Advice on Bellsouth 1080 GMRS radios needed, any good?

Dan

Mar 13, 2002, 12:53:23 PM3/13/02
I'll try again here. Here is what I MEANT to ask (other post screwed
up). I just bought a pair of Bellsouth GMRS Model 1080 radios, 2W hi,
.5W lo, 15 channels (7 shared), 38 subs. I got them for $49.99 after
$10 mail in rebate. How do these stack up against others in the price
range (under $100/pair performance and range wise?). I read some
reviews on Bellsouth radios which weren't too favorable, but this
model was never mentioned. Are these adequate (just as good as other
nearby this price), or am I better trading these in for FRS at the
same price. I noticed these make a loud confirmation chirp anytime you
do something such as change channels, which I don't think you can set
to a lower volume or mute, very annoying. The volume controls only go
so far down, before clicking off. The lowest volume level is still
moderately loud.. It has VOX and scan. Also, will these radios be any
good on the freeway for traffic and "smokey" reports from other
motorists? I just bought these yesterday, and as I never had these
before, don't have any experience to compare them to, and didn't get a
real chance to test them yet, maybe this weekend. As I live in
Cleveland, there area is sort of flat, with some hilly areas
surrounding. TIA, and sorry about the other erroneous post, don't know
what happened there.

Dan

Randy A. Hefner

Mar 13, 2002, 7:33:45 PM3/13/02
Well since you already got your GMRS license from the FCC, you might
as well stick with the GMRS radios...You did get your license, didn't
you?

Dan

Mar 14, 2002, 4:34:42 AM3/14/02
Licensing is my second question. I just bought the radios not two days
ago, and once I figure out how to get the license, doesn't it take a
while to get sent to you? The manual with the radio gives a website
addy (http://wireless.fcc.gov/prs/genmbl.html) on getting a license.
It's hard to make heads or tails out of this site. Am I reading this
right that the licemse is $75!? If so, this ties into the question in
my first post.
Are the radios I have that much better than FRS that investing in a
license would be worth it vs. returning the radios and getting FRS, if
indeed the range isn't all that much better, and/or Bellsouth radios
may not perform well according to some articles that I read. This is
what I need to find out. If it's not going to perform any better than
a .5 watt FRS, why bother with the Bellsouth GMRS and an expensive
license? My Bellsouth radios have permanently attached stubby antennas
and no provsion for an external antenna (that I can see or read in the
manual), so it's like an FRS in that respect. Also, the licensing, as
far as I understand covers a entire family. I'm an individual without
a family. My intent was for example, camping/hiking with friends. So,
it is not legal for me to give the other radio to my other camping
friend for safety reasons (getting lost/trouble while hiking) while it
would be perfectly OK if that person was related to me? TIA

Dan

Mahatma Kane Jeeves

Mar 14, 2002, 1:14:31 PM3/14/02
> Licensing is my second question.
[snip]

If you don't mind the size, and you can endure the absolutely moronic
drivel that exists on every channel, wouldn't a 5-watt CB be a good
alternative to a GMRS?

Randy A. Hefner

Mar 14, 2002, 2:51:15 PM3/14/02
The less expensive GMRS radios with the permanantly attached antennas
do not work that much better than FRS radios. If you buy the more
expensive ones with removeable antennas, they do work better.

Yes, the license is about $80. It covers all your family. It does
NOT cover your friends! If you are going to use a radio with friends,
you may want to stick with FRS radios if you can live with its
limitations. If you need the "5-mile" range, you may want to try the
newer MURS radio service. It is license-free. MURS uses the VHF band
(FRS uses UHF). Removable antennas are allowed and you can have up to
2-watts ERP. A good set of hand-held MURS radios should get you close
to the 5-mile range you are looking for.

G. M. Alf

Mar 15, 2002, 12:53:09 AM3/15/02
On 14 Mar 2002 10:14:31 -0800, mahatmak...@swissinfo.org
(Mahatma Kane Jeeves) wrote:

The duck antennas that come with CB hand helds radiate only a little
better than a 50 ohm resistor. :)

Mike

Dan

Mar 15, 2002, 2:24:35 PM3/15/02
Thanks everyone for your input. The CB option is really out for me. I
also wanted to be able to get road and smokey reports while on the
road. At first thought a CB would sound logical. However my being on
the road is working for a company deliverting evenings/nights all over
Northeast Ohio here with company vans. I never know which van (of
many) I'd be assigned that evening, so because of that, and because
they are company vans, I couldn't permanently install a CB and
antenna. It also seems like it may be impractical to be lugging around
a portable and magnetic antenna. My company has rules that stuff like
that can't be attached to vans. They do provide a cellphone, and I
have my own cellphone, but there is really no one to call for road
conditions/smokey reports. As a walkie-talkie 27mhz CB won't work with
a stubby antenna inside a vehicle (I already have one 5 watts), I was
looking to handheld GMRS. But now I tried it on the road a couple
times now, and it seems there is very little traffic on there, and
none it seems pertaining to road conditions. Also, as in my other
post, for camping, etc. uses. However I think $80 license fee is
outrageous just for an individual without a family to pay where the
radio may only be used a few times a year (with friends) for safety
reasons. I looked up MURS, these radios don't seem to widely
available, and the ones I did see (Maxon), would run over $350 for a
pair, which I can't afford. So my options are narrowed. So guess I'll
take the GMRS back and try the cheaper FRS if one of my purposes is
ruled out anyway (road), at least I have a radar detector that helps.
Again thanks, and if any more suggestions, let me know.

Dan

Mike S.

Mar 26, 2002, 9:09:07 AM3/26/02

In article <b03b87e2.02031...@posting.google.com>,

Randy A. Hefner <randy_NO_S...@frs-usa.com> wrote:
>The less expensive GMRS radios with the permanantly attached antennas
>do not work that much better than FRS radios. If you buy the more
>expensive ones with removeable antennas, they do work better.

Are there any inexpensive GMRS bubble-pack radios having removeable
antennas?

The Audiovox GMRS-1535 does, although you need to actually play with one
to find out, as it is not documented anywhere. The duckie has a SMA
connector and unscrews. I tried a 5/8 wave duckie using a SMA-BNC adaptor,
and it's a whole different radio. But AAA cells don't give you much
battery life, and the audio on this model sucks.

Any bigger/better inexpensive models with removebale antennas - perferably
ones that use AA cells?

Phil Stripling

Mar 26, 2002, 12:57:29 PM3/26/02
rets...@xinap.moc (Mike S.) writes:

>SNIP<

> battery life, and the audio on this model sucks.

It sucks big time. My wife and I took one to our local Fry's computer
store. I could hear her fine on my Cobra 1000, but all she got was static
and some garbled voice. I definitely don't recommend this unit if you'll be
using it other than in an open field.

> Any bigger/better inexpensive models with removebale antennas - perferably
> ones that use AA cells?

The Cobra 1000 uses SMA and 8 AAs. We've had them for over a year, and they
work great, inside and out. Only problem is bulk and weight. Louise doesn't
want to carry it because it's too big for her waistband (often no belt) and
too heavy for her small purse.

Any suggestions on a smaller unit? (that works)

http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | civex.com is read daily.

Mike S.

Mar 26, 2002, 1:42:32 PM3/26/02

In article <3qpu1r1...@shell4.tdl.com>,

Phil Stripling <phil_st...@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
>rets...@xinap.moc (Mike S.) writes:
>
>>SNIP<
>> battery life, and the audio on this model sucks.
>>

>It sucks big time. My wife and I took one to our local Fry's computer
>store. I could hear her fine on my Cobra 1000, but all she got was static
>and some garbled voice. I definitely don't recommend this unit if you'll be
>using it other than in an open field.
>
>> Any bigger/better inexpensive models with removeable antennas - perferably

>> ones that use AA cells?
>
>The Cobra 1000 uses SMA and 8 AAs. We've had them for over a year, and they
>work great, inside and out. Only problem is bulk and weight. Louise doesn't
>want to carry it because it's too big for her waistband (often no belt) and
>too heavy for her small purse.
>
>Any suggestions on a smaller unit? (that works)

Yep. To expand on my question - I use a Pryme 460, but my SO says it's too
heavy and makes her look like law enforcement. She doesn't mind a smaller
radio with a slightly oversized antenna added, so she carries the tiny
Audiovox 1535 which has the deficiencies described, and does not work too
well with "real" GMRS radios.

I think, though, the size/weight of the Cobra 1000 would still be
objectionable to her. There are some "intermediate" size plastic GMRS
portables that use four AA cells ... any of them have removeable antennas?

Mike S.

Apr 2, 2002, 2:58:07 PM4/2/02

In article <3qpu1r1...@shell4.tdl.com>,
Phil Stripling <phil_st...@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
>rets...@xinap.moc (Mike S.) writes:
>
>>SNIP<
>> battery life, and the audio on this model sucks.
>>

>It sucks big time. My wife and I took one to our local Fry's computer
>store. I could hear her fine on my Cobra 1000, but all she got was static
>and some garbled voice. I definitely don't recommend this unit if you'll be
>using it other than in an open field.
>
>> Any bigger/better inexpensive models with removebale antennas - perferably
>> ones that use AA cells?
>
>The Cobra 1000 uses SMA and 8 AAs. We've had them for over a year, and they
>work great, inside and out. Only problem is bulk and weight. Louise doesn't
>want to carry it because it's too big for her waistband (often no belt) and
>too heavy for her small purse.
>
>Any suggestions on a smaller unit? (that works)

Maybe.

The Memorex MK1995 (Genex GR-1000) uses four AA cells and has a removeable
SMA suckie antenna similar to the Audiovox GMRS-1535. It is about the same
size as the larger Audiovox (GMRS-1525) but weighs more due to batteries.

Amazingly all these radios come from different manufacturers (Trident, J
Communications, Genex) but use the strikingly similar controls, displays,
and control logic ... not to mention the same numbering for CTCSS codes.
I was albe to use the Memorex without even reading the manual, based on my
knowledge of the Audiovox 1535.

It also benefits from a better antenna. The "better duckie" I bought for
my Pryme PR-460 is the BNC-based "440-10" from Transel. It's a 5/8 wave
with perhaps 2-3 dB gain over the stubby ducks usually shipped with small
radios. With an SMA-BNC adaptor it interfaces nicely with small plastic
radios - but, believe it or not, a metal adaptor weighs as much (or
more) than the antenna. I'd like a 5/8 wave 460 MHz duckie on an SMA base
... any ideas?

Phil Stripling

Apr 2, 2002, 8:22:18 PM4/2/02
rets...@xinap.moc (Mike S.) writes:

> The Memorex MK1995 (Genex GR-1000) uses four AA cells and has a removeable
> SMA suckie antenna similar to the Audiovox GMRS-1535. It is about the same
> size as the larger Audiovox (GMRS-1525) but weighs more due to batteries.

Have you used one? The issue I'm concerned about is the quality of
reception, especially in big stores with florescent fixtures (which I
assume is a problem for the Audiovox).

>SNIP<

> It also benefits from a better antenna. The "better duckie" I bought for

Now that's a thought. I'm not unhappy with SMA antennas. (Louise's ham HT
has an SMA, and it doesn't seem to give her problems.)

>SNIP<

> I'd like a 5/8 wave 460 MHz duckie on an SMA base
> ... any ideas?

No, but that's a thought for the AudioVox so that we haven't wasted the 50
bucks I paid for it. I'll try a larger BNC antenna on it, using the SMA/
BNC adapter.

Dick Gue

Apr 2, 2002, 9:51:04 PM4/2/02
check at http://www.alfenterprises.com/gmrs_accessories.htm. They show a
5/8 antenna that is available with a SMA mount for $17.00

Dick