THE NANCY HANKS

Kent Goldings

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

Does anyone out there know of a train called the Nancy Hanks. I think
it operated between Macon and Savannah, GA.

FRiherdG

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

The Central of Georgia operated the original NANCY HANKS between Atlanta
and Savannah, via Macon, from 01/22/1893 to 08/13/1893. NANCY HANKS was
scheduled to make the 294 mile run in 6:45. Apparently, it didn't survive
long because it couldn't keep the schedule. The NANCY was named for a
famous race horse of the day (the horse was named for Abraham Lincoln's mother).

In 1947, CofGA purchased 2 streamline trainsets. ACF built streamline
equipment was used on the NANCY HANKS II, which usually ran with a 4 or 5
car consist: Baggage Coach, Grill Lounge, and 2 or 3 56 seat coaches.

The NANCY (II, that is) was originally painted blue and grey. The cars
were unnamed. After Southern bought CofGA, the equipment was painted coach
green.

In the late '60s until her demise, NANCY carried a Dome Coach. First, it
was a former Wabash Pullman BLUE BIRD Dome Coach and, later, a former
Wabash ACF CITY OF ST. LOUIS Dome Coach.

NANCY made her last run out of Atlanta on the afternoon of 04/30/1971, led
by Savannah and Atlanta 750, a light Pacific type.

The 2d trainset was built by Budd and used on the MAN O' WAR, between
Atlanta and Columbus. Also named for a famous race horse, this 4 car
stainless steel set originally made 2 round trips a day on the 117 mile,
2:55, run (468 miles a day, with 11 stops each way - that's utilization!).

The consist included a Baggage Coach (Fort Mitchell), 2 Coaches (Fort
Oglethorpe, McPherson) and Tavern Observation (Fort Benning.

A good source for more info. and many photos, try to find a copy of CofGA
Railway Album, by Forrest Beckum and Al Langley.

FG

Alan Follett

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

Does anyone else find it a little surprising that a Central of Georgia
train in 1947, and still more so in one in1893, would have been named
after Abraham Lincoln's mother, even at second hand by way of a
racehorse? I remember an aunt from Florida, as late as the 1950's,
professing to be shocked at the presence of a statue of Lincoln in a
Chicago park. Surely an elderly aunt wouldn't have just been pulling
our damnyankee legs?

Alan Follett

Carl H. Fowler

Oct 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/27/97
to Gat...@together.net, Bre...@together.net, Bar...@together.net, Wh...@together.net, A...@gator.net

Kent Goldings wrote:

> Does anyone out there know of a train called the Nancy Hanks. I think
>
> it operated between Macon and Savannah, GA.

This was the "crack" train of the Central of GEorgia RR. The Nancy
Hanks II ran from Atlanta through Macon to Savannah, and lasted right up
to Amtrak day, May 1, 1971. The train was a very nice little "pocket"
streamliner offering reclining seat coaches and full meal service in a
Grill-lounge car. There has been frequent discussion within Georgia of
restoring this train, but so far nothing has actually happened.

Krel

Oct 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/28/97

> >In 1947, CofGA purchased 2 streamline trainsets. ACF built streamline
> >equipment was used on the NANCY HANKS II, which usually ran with a 4 or
5
> >car consist: Baggage Coach, Grill Lounge, and 2 or 3 56 seat coaches.
> >
> >The NANCY (II, that is) was originally painted blue and grey. The cars
> >were unnamed. After Southern bought CofGA, the equipment was painted
coach
> >green.
> >

> >NANCY made her last run out of Atlanta on the afternoon of 04/30/1971,
led
> >by Savannah and Atlanta 750, a light Pacific type.
> >
> >The 2d trainset was built by Budd and used on the MAN O' WAR, between
> >Atlanta and Columbus. Also named for a famous race horse, this 4 car
> >stainless steel set originally made 2 round trips a day on the 117 mile,
> >2:55, run (468 miles a day, with 11 stops each way - that's
utilization!).

> >The consist included a Baggage Coach (Fort Mitchell), 2 Coaches (Fort
> >Oglethorpe, McPherson) and Tavern Observation (Fort Benning.
> >
> >A good source for more info. and many photos, try to find a copy of
CofGA
> >Railway Album, by Forrest Beckum and Al Langley.

In March 1961 NH11 left Savannah at 7.20am arrived Atlanta 1.20pm, left at
6.15pm and arrived back in Savannah at 12.10am.
Man O'War ran Atlanta 10.15am Columbus 1.15pm - 3.20pm Atlanta 6.05pm.

In March 1961 the timetable for NANCY HANKS II noted that "Seats for white
passengers reserved.".
I assume that this was legal because it was an intrastate train and, thus,
not under federal law. Did any other trains on any other railroads have
similar restrictions ? When did the restriction end ? (just curious).

--
Cheers Krel

The Law of Inverse Proportions - The chances of the signal clearing
without having to get out of the cab and go to a lineside phone is inversly
proportional to the amount of rain falling at the time :-)

Todd Scott

Aug 13, 2022, 6:24:46 PM8/13/22
It was actually named after a famous race horse