Scanning Ebook for Download

David Norris

Jul 27, 2013, 7:00:02 AM7/27/13

Hi, I just thought some of you might be interested in this. It's
reasonably up to date. (Still I hope that some DMR capable scanners will
appear - although manufacturers have always been behind the times. For
example, it's been about 15 years now since the civil airbnd was
extended to 137 MHz, yet some new scanners still end the bandstage at
136, annoying mainly since 8 1/3 KHz tuning steps normally cannot be
used outside the 108 to 136 MHz bandstage).

With any luck a section on setting up a standalone DMR scanner may
appear. I know that if you have a PC and a scanner with a descriminator
output you can decode this way, but who wants to be tethered to a PC all
the time?

Another criticism is that we will always play second fiddle to our
fellow scanner enthusiasts across the pond for one reason and one reason
alone - notwithstanding the annoyance of the ECPA, when dealing with the
USA market, scanner manufacturers listen to what their customers want.
When it comes to the UK and other countries, we have to pick up the
crumbs from the USA's plate. As an example, bandstages are nearly always
matching US bandplans, and all to often on cheaper units you are stuck
with annoying 5KHz tuning steps over much of the spectrum (I cannot
think of any 5KHz spaced channels over here, and even 10HKz channeling
is very rare).

When I owned my first scanner everything was very straightforward; there
were no trunked systems and no digital radios. Still I laugh at those
doom merchants who say the hobby is dead - try running a search every
once in a while, be patient and see what turns up. Fisherman do not
expect to get a bite ten seconds after casting after all! I feel those
who never run a search are those who, in the stone age, would have sat
around waiting for the hunters to return with the food.

Ok moan over. Here is the URL: http://www.cotexfood-trading.com/radio/ .

Mainly its written from a UK perspective, though much if not most of the
information other than bandplans would apply whereever you are.

Any questions, just reply or drop me an email.

Cheers David

David Norris

Jul 31, 2013, 5:56:35 AM7/31/13
Hi, I just thought that some of you might be interested in this.
Let me know what you think.
Cheers, David

--
DN