Return to Paper Plates

Steve Hallford

Jul 2, 2002, 10:25:23 PM7/2/02
In the mid to late 1960's Stan Freiberg produced a series of comedy soap
operas and funny advertisments for radio subscription, not unlike the old
National Lampoon Radio Hour. The soap opera series was called "Return to
Paper Plates". Long ago I had a sample recording of some of the shows. Does
anyone have any information on this or programs like this?

fhal...@aol.com

Bill Ross

Jul 3, 2002, 9:27:13 AM7/3/02

Steve,
I have the Paper Plates series. I think it may be complete but I'm not
sure of that. There are 65 episodes plus 2 promo announcements.
The whole series amounts to just under 18 meg, so it's not that big.
If you want them I could upload the files to
alt.binaries.sound.radio.misc
Let me know if you want me to do that. Post a reply here, or email me.

S.O. Meone

Jul 8, 2002, 5:00:26 AM7/8/02
Thanks Bill!

I think that man "Carl Morgan" sounds a lot like Neil Bortz? I s that
how you spell it?

S.O. Meone

On Wed, 03 Jul 2002 13:27:13 GMT, Bill Ross <otr-...@attbi.com>

furrb...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 9:03:19 AM8/17/16
For what it's worth, it was called "SUPERFUN - The Radio Comedy Service", and was created and distributed by Mel Blanc Associates (Stan Freberg had nothing to do with these); but the talent Mel had on board was phenomenal. Besides Mel, the players included Arte Johnson, Gary Owens, Joan Gerber, Byron Kane, Lennie Weinrib, Jesse White, John Stephenson (and those are just the ones I can remember!). Mel's son Noel was the producer, as I recall, and the head writer was Richard Clorfene (co-creator of "A Child's Garden Of Grass"!!). Besides "Return To Paper Plates", there was also "The Story Lady" (also featuring Joan Gerber and Byron Kane), as well as "Jerry Cosgrove" (Arte Johnson), The Off-Stage Announcer (Gary Owens), and other sublime silliness. The series was later reissued shortly before Mel's death by All-Star Radio under the title "Mel Blanc's Blankity Blancs". Thus endeth the Cliff's Notes history of Superfun. :)