LYRICS: Grandmaster Flash/Furious Five "The Message"

Mark Murray

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

Track: The Message
Artist: Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Album: The Message
Year: 1982

Intro
-----

It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes we wonder
How I keep from goin' under x2

Verse 1
-------

Broken glass everywhere
People pissin' on the stairs, ya know they just don't care
I can't take the smell, can't take the noise
Got no money to move out, I guess I got no choice
Rats in the front room, roaches in the back
Junkies in the alley with the baseball bat
I tried to get away but I couldn't get far
Cos a man with a tow truck repossessed my car

Don't push me cos I'm close to the edge
I'm tryin' not to lose my head, uh-huh huh huh
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder
How I keep from going under

Verse 2
-------

Standin' on the front stoop, hangin' out the window
Watchin' all the cars go by, roarin' as the breezes blow
Crazy lady, livin' in a bag
Eatin' out of garbage pails, used to be a fag hag
Said she'll dance the tango, skip the light fandango
A zircon princess seemed to lost her senses
Down at the peepshow watchin' all the creeps
So she can tell her stories to the girls back home
She went to the city and got Social Security
She had to get a pimp, she couldn't make it on her own

Don't push me cos I'm close to the edge
I'm tryin' not to lose my head, uh-huh huh huh
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder
How I keep from going under
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder
How I keep from going under

Verse 3
-------

My brother's doin' passed on my mothers TV
Says she watches too much, it's just not healthy
All My Children in the daytime, Dallas at night
Can't even see the game or the Sugar Ray fight
The bill collectors, they ring my phone
And scare my wife when I'm not home
Got a bum education, double-digit inflation
Can't take the train to the job, there's a strike at the station
Neon King Kong standin' on my back
Can't stop to turn around, broke my sacroiliac
A midrange migraine, cancered membrane
Sometimes I think I'm goin' insane, I swear I might hijack a plane!

Don't push me cos I'm close to the edge
I'm tryin' not to lose my head
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder
How I keep from going under
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder
How I keep from going under

Verse 4
-------

My son said, "Daddy, I don't wanna go to school
Cos the teacher's a jerk, he must think I'm a fool
And all the kids smoke reefer, I think it'd be cheaper
If I just got a job, learned to be a street sweeper
I'd dance to the beat, shuffle my feet
Wear a shirt and tie and run with the creeps
Cos it's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny
You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey
They pushed that girl in front of the train
Took her to the doctor, sewed her arm on again
Stabbed that man right in his heart
Gave him a transplant for a brand new start
I can't walk through the park cos it's crazy after dark
Keep my hand on my gun cos they got me on the run
I feel like a outlaw, broke my last glass jaw
I hear them say, 'You want some more?', livin' on a see-saw"

Don't push me cos I'm close to the edge
I'm tryin' not to lose my head, say what?
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder
How I keep from going under x4

Verse 5
-------

A child is born with no state of mind
Blind to the ways of mankind
God is smilin' on you but he's frownin' too
Because only God knows what you'll go through
You'll grow in the ghetto livin' second rate
And your eyes will sing a song called deep hate
The places you play and where you stay
Looks like one great big alleyway
You'll admire all the numberbook takers
Thugs, pimps and pushers, and the big money-makers
Drivin' big cars spending 20's & 10's
And you wanna grow up to be just like them, huh
Smugglers, scramblers, burglars, gamblers
Pickpocket peddlers, even panhandlers
Ya say I'm cool, huh, I'm no fool
But then ya wind up dropping out of high school
Now you're unemployed, all non-void
Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd
Turned Stick-up Kid, but look what ya done did
Got sent up for a 8-year bid
Now your manhood is took and you're a May-tag
Spend the next two years as a undercover fag
Bein' used and abused and served like hell
Till one day you was found hung dead in the cell
It was plain to see that your life was lost
You was cold and your body swung back and forth
But now your eyes sing the sad sad song
Of how you lived so fast and died so young

So, don't push me cos I'm close to the edge
I'm tryin' not to lose my head, uh-huh huh huh
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder
How I keep from going under, huh uh-huh huh huh
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder
How I keep from going under, huh uh-huh huh huh

Transcription by:

Redz (TOEU...@aol.com)
Mark Murray (mi...@cowcud.demon.co.uk)

With corrections from: Known Universe (jlin...@mustang.uwo.ca)