Chief Wolfpaw

Jim

Mar 27, 2001, 4:00:42 AM3/27/01
I'm 48 and I recently visited my retired Dad, who is almost 77.

He grew up loving radio, and speaks often of his favorite show, Chief
Wolfpaw.

Seemingly, it was a serial-type radio show series that offered premiums and
toys for kids.

I decided to try to find it on CD for him.....he'd love it.

I went to several search engines, typed in 'Chief Wolfpaw,' and got
back........nothing.

It's the first time in my life that I've typed in keywords into a search
engine and got absolutely nothing. So, now, I'm both perplexed and
interested myself.

Was there a Chief Wolfpaw? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Jim

Wildhorse

Mar 27, 2001, 5:33:32 PM3/27/01

You sure it was spelled that way? Couldn't find anything with a very deep
and extensive (mutiple web search engines) web search for it.

"Jim" <sonic...@exciteREMOVE.com> wrote in message

Jim

Mar 27, 2001, 10:52:48 PM3/27/01
Wildhorse, thank you for your reply.....I appreciate it.

I called my father to grill him on this one (just kidding), because as
aforementioned, it's the only time that I've done a search on the internet
and have gotten back nothing, nada, zip. To me, this makes it even more
mysterious. So.........

..........I called my father and revealed my foiled attempt at surprising
him at his birthday with Chief Wolfpaw.

Now, it is a crusade into radioland.

Here are the facts, just the facts:

Unlike I was originally told, the name of the show, even though it was a
long-running serial, was not "Chief Wolfpaw." He couldn't remember the name
of the show, but Chief Wolfpaw was the main man.

I said, "The Lone Ranger?" My father replied, "That was Tonto and Chief
Wolfpaw made Tonto look like a wimp." (A couple of cups of real coffee and
those brain cells start kickin' in. Now, don't take it too seriously, as I
grew up watching the Lone Ranger and Tonto on TV. I think my Dad was just
kidding me.)

I asked, "Can you remember when it was on?" We figured out 1934 for sure.

The show was very big on premiums from cashed-in Wrigley gum wrappers.

The main premium was a badge, probably of gold-colored tin, with a wolf paw
print on the front and a safety pin attachment on the back. (Hey, if I were
a 10 year-old in 1934, that *would* be a pretty cool premium.)

My last question: "Was the show local, regional or national?" It was
national.

My father also confirmed the spelling: Chief Wolfpaw. (I think that he
probably memorized it while chewing all of that gum.)

So, my surprise birthday gift plans are no longer a surprise, but I'm going
wacky trying to 'find' the good Chief.

To me, the main facts are: Spelling confirmation, the Wrigley connection,
it was a western, it was a national show, and it was on for sure in 1934.

I can't thank you enough for caring to ask about it. To me, it's a
mystery.....a real mystery......and, I am going to try to solve it.

There's got to be someone else out there who knows, and I am not counting
out going through the back door, i.e., find out via Wrigley.

I apologize that the name of the show was not "Chief Wolfpaw," as I had been
originally led to believe. But, I have no reason to doubt any of the other
facts.

Any and all comments and/or advice is both welcomed and appreciated in
advance.

I will report the findings, I promise.

~ Jim ~

Wildhorse <wi...@horse.net> wrote in message

Jim

Mar 28, 2001, 12:58:34 AM3/28/01
I discovered proof that Chief Wolfpaw exists........but, the article was
from 1997, and the author can no longer be located. It mentions the
following:

"....collection of fan club items from the Chief Wolf Paw radio show......."

So, I finally found proof that my father, although not too keen at spelling,
was correct.

Now, it's time to go digging for 'stuff.'

Thanks to everyone.

Jim

Jim <sonic...@exciteREMOVE.com> wrote in message

Terry

Mar 28, 2001, 2:34:26 AM3/28/01
Did a search on "Chief Wolf Paw" and found this...(see if your dad
recognizes the club secret greetings):

"I have a story for the P.K.Wrigley Co. that dates back to the early l930's,
and of course before the days of TV, but in the early days of radio
advertising. Five afternoons a week we were treated to a wonderful broadcast
promoting Double-mint Gum and the adventures of Chief Wolf Paw. It was a
fascinating story to follow, but in addition we were invited to save the
wrappers from Double-mint, because on reaching a certain number of wrappers
and sending them to the Wrigley Co., we could be enrolled in the Chief Wolf
Paw Club, receive an official membership card, a pin the shape of an
arrowhead, but best of all the proper greeting and reply on meeting a fellow
member. There were other benefits that could be earned by collecting more
wrappers. There was the secret formula for writing messages to other
members. Only members would be privy to how to make the invisible writing
reappear. I have long since lost the formula, but I remember some
ingredients and think it might be worth the effort to recreate it.

The normal lifetime progression occurred in my life, and the Chief Wolf Paw
Club was more or less forgotten, but not totally. I have not made an exact
determination as to the year of the following experience, but it very likely
was during the 1970's. A friend from Milwaukee, Jack Morrissey, gathered a
group of men together for a fishing trip to Canada. There were some in the
group I had never met before, one being a sports announcer, Tom Collins.

We flew to a remote lake in Canada, and paired off two to a boat for
fishing. My partner, and longtime good friend, was Pete Heid from Appleton.
Early the first morning Pete and I left the dock to find the best spot to
catch the big ones. As we left the lake and proceeded into a small stream, I
was struck by the quiet and solitude that surrounded us, and made the
statement to Pete, "If it weren't for the sound of the motor I would feel as
if we could meet Father Marquette around the next bend." Father Marquette,
the French explorer, was familiar to us because he had travelled the Fox
River, which flows through our city.

As we approached the next bend, we spotted another of our boats, the one
containing Tom Collins. My reaction was to stand up, extend my right arm
palm up, and call-out "HO-WA-HO-SAWAKA." - the greeting to a fellow member.
Much to my surprise, Tom Collins stood up, put his right arm across his
chest with his hand over his heart, and answered, "BA-NE-NA-NEE-NAH", which
was the proper reply from another Club member. I had never met this man
until two days before, but there was no doubt that we had both been members
of the Double-mint CHIEF WOLF PAW Club back in the '30's. I have not seen
Tom Collins since that trip, but I hope I will some day so we can repeat our
greeting."

Hope this sheds some light....Terry

Jim <sonic...@exciteREMOVE.com> wrote in message

Jim

Mar 28, 2001, 5:50:03 AM3/28/01
Great news, Terry! Thank you very much!

I did some searching, too, and found what appeared to be notes from a school
reunion, where different class members had written short stories. One
mentioned the Chief Wolf Paw program.

Thank you for posting your findings.

My Dad was born around 1924, so the Depression hit when he was about 5
years-old.....probably not a fun time to be a poor kid in Arkansas (which
wasn't a super-rich state to begin with). So, when Chief Wolf Paw hit the
airwaves in 1934, my father was probably in the 4th or 5th grade, smack dab
in the middle of the Depression.

He still tells stories about how strangers would come to his parent's home,
asking for food.....and, how his mother always found something for them to
eat. When facing that situation as stark reality, the comfort of being in
the Chief Wolf Paw audience must have been a great escape.

Terry, as you know from your search, the actual programs and other
information about the series is still, well, elusive. If I can find some
info or old shows, I'll share them with the group for sure.

I've got to go and learn my Chief Wolf Paw greeting.....it's worth it just
to see what my father's reaction will be.

Thanks again.

Jim

Terry <mal...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Elizabeth McLeod

Mar 28, 2001, 8:27:52 AM3/28/01
Jim wrote:

> To me, the main facts are: Spelling confirmation, the Wrigley connection,
> it was a western, it was a national show, and it was on for sure in 1934.
>
> I can't thank you enough for caring to ask about it. To me, it's a
> mystery.....a real mystery......and, I am going to try to solve it.
>
> There's got to be someone else out there who knows, and I am not counting
> out going through the back door, i.e., find out via Wrigley.

The show you're looking for must be "Lone Wolf Tribe," which aired over CBS
for Wrigley's from 1/4/32 thru 5/5/33 -- this was the only juvenile adventure
series to be sponsored by Wrigleys during the 1930s. It was a
three-times-a-week series, broadcast from Chicago, and aired at 4:45 pm
Central time.

Unfortunately, no recordings of the program are known to exist, and it is
unlikely that any were made -- CBS had no equipment for making recordings
until 1938, so the only chance that any recordings were made is if some
performer associated with the series hired an independent studio to make an
aircheck. It's possible such a recording lurks in the back of a closet
somewhere, but it's not likely.

rt

Mar 28, 2001, 8:55:27 AM3/28/01
Jim
:

There is still a picture of the premeium at this ebay auction. It closed in
January with no bids. If you're not registered with ebay and want to
contact the seller let me know. You can save the pic by right clicking it.

rt

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=548016585&tc=photo35

This is old, but maybe she can tell about the show:
Name: Joanne Lyon
Email:joa...@pobox.upenn.edu

Date: Monday, April 21, 1997 at 10:27:35
Comments:
Does anyone know how I could get a collection of fan club items from the
Chief Wolf Paw radio show appraised? I have several envelopes from the show
addressed to my aunt in to 20-30's. Inside are the letters from the show and
the fan club items - code book, pendant, bracelet, ring, etc. I would love
to sell them to someone who would truly appreciate them but I would like to
know what they are worth first. Thank you for your time

Wildhorse

Mar 28, 2001, 8:01:11 PM3/28/01

"Elizabeth McLeod" <liz...@midcoast.com> wrote in message

> Jim wrote:
> Unfortunately, no recordings of the program are known to exist, and it is
> unlikely that any were made -- CBS had no equipment for making recordings
> until 1938, so the only chance that any recordings were made is if some
> performer associated with the series hired an independent studio to make
an
> aircheck. It's possible such a recording lurks in the back of a closet
> somewhere, but it's not likely.

History is so crual something, I sure would have wished to sample that
show. But, life is a never ending cycle of creation and destruction, those
memories of those shows will remain for ever hetched into the minds that
grew up with them. Long live OTR!

rt

Mar 28, 2001, 10:08:56 PM3/28/01
Search on title "The Lone Wolf Tribe" at ebay home page(covers all
catagories) to see active items. Then click on "search completed items" and
you'll find some neat pictures of premiums from the show. More info under
search for "The Lone Wolf Tribe" at www.google.com

This auction ends tomorrow. Premium mentions Wolf Paw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1126434483

rt

Jim

Mar 28, 2001, 11:34:51 PM3/28/01
I want to thank all of the posters here who volunteered their time and
search engine skills in finding out about Chief Wolf Paw.

Fantastic job. I appreciate it very much.

I had found the notice from 1997, but I could not find the poster. She had
closed the email account before offering a forwarding address.

I had found the 'fishing story,' but under what appeared to be letters from
a school reunion.

Thank you very much for the radio history of the show......that was great.

And, as for the eBay items, again, thank you very much. Last night, I
looked and immediately bid.

So, I got a history lesson, and my father is going to get a really neat
birthday present.

I love happen endings. I only wish that the show would (or, perhaps,
'could') have been recorded. It would be neat to listen to it.

And, again, thank you all for introducing me to the world of OTR. I grew up
in the 50's with black and white television, Sky King, and The Lone Ranger.

I look forward to obtaining and enjoying some of the great old time radio
programs.

I began by looking for a birthday present for my father. I now have gained:
a present for my father; a new hobby; and, a newsgroup of new friends.
Hopefully, someday I can repay you for your time and assistance.

Thank you very much. You've made a father, and his son, very happy.

P.S. Shhhhh.....don't tell my father....it's a surprise, ok?

~ Jim ~

Wildhorse

Mar 29, 2001, 8:06:05 PM3/29/01

Now, if only dad could remember the script of each show we might be able to
recover that wonderful audio treasure ;]

"Jim" <sonic...@exciteREMOVE.com> wrote in message

Black Ops

Mar 30, 2001, 3:05:55 AM3/30/01
Hey Elizabeth, since you seem to be the one who would know... any chance
that this stuff is sitting in the Library of Congress? Or do you know how
to check? I think everybody wants to hear some of it now, and even if we
can't, it would be nice to know that at least it still exists.

"Elizabeth McLeod" <liz...@midcoast.com> wrote in message

Wildhorse

Mar 30, 2001, 6:10:57 AM3/30/01

"Black Ops" <n...@mail.com> wrote in message

> Hey Elizabeth, since you seem to be the one who would know... any chance
> that this stuff is sitting in the Library of Congress? Or do you know how
> to check? I think everybody wants to hear some of it now, and even if we
> can't, it would be nice to know that at least it still exists.

I'd highly doubt that would be the case if no backups were made before the
date mentioned. Anywhere. Although, like you, I would surely love to hear
at least 1 show of it.

Elizabeth McLeod

Mar 30, 2001, 8:13:12 AM3/30/01
Black Ops wrote:

> Hey Elizabeth, since you seem to be the one who would know... any chance
> that this stuff is sitting in the Library of Congress? Or do you know how
> to check? I think everybody wants to hear some of it now, and even if we
> can't, it would be nice to know that at least it still exists.

Unfortunately, LOC isn't known to hold any examples of this particular series
-- indeed, they have comparatively little CBS-originated material of any sort.
Most of the Library's holdings are NBC, WOR-Mutual, and AFRS/OWI material.
There's now a handy online database for searching the LOC broadcast collection
-- visit
http://star1.loc.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/0?path=sonic.txt&id=webber&pass=webb1&OK=OK
and select "Radio Broadcasts" in order to search. This database lists a large
chunk of the collection, but not everything has yet been catalogued.

I had mentioned in a previous post that the best shot for an example of this
series surviving would be for a performer to have ordered an aircheck from an
independent studio -- that's a long shot, but not entirely out of the
question. Another more remote possibility is that the program was recorded for
"extension spotting" by the sponsor, or distribution to stations not on the
wire network. A few CBS shows of the 1931-32 era were so recorded by an outfit
called Judson Radio Program Corporation -- but all the examples I know of were
New York-based programs and not Chicago-originated shows like "Lone Wolf Tribe."

The third possibility is that the sponsor had reference recordings made. I
think it's safe to discard this one, however -- a friend of mine in Chicago
inspected the Wrigley Company's surviving radio recordings some years ago, and
found nothing dating before the 1940s.

So, I guess I have to conclude that if this show exists anywhere, it's as a
small stack of silver-colored aluminum records in some actor's family's attic
(or in an obscure corner of some record collector's collection...)

vrl...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2017, 7:23:08 PM2/4/17
I woke up this morning thinking about my father's 'wake-up' mantra...."Howa Hosa-Bwaka - Bonne Honee Nah" and decided to do a google search. And Lo! and Behold, 16 years ago you all had this conversation. My Dad is 94 years old, turning 95 in April, and we grew up with stories of Chief Wolf Paw, which he was hooked on as a child. I'm going to copy each one of your entries for him to read. If any of you out there have discovered more, I'd love to hear from you. The fishing story....amazing!

Dave Garrett

Feb 5, 2017, 7:06:54 PM2/5/17

bobsl...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2018, 1:05:46 PM4/1/18

bobsl...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2018, 1:06:53 PM4/1/18

bobsl...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2018, 1:08:14 PM4/1/18

bobsl...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2018, 1:47:10 PM4/1/18
Dear Jim, Around 10 years ago, I ordered a bunch of Old Time Radio Western CD's because it had shows I didn't have in my collection! Among those shows was a show called: "Lone Wolf Tribe!" I never have heard of it before!So, I went back to listen to them to see what they were about! They were scratchy and at sections hard to listen to! I seem to recall some drums beating and Chief Wolf Paw who was played by a very young Don Ameche, narrating the show! There were at least 2 or 3 shows! The person I bought the collection from recorded them in a mode that wouldn't play on my mp3 CD player!So, my brother re'recorded them for me on his recorder, which allowed me to listen to them!They were in such poor quality that I put them aside!If they had wire recorders back then, maybe someone recorded them from the radio by microphone,etc:I looked for them again when I first saw your Posts! I tried to see if the person who offered those shows was still offering them! But, I haven't found them! I am 77 now and I listened to the radio from the 1940's to the 1950's! I will try to see if I can locate them, and hopefully if I do, I will send a copy of them to you!I would be happy to know what your fathers reaction would be!I hope I can find them for you! I will do a through search for them!I have been collecting OTR since 1967!Keep your fingers crossed for me! Is your father still living , I hope so! Best Wishes, Bob Slate

chav...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2020, 5:39:59 AM1/20/20
THANK YOU DAVE! I only just found your reply today.... Chief Wolf Paw lives on in our family.

Dave Garrett

Jan 20, 2020, 7:15:17 PM1/20/20
In article <3245ec5f-0d39-4c72...@googlegroups.com>,
chav...@gmail.com says...
You're welcome, glad to be of assistance.

I think in the future I will point to this thread as a useful
counterexample whenever someone gets mocked for replying to years-old
(or in this case, decades-old) posts. :)

--
Dave

bobsl...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2020, 1:34:50 PM3/22/20
Hi Dave, I am not making fun of The Posts Of Lone Wolf Tribe of many years ago! I thought I had a CD of the show ! Apparently it was a show with a name similar to Lone Wolf Tribe from the East Coast! Anyway, I can't find them! Jim who Posted on March 27, 2001 trying to find shows for his father , I never noticed the date he Posted his messages untill a few months ago! So, I assume the father has passed away, as the Post was 19 or 20 years ago!I'm truly sorry about that! I hoped Jim found some of the recorded shows for his father!But, apparently they were never recorded in the early 1930's! My apologies for that! I collect Lone Wolf Tribe Premiums! I need the Bracelet!Is there anyway I can get ahold of Jim?I was wondering if he still checks this site for new messages! Thank you! Best Wishes, Bob