Nacy Hanks

alto_tower

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

RE: THE NANCY HANKS
BY: Gators Breath Barley Whine A...@gator.net

>Does anyone out there know of a train called the Nancy Hanks. I think
>it operated between Macon and Savannah, GA.

I think it ran between Atlanta and Savannah. There's an old poem that went
something like:

Some folks say the Nancy can't run,
But let me tell you what the Nancy done.
She left Atlanta at half past one
and got to Savannah by the setting of the sun.
The Nancy, she run so fast,
she burnt the wind and scorched the grass.

I seem to recall there may have been a Macon connection also.

Alto

* This Message Written from The Trading Post [SOUTH] WWIV BBS! *
* 803-731-0690 * WWIV Support BBS! * SIGs, Files, Games, More! *
* Located: Columbia, South Carolina * United States Of America *
* WWIVNet @6100 * Filenet @350 * Fidonet 1:376/126 * Internet! *
* For Information, E-mail the SysOp at MOR...@WORLDNET.ATT.NET *
* Check out our home page at www.dark-star.com/morgul/ttps.htm *

ClvlMurray

Oct 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/28/97

The Nancy Hanks operated from Atlanta to Savannah on the Central of Georgia
from just after WWII until the startup of Amtrak. It was a pocket
streamliner, seldom more than 5 cars in length, using ACF equipment and
usually powered by an E-7. It was in the blue and gray CofG colors until that
road was taken over by Southern, then in Pullman Green thereafter. On its
final run (and it always ran through Macon, by the way), it was powered for
the first thirty miles or so out of Atlanta by #750, the Savannah and Atlanta
4-6-2 owned by the Atlanta NRHS chapter. The E-7 took over from there.

While Southern did not initially join Amtrak, the Central did. Southern
absorbed the Nancy Hanks and Man of War (Atlanta-Columbus stainless steel
train) equipment onto its roster, and the E-7's were retired. They were as
rusted out as old Buicks by that time anyway.

This is probably a whole lot more than you wanted to know about the Nancy
Hanks!

David Murray

PFitzgi303

Oct 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/28/97

>>Does anyone out there know of a train called the Nancy Hanks. I think
>>it operated between Macon and Savannah, GA.

Nancy Hanks was operated by the Central of Georgia, which was wholely owned by
the Southern Ry.

Paul
pfitz...@aol.com

scu...@me.net

Oct 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/30/97

test

GColl17261

Oct 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/31/97

It ran between Atlanta and Savannah when Central of Georgia was independent and
continued after the SRS takeover.
GColl17261

Denis F Blake

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

Some of the cars are preserved in Savannah GA at the vistors
center which is located in the old CofG station.

Denis
SAL SIG
TTHOTS

chrom...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2020, 1:01:50 AM3/27/20
My pops nick named me Nancy Hanks at birth cause I'm named Nancy too so I YouTubed the old train from Savannah where he raised himself in the streets from 6 years old & on and found myself standing as one of the last passengers to get off Nancy Hanks that day in 1908... I got more than I bargained for that day...I have pic of her in 1908 and me around her same age in 1978 I can show you if you like