"Nightfall" 25th Anniversary

Nightfall-25

Jul 4, 2005, 1:29:16 PM7/4/05
Twenty-five years ago today the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, during a
new age of creativity and financial buoyancy for radio drama, launched what
has been labeled by some as "the most terrifying series ever made" for
radio, "Nightfall".

Three years ago I discovered this series, thanks to a friend, and became
fascinated with it. I started looking for the people who made it -- the
writers, the production people, the actors -- and found that many of them
were still around and happy to talk about their work. Before long this
casual interest exploded into a deeply-rooted obsession and now, three
years, scores of phone interviews, and one summer trip to Toronto later, on
the 25th anniversary of the show's premiere, I am launching Nightfall-25: a
website devoted to the series.

There's still a lot of work to do on the site. It's an on-going project
that's nowhere near finished, but there's all ready a ton of information
there: FAQs, press releases, a project LiveJournal, a discussion forum, a
guest register, a library of some of the short stories adapted for the
series, the beginnings of a cast/crew biography area, a gallery for
"Nightfall"-inspired art/music/writing, and an ever-growing Episode Guide.

I've had a lot of help from people, especially some of the regulars here,
who have contributed their own stories, research and questions for the
project. The format of the site is conducive to visitors making their own
contributions. This way fans *and* "Nightfall" cast and crew members can put
in their own two cents. We're also looking for people interested in
contributing to the Episode Guide by writing up detailed plot descriptions,
reviews and so forth.

So, whether you're a fan of "Nightfall" or just someone interested in
supernatural/horror radio drama, drop by the site and explore a little:
http://www.Nightfall-25.com. I think you'll enjoy it.

Remember: Careful ... of the Edge!

Neil Marsh

---
Neil Marsh, Director
The Nightfall-25 Project

Ne...@Nightfall-25.com - Direct E-mail
Nightf...@gmail.com - Alternate E-mail

Nightfall-25 Website: http://www.Nightfall-25.com
Nightfall-25 Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nightfall_25

"In the dream you are falling, lost in the listening distance, as dark locks
in ... it's Nightfall!"

Austotr

Jul 4, 2005, 5:47:47 PM7/4/05

> So, whether you're a fan of "Nightfall" or just someone interested in
> supernatural/horror radio drama, drop by the site and explore a little:
> http://www.Nightfall-25.com. I think you'll enjoy it.
>
> Remember: Careful ... of the Edge!
>
> Neil Marsh

Fantastic site Neil, keep up the good work!

Ian

Nightfall-25

Jul 4, 2005, 6:22:33 PM7/4/05
"Austotr" <aus...@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

>> So, whether you're a fan of "Nightfall" or just someone interested in
>> supernatural/horror radio drama, drop by the site and explore a little:
>> http://www.Nightfall-25.com. I think you'll enjoy it.
>>
> Fantastic site Neil, keep up the good work!

Thanks, Ian! I'll do my best. :)

-N25

Y Know

Jul 4, 2005, 10:35:36 PM7/4/05
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:29:16 -0400, Y Know took a sip and read what
"Nightfall-25" <Ne...@Nightfall-25.com> wrote:

>Twenty-five years ago today the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, during a
>new age of creativity and financial buoyancy for radio drama, launched what
>has been labeled by some as "the most terrifying series ever made" for
>radio, "Nightfall".

Neil

Congratulations on the launch of the site - it looks terrific! I am
sure that this site will become a mecca for the fans of this legendary
CBC series!

As an aside, radio drama and 'scary' stories are still alive at the
CBC. This past Friday night saw the launch of 'Deep Night' - a summer
anthology of scary dramas.

All the best

Archie
Y Know
"A Bottle A Day Sure Empties the Cellar Quickly"

Antispam in effect - remove the xxx to reply.

Phillip Pearson

Jul 5, 2005, 2:02:05 AM7/5/05
    Cool site, Neil.  I book marked it and will return weekly.

Phil
Message has been deleted

Y Know

Jul 5, 2005, 4:34:12 PM7/5/05
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:12:55 GMT, Y Know took a sip and read what
wowfabgroovy <wowfab...@wowmail.com> wrote:

>Y Know <YK...@xxxrogers.com> went:

>>As an aside, radio drama and 'scary' stories are still alive at the
>>CBC. This past Friday night saw the launch of 'Deep Night' - a summer
>>anthology of scary dramas.
>

>will you be posting them somewhere for us foreigners?

Hi wfg!

It has been awhile since we last spoke.

This is what was broadcast last week.

Friday nights are a great time to sit back and relax with a good scary
story. And this summer, CBC Radio One is there to provide it for you.
Tonight on Deep Night, "Someone Just for Me" by Michael O'Brien. Julie
Stewart (Cold Squad) plays a lawyer who gets a call from someone she
had long forgotten about, a childhood acquaintance with a history of
psychological disturbances. Sharon needs to talk to Maureen about an
episode from their past, a cruel prank turned sinister, that has had
very disturbing results for her. That's on Deep Night, tonight after
the ten p.m. news (10:30 NT) on CBC Radio One.

I captured it and still have it sitting in wav format on my HD.

I am so disgusted with all the stuff in radio.misc these, any thing
interesting is lost in a sea of talk radio.

What group would you suggest for 'Deep Night"?

Nightfall-25

Jul 5, 2005, 5:22:23 PM7/5/05
Archie,

I didn't realize there was anything new coming down the pipe other than the
pilot for "Emmanations" that Robert Sawyer produced with Joe Mahoney earlier
this year.

Do you know if "Deep Night" is an in-house CBC production or an outside
production purchased for air? This is exciting news! Is there a webpage on
the CBC site for it?

-N25

Y Know

Jul 6, 2005, 9:18:51 AM7/6/05
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:22:23 -0400, Y Know took a sip and read what
"Nightfall-25" <Ne...@Nightfall-25.com> wrote:

>Archie,
>
>I didn't realize there was anything new coming down the pipe other than the
>pilot for "Emmanations" that Robert Sawyer produced with Joe Mahoney earlier
>this year.
>
>Do you know if "Deep Night" is an in-house CBC production or an outside
>production purchased for air? This is exciting news! Is there a webpage on
>the CBC site for it?
>
>-N25
>
>---
>Neil Marsh, Director

Hi Neil

Deep Night is a summer show only - ten weeks long. I don't know if it
will 'catch' on to a permanent spot or not.

It is filling the same time slot that 'Mystery Project' was placed in
before its demise.

I believe it is an in-house production - lots of familiar names
involved - Matt Wilcott, Linda Grierson. The opening show was
produced and directed by the creator of Deep Night, Gregory J St
Clair.

There isn't a web site per se for 'Deep Night' - just this listing

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/index.jsp?program=Deep+Night

The return of spine tingling radio. Deep Night is an anthology of ten
new thrillers with a twist of the fantastic. In a twilight zone where
reason abandons us to deep-seated fears, Deep Night breathes life into
our darkest imaginings of what lurks in the shadows and the deepest
recesses of our minds and hearts.

Message has been deleted

Joe Masters

Jul 6, 2005, 7:29:43 PM7/6/05
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:11:37 GMT, wowfabgroovy
<wowfab...@wowmail.com> wrote:

>Y Know <YK...@xxxrogers.com> went:

>>I am so disgusted with all the stuff in radio.misc these, any thing

>>interesting is lost in a sea of talk radio.
>

>i gave up on that group a long time ago for pretty much the same
>reason.

It's not too bad with 30 or 40 kill filters. :)

Joe

Y Know

Jul 7, 2005, 4:53:52 PM7/7/05
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:11:37 GMT, Y Know took a sip and read what
wowfabgroovy <wowfab...@wowmail.com> wrote:

>>What group would you suggest for 'Deep Night"?
>

>a while ago we (in absr.bbc) agreed that canada was british enough for
>them to go in absr.british. i don't remember if you were part of that
>or not? i don't think people specifically looking for cbc would look
>in there, so maybe an xpost to misc as well?

Yea, I was part of that discussion when I was posting the weekly
Mystery Project broadcasts.

I will get it posted to British tomorrow.

My thoughts are with the UK right now. Still have relatives living
there.

Message has been deleted

Y Know

Jul 8, 2005, 7:58:50 AM7/8/05
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:45:25 GMT, Y Know took a sip and read what
wowfabgroovy <wowfab...@wowmail.com> wrote:

>>Yea, I was part of that discussion when I was posting the weekly
>>Mystery Project broadcasts.
>

>has there been nothing since? i heard it had been cancelled, but
>assumed there would be something similar to replace it.

Nothing in the nature of a permanent mystery type series has appeared
- Deep Night is only a summer filler. Drama is still being broadcast
on the Sunday Showcase/Monday Night Playhouse vehicles as well as on
Monday Playbill (usually lighter fare)

gaffo

Jul 8, 2005, 11:38:45 PM7/8/05
Nightfall-25 wrote:

decent show..............are there better quality audios now??? the ones
I have are low fidelity from around 2001.

32-bit and noisy.....................

"after sundown" was the best one, closely followed by "they make the
news" (or some such).

--

The jury has the power to bring a verdict in the teeth of both the law
and the facts.

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Horning v. District of Columbia, 1920

Nightfall-25

Jul 10, 2005, 4:26:10 AM7/10/05
"gaffo" <ga...@usenet.net> wrote in message

> decent show..............are there better quality audios now??? the ones I
> have are low fidelity from around 2001. 32-bit and noisy

The only episodes currently available commercially are the four on the
"Nightfall - Volume 1" CD, which is available from the CBC Shop at
http://shop.cbcshop.ca. You can often find tapes from the Durkin-Hayes
Paperback Audio series from the late 90s on eBay. Very rarely you can find
the CBC Enterprises cassettes from the mid-80s. Overall, only about 30
episodes from the series' 100 were ever released.

The first 26 ran on XM Radio for about 2 years around 2002-2003, but there
have been no other syndication deals since then. It costs the CBC lots of
money to syndicate any of their drama programming due to licensing fees, so
it doesn't happen very often, unfortunately.

> "after sundown" was the best one, closely followed by "they make the news"
> (or some such).

"After Sunset" is my personal favorite episode. Brian Taylor was the first
writer I found when I started this project. He'd acted in 3 "Nightfall" eps,
then the producer just asked him out of the blue if he'd be interested in
writing one.

"Where Does the News Come From?" is the second story you're thinking of.
Another really good one.

The episode that runs a close second to "After Sunset" for me is "Welcome to
Homerville". Just *creepy*. I can't hear a flute playing really low notes
anymore without getting the chills. ;)

-N25

---
Neil Marsh, Director * Ne...@Nightfall-25.com
The Nightfall-25 Project * http://www.Nightfall-25.com

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

gaffo

Jul 11, 2005, 10:42:12 PM7/11/05
wowfabgroovy wrote:
> gaffo <ga...@usenet.net> went:
> a while ago, a few of us pooled our resources and posted several
> stereo and good quality mono encodes of both nightfall and vanishing
> point episodes. someone else posted copies of the episodes on sat
> radio as they were broadcast each week. presumably nobody bothered
> downloading them, because the same crappy mono copies with wrong names
> and missing endings are still being posted over and over again.
> presumably by people who have never listened to them.

thanks for the update wfg!!..............i've been awol for at least a yr.

I lost my usenetrocket access a few months ago.............and been way
too busy to re-up it.

add to that remodelling an old 90-yr old home has me not doing any
usenet stuff ;-(.

- well hopefully there will be more interest in the posts you refer to
in the future!!

............I have some stuff I actually bought from "Radio Texas
theater" - which I will gladly post to some group (I still wish we had a
NEW RADIO DRAMA catagory to do this!!)...................oh well............

I have to remodel my bathroom first - so maybe in 6 months time i'll
upload them.

peace wfg - hope all is well in the "old country"..........sorry to hear
of the attacks. ;-(.

- thanks for all the wonderfull BBC radiodramas you have provide me and
others over the years!! ;-).
--

Alexander Hamilton, 1804

Message has been deleted

Nick Palmer

Aug 19, 2020, 12:34:26 PM8/19/20
Picking up a 15-year-old thread here, but curious if anyone has high quality digital versions of DEEP NIGHT episodes? I've got tons of great radio drama in FLAC, WAV and high quality Mp3s.