robinson

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95
to nie...@sci.kun.nl
I'm glad y'all are having such a good time with this...

It's shit like this that get true heads so fucking uptight with the growth
of hip-hop to the mainstream. Y'all always want to analysis and dissect shit.
If you get it good, if you don't then obviously it ain't for you to understand,
so move on to something else.

no peace.
KC in the CHI

Jersey Represent!

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95
Word up dun. If you don't speak it, don't know it, then it ain't for
you obviously. What is the purpose of that bullshit ass dictionary anyway
, to give the whites here a means of understanding? To help those who
aren't "down" get up on it? That is something that belongs in a
newsgroup like alt.white.understanding-rap. I don't think anyone else
has any use for it. And you wonder why headz is always so fuckin mad.
Cause those herbs who don't speak it, know it, they gonna be kissing your
ass. "Thanks gee, on the DL you put me on son." What's is your
problem? No I ain't racist for all you whites out there either, but
you can ....

--
Christopher Billups Jr. "they say they just wanna question you, but me and
gt0...@prism.gatech.edu you know, that once they catch you, all they do is

bi...@wittenberg.edu

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95

How about this one......

Loser
a person who tries to be down but ends up making himself look like an
ass in doing so.

Yall got me real fucked up with this one. I can't believe yall mutha
fuckas....please don't do this bullshit any more. I thought this group was for
the real headz. Damn, i guess not. In the future could yall assume that
everyone in this group either knows, or wants to know what you posted, because
I'm sure I'm speaking for at least 90% of the people in this piece when i say i
could care less about your dictionary. Not to mention the length of the shit,
1000 + lines?

Anyone else agree?
Peace
Big Al

Paul Sarkar

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95
In article <1995Jun...@wittenberg.edu> bi...@wittenberg.edu writes:

>How about this one......
>
>Loser
> a person who tries to be down but ends up making himself look like an
> ass in doing so.
>
>Yall got me real fucked up with this one. I can't believe yall mutha
>fuckas....please don't do this bullshit any more. I thought this group was for
>the real headz. Damn, i guess not. In the future could yall assume that

To whoever posted that listing, in the future, could I suggest you
simply post the web-site or ftp address so those who need the 411 can
download it or Netscape it or whatever.

I know it was posted with good intent, so this is not to diss.

And Big Al, and the rest, hey, it's just information, it can't hurt.

Take care,

Paul

Tero Paananen

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95
In <3qlfbp$m...@acmex.gatech.edu> gt0...@prism.gatech.edu (Jersey Represent!) writes:

>ass. "Thanks gee, on the DL you put me on son." What's is your
>problem? No I ain't racist for all you whites out there either, but
>you can ....

Maybe you missed a little point that the dictionary is done by some dudes
in the Netherlands. Maybe you also missed a little point that some of
the non-english speaking (as in native language) people would like to
once in a while understand what the lyrics actually are saying.

I can't see one reason to try to dis (excuse the lingo) someone for
this.

-TPP

Patrick Atoon

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95
Kelly Robinson <robinsnk> claimed:

>It's shit like this that get true heads so fucking uptight with the growth
>of hip-hop to the mainstream. Y'all always want to analysis and dissect shit.
>If you get it good, if you don't then obviously it ain't for you to understand,
>so move on to something else.

Ah, I take it then that you are also not interested in the history
of your own culture? After all, to know it, it is necessary to
analyze and dissect it. What you are proposing here, is to live in
ignorance. Well, you may do as you please, but don't expect me to
follow you. What if your teachers in school would have said "Well,
if you get what's written here, good, if you don't well, it isn't
for you to understand" in reading class.

In a way we (Niels and I) are paying the hip-hop culture respect by
keeping track of a fraction of it, so that many may learn from (or
sometimes of) it. In no way are we trying to disrespect the hip-hop
culture.

>no peace.
>KC in the CHI

Like Darth Vader said: "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."

Greetings,

Patrick

Steve Jackson

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95

Simple solution: Just do what I do, skip it. I understand most o' y'all and i
I know y'all understand me so stop bein' so damn petty. Damn, some people
gets to damn worked up over the littlest shit.

"da One & Only"
DJ Jazzman

Hootie Hoo!!!

"I have a tendency to defend an MC..."

-- Malik B, Proceed II

Steve Jackson

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95

BTW, I joined this group waaaayyyyy back in January and this is the first I've
heard of someone disagreeing with the Rap Dictionary. Why?

Patrick Atoon

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95
Jersey Represent! (gt0...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:

>In article <3ql5p4$6...@newdelph.cig.mot.com> Kelly Robinson <robinsnk> writes:
>

>>so move on to something else.
>

>Word up dun. If you don't speak it, don't know it, then it ain't for
>you obviously.

I guess you too have never heard of "learning" and "education". All you
are now has come to you through learning from others. In some cases from
what you saw around you, but in other cases from works of people who
spent much time on concentrating knowledge for you to ingest.

> What is the purpose of that bullshit ass dictionary anyway
>, to give the whites here a means of understanding? To help those who
>aren't "down" get up on it? That is something that belongs in a
>newsgroup like alt.white.understanding-rap. I don't think anyone else
>has any use for it.

Excuse me, Mr. I-live-in-the-centre-of-the-world-called-the-US-of-A,
but only a small part of the world speaks English, let alone the slang
portrayed in rap. Have you ever considered the fact that there are
non-native English speakers who like to listen to rap music(*) but
who can only understand parts of the lyrics?

The Rap Dictionary is a FAQ in disguise; back in the days people
asked questions like "what is this or that" on a regular basis in
alt.rap. By keeping the Dictionary we keep those postings to a
minimum, as try other FAQ's in other newsgroups.

> And you wonder why headz is always so fuckin mad.
>Cause those herbs who don't speak it, know it, they gonna be kissing your

>ass. "Thanks gee, on the DL you put me on son." What's is your
>problem? No I ain't racist for all you whites out there either, but
>you can ....

You aren't racist, but somehow, out of the blue the term "whites"
popped up. Sha right, and Dan Quayle knows how to spell "potato"...

>Christopher Billups Jr.

Greetings,

Patrick

(*) That is how I define "being down", if one truly likes rap music,
I consider him down. You define it (seemingly) as "(a) being non-white,
(b) living in the USG (look it up in the Dictionary if you don't
know what I mean), and probably (c) live a life of crime."

Patrick Atoon

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95
Big Al (bi...@wittenberg.edu) writes:

>How about this one......
>
>Loser
> a person who tries to be down but ends up making himself look like an
> ass in doing so.

Well, why don't we try to determine what "being down" stands for,
in the first place?

>Yall got me real fucked up with this one. I can't believe yall mutha
>fuckas....please don't do this bullshit any more. I thought this group was for
>the real headz.

"The real headz", now there's a term in need of a definition. Are you
a real head? Howcome? What did you do to deserve that title?

>I'm sure I'm speaking for at least 90% of the people in this piece when i say i
>could care less about your dictionary.

Perhaps for 90% of the people in your circle of friends. But hey,
they are probably "true headz" too, or not? Gosh, you must be soooo
lucky. Your 90% accounts for just a fraction of the responses we
get on the dictionary. Did you know that it some people out there
are using it as a guide to spell hip-hop words in their rap articles?

No you didn't. You see the Dictionary as an attack on your safe
haven of "true head"-hood. You can't see past your tiny world of
true headz. You should try to get out in the real world some time,
and discover that there is more on this earth.

>Anyone else agree?

Like you probably noticed, no, I don't agree. ;-)

>Peace
>Big Al

Greetings,

Patrick

Nesta

Jun 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/3/95
This is the most ridiculous shit I've ever read. This is what Aaron is talking
about. Get some intelligent conversations goin on here.

wta...@midway.uchicago.edu aka Geto Will
i love my music, i love myself, i love you, and you love me
one good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain